Forum Index > Trip Reports > Deception Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
harinama

harinama
PostWed May 19, 2004 2:57 pm 
Well, got a bit ancy and wanted to try out my new pack and can stove so i did an early season hike up Deception Creek (Alpine Lakes) last weekend. Wow, the trail was pretty much a mess with dozens of downed trees, destroyed wooden trail supports, and quite a bit of snow in places. I arrived at about 6:30 pm, and was actually able to get about 3.5 miles in before night fall. Next day was pretty bad, and i only averaged about 1 mile/hour (and i usually get about 2.5), and spent quite a bit of time post holing and route finding. At about 5miles in there is a series of log-bridges over the "creek"(looked more like a river to me..). Omg that was so hairy, 3ft snow drifts over logs that were 6-10feet over the ground. Luckily i made it over safely, but i wouldnt recommend it to the faint of heart(or anyone with brains for that matter). I took the turnoff up to the ridge/lakes, but got to within 1/2 mile of the pct(i think), and was too pooped to posthole/routefind over the top. So i just camped at the turnoff about 7.5mi in from the trailhead. I plowed all the way out the next day in about 4 hours, with only minor incidents(one fall nearly broke my wrist i think..) Hiking in the mtns in May is always a challenge, and always humbling. Gators and waterproof boots are a must! I'm happy to say that, after some adjustments, my new pack was awesome!(aether 75), and my homemade cat can stove worked like a charm, even near freezing. Thankgod I am also going to get a new tent(squall by tarptent), as mine decided to leak quite a bit. This was also the first major hike for some boots that were new to me(sportiva's), and they did great-only blisters on the heals instead of entire foot like other boots/hikes. Now if i can just keep my feet from sweating...maybe some antipersirant? Key to early season hiking, be over prepared, and don't be too ambitious. Keep it simple and safe. I'm new to these forums, and have to say i love all of the great info and advice i've seen. Thanx!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 19, 2004 4:42 pm 
Well then, a harty *welcome* to you. Sorry about the wrist. Did you enter the trail via the trail head off of US 2? Or did you enter the trail off of the Tonga Ridge road? Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
harinama

harinama
PostThu May 20, 2004 9:08 am 
entered from hwy 2. So nice to have great hikes so close to Seattle. (1.5 hours from house-trailhead with "good" traffic) thanx for the welcome! biggrin.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu May 20, 2004 10:10 pm 
yeah I hiked up from hwy. 2 a few miles, 2 weeks ago. What a great trail with a raging river and old growth. Nice spot for a quick overnighter, with an island campsight below the first huge bridge.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 21, 2004 8:34 am 
I plan on going in via Tonga ridge and catching the Deception trail from there. I'd like to do that Square trip Thomas D. did last summer. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln