Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mason Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostSat May 22, 2004 6:15 pm 
Took my Scout troop up for a late hike and overnight stay. Left the trailhead at 7:20 and got to the lake at 9:40. The new trail is in very good shape (I still like the old trail better) and easy to follow in the dark. The weather was foggy which looked cool with the fog blowing over the ridge. From the high talus fields we were able to catch a glimpse of the lights in North Bend. I was a little disappointed when we got to the lake and group of adult hikers were having a fire. I had to remind the 5 young boys in my group that fires were against the regulations and even though it was cold and misty we could not have a fire. We got rained on all night and morning, so instead of roaming the hills and lakes of the area we packed up camp and called it a day. Still a great hike and time in the mountains. I just wish people would follow the regulations so I don't have to continually preach to my scouts the importance of following rules.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostSat May 22, 2004 6:28 pm 
I almost went there today. You probably couldn't see anything because of the weather, but just in case. Did you notice any snow in the surrounding hills?

solohiker

solohiker
PostSat May 22, 2004 8:46 pm 
Craig, we did a thru-hike today from the Talapus Lake TH to the Mason Lake TH. I can tell you that the Rainbow lake valley is FULL of snow. Route finding is tricky, take a compass if you go! Coming from the Talapus side (east) we ran into solid snow at the talus crossing well after the Pratt saddle (which was totally clear - and there were only a few patches of snow between Talapus and Ollalie). From there everything was blanketed under several feet of snow until the descent to Mason. Flowers are popping out a lot on the Mason Lake trail. Would like to try again soon if we get a sunny day, to see the views that were totally obscured by clouds today.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun May 23, 2004 5:46 am 
Went up to Mason Lake via the old trail on Thursday; intent was to make a loop out the new trail with a side trip to Bandera. Did not hit any snow until Mason Lake - or what we could see of it. It was totally, completely fogged in. The only snow appeared to be at the outlet, after crossing it seemed clear. Returned on the new trail, skipped Bandera as it was completely fogged in too. There were several cars at the trailhead for a Thursday am, the new trail has really raised interest in this area. Judging from the cobwebs we encountered on the old trail, it isn't too popular any more.
Old trail runs along Mason Creek.  Scenic and cool in summer.
Old trail runs along Mason Creek. Scenic and cool in summer.
Right before reaching Mason Lake was a little snow
Right before reaching Mason Lake was a little snow

mb

mb
PostSun May 23, 2004 7:32 am 
where is the old trail? i've only been up there once, via the new trail. i assume it's one of the early turn-offs from the abandoned road?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 23, 2004 9:37 am 
Well, I havent been up the *newest* trail there but the old one went straight up ridge line. There were a couple switch backs just after leaving the road, then it shot straight up the ridge. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostSun May 23, 2004 10:29 am 
There is very little snow left in the Mason Lake basin. Another week and it should be clear. It is good to hear that the Rainbow Lake basin is totally covered with snow, that may have been too much for the 12 year olds I had with me. The old trail to Mason lake takes off maybe 100 yards after Mason Creek. When you see a big red arrow on a tree pointing the direction of the trail to Mason turn around and you will see a trail starting up the hill. This trail can be easy to loose your way as there are many spurs. Each spur I have taken eventually leads to the lake, some area easier than others. This is a great area with many trails leading to other lakes and summits.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 23, 2004 1:06 pm 
My first time up there was in 1977. My friend and I had a great trip. Helped our resolve to get into all of the lakes in the area. The Mason to Defiance to Thompson is a great hike too. Leave a car on the Middle Fork and get dropped off at the Mason trail head and you are set. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun May 23, 2004 1:53 pm 
Defiance -> Thompson -> out Granite Lakes/MF is on my want list. I am thinking the other trail from Mason Lake TH which I believe is called "Putrid Pete's Peak" smile.gif per a WTA report may give a jump start on that; I followed it up last fall until snow on a talus field; wasn't equipped to go farther.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 23, 2004 3:09 pm 
Synchro, Ford and me went up this morning pretty early. I think we got there around 7:30 am....i had forgotten the NWFP in my truck and we were driving his truck...so Synchro dumped us off with the gear, and he parked a good 1/4 mile down just to be safe. Oh well! There was already 7 or 8 cars in the parking lot. Socked in the whole way, but a pretty day in it's own way. We went down to the lake basin, a teeny bit of snow left, with 2 small patches to cross. Loved the forest in the mist, it was primeval up.gif Started dripping a little so we retreated back up out of the basin. Thereupon met a group coming up that had to be over 30 people. Yowza. It was a regular freeway coming down. When we hit the parking lot, it was full, and the road had cars parked a good 1/4 mile down it. Yeah, it's gonna be popular wink.gif As for the old trail-I found it VERY easy to find. It is right before the new trail takes off straight uphill. The opening to the old trail is not blocked off. Also the old trail up at the lake is pretty obvious, with a big log in front of it. Photos of todays fog and mist: http://community.webshots.com/album/145613815yQAUVH?789

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun May 23, 2004 5:19 pm 
Thanks Sare-Bear. Those as some nice misty shots. Gotcha butt up in our area for a change aye.... TB winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif winksmile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun May 23, 2004 5:21 pm 
LOL! yeah, I'll be back tongue.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.