Forum Index > Food & Grub > Salt and re-hydration on the trail.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat May 22, 2004 9:57 pm 
Kevin wrote:
if you are dehydrated, you could always drink water and your body will take care of the rest.
This is almost right. Don't wait until you're dehydrated to drink water. I had a horrible problem with dehydration in past years. I got to where I was drinking up to a gallon (NO exaggeration) of water while on a hike to try to avoid the headache and nausea of dehydration. I still got sick, practically every hike. Sports drinks didn't do the trick, electrolyte powders didn't help. What DID do the trick was that I learned to remain hydrated throughout the week. I hadn't been drinking enough water throughout the week, and had expected the gallon while on the trail that day, to carry me through, or the sports drinks to do it all for me in one day. I add some juice or PowerAde to my water and that helps. When planning a particularly difficult trip, I load up on extra water in the week prior, and take along PowerAde and packets of GU. GU is the best squirt on the market. I've tried others, but GU works best for me. GU rocks. The stupid part is, is that I started drinking alot of water during the week because I had had a gross dream about my innards sticking together, and that freaked me out. I started drinking a lot of water every day and voila! no more chronic problem.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message