Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sperry Peak 5/16/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue May 18, 2004 9:43 am 
Sperry Peak 5/16/04 I woke up in the morning having planned out a nice early expedition to Mt. Pugh. Did I get there? Obviously not if you read the title, but there’s more than one place I didn’t get to, as you’ll read in this trip report. So I woke up at the crack of dawn (10:30am) yawn.gif and quickly gathered my gear for a nice brisk hike to Mt. Pugh (left house at 12:30pm). An hour later I had driven past Verlot, and was a little puzzled that I couldn’t find the trailhead. The directions said 14 miles past Granite Fal…oh, Darrington! I read the directions wrong. Instead of wasting another 30-45 minutes driving north I had to think of another hike down Mountain Loop as it was getting late. Let’s see… Dickerman? No, did that one already. There were great views of Sperry on that hike, yes! That’s what I’ll do, Sperry! So I pulled off at the Sunrise Mine trailhead and proceeded to gear up and do the preliminary ‘old man stretches’, I am turning 30 tomorrow if you must know. There were 3 other cars at the trailhead, with a group of 4 leaving 5 minutes before myself and quickly coming back to their car. I assumed there was some obstruction down the path, so I headed out to investigate. About 60 ft in I reached a nice creek with a broken bridge crossing. So I skipped across some shallow rocks and headed past. The Sunrise Mine trail had a lot of exposed roots and the conditions were a bit damp, so I slipped on more than a couple of wet roots going up. My first destination was to Headlee Pass, from which I can scramble up to Sperry and get a nice view of a small lake and skirt a ridge over to Vesper Peak if I had the time. Very ambitious plan considering the snow levels! The vegetation was starting to grow out as I encountered the meadowy rise leading up to Headlee. It was a very rocky area with a few tank-sized boulders to peruse. On my way up the rise I got a nice view to the west of a large rock face with a skinny waterfall cascading down. I got up the rise and directly before me was Wirtz Basin, which contained a large snowfield (elevation +/- 3000 ft ). I ran into a group of three climbers along the path and they left me with the advice that I should have my ice axe handy and that the slope up Headlee is very steep. Thankfully I found a set of footprints leading up the snowfield that matched my stride and approximate shoe size. It saved a lot of energy stepping in someone else’s tracks. It was very misty toward the slope up to Headlee and I could see the rock outcroppings to my left and right, but the tops were enshrouded in fog. The path began to get moderately steep, but the previous hikers had left a nice ‘foot stairway’ up the slope. I simply stepped in the prints and pushed forward. I stopped to mark the path on my GPS, when the eeriest thing happened. The mist ahead completely surrounded me. It was completely white in every direction, and here I was standing on a gradually steepening slope. To compound the situation, I heard the rumbling of an avalanche in the distance, the first of many heard that day. God was telling me something, only I wasn’t listening, yet. I had one of those ‘man moments’ where I figured if those three guys I ran into earlier can get up to Headlee Pass then by God so could I! Screw Sperry, I just wanted the small victory of topping Headlee and I was going to have it. Three quarters up the slope I had to pack up my hiking poles and switch to the ice axe, and that’s when the fun began. The ‘white out’ conditions lessened and I finally saw some rocks up the slope. I checked my GPS for elevation readings, 3670 ft, I had about 40 ft to go to get up the Pass. The snow slope was getting so steep that I figured I would work my way to the rocks and try to do a little amateur rock climbing. I ice axed (verb?) my way to a rock and climbed up a bit, but the rocks were soon too wet upslope and the gulley between the snow and rocks looked a little deep. I wouldn’t want to fall in and get stuck so I made my way back to the snow. A few feet up and I heard a rumbling avalanche off into the distance, becoming progressively louder and closer to my position. It was unnerving enough for me to say, “I am out of this place!” I knew my present position was protected from both sides by relatively clean rock outcroppings but just hearing the snow fall was enough. So I had a quick lunch of Doritos and planned how I was going to safely get back down this slope. I couldn’t glissade from my present position, it was too steep and too likely that I could slide right into the rocks to either side of me. I tried to do a highly controlled slide using my ice axe as a brake. Well, the glissading got out of control a couple of times and I really had to arrest into the slope. The slope gradually leveled but I was still hesitant to barrel down at full speed as the mist still obscured the area below me. Finally it cleared and I slid down in a rush, getting all those pent up nerves out, and I even howled out a ‘yeahaww!!' or two on the way down. Then I remembered those avalanches and quickly shut the hell up. The route back was uneventful, save for a miserable wet feet trek down. It was a fun, but cautionary, trip and I learned a few things about dealing with the snow. You can bet I won’t be negotiating snow conditions like this again without a couple of buddies along to call for help if things get awry. I can’t say I regret the entirety of the trip, though I will definitely keep more aware of judging conditions and being decisive about turnaround points. I didn't get to Sperry, nor Headlee, but I made it back down and was more than a little humbled about the event.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue May 18, 2004 10:09 am 
I enjoyed reading about your clash with the snow. As tempting as falling avalanches in ones' vicinty are, I think I'll opt for waiting for more snow melt before I encounter this one. It's unfortunate you took the wrong driving route. Imagine the different combinations of hikes one with waning time and driving stamina could do if the totality of the Mt. Loop highway were to be accessible.

PostTue May 18, 2004 10:15 am 
Nice TR thorough report! Sounds like an adventurous day. I know this will sound like I am busting your chops, but I really am not. I am just curious. Why is the title of your TR, Sperry, when the destination is more like Headlee Pass. I see this fairly often in TRs, so it's hardly just you. Just curious.

Trevor

Trevor
PostTue May 18, 2004 10:21 am 
More dynamic trip report titles offer a better tendency of luring more viewers, which I am sure isn't the justification for most who do use an alternate title. But just think, if I were to title my Mt. Si report as Mt. Everest , I would feel that people would be more inclined to view it.

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue May 18, 2004 10:54 am 
PAP wrote:
Nice TR thorough report! Sounds like an adventurous day. I know this will sound like I am busting your chops, but I really am not. I am just curious. Why is the title of your TR, Sperry, when the destination is more like Headlee Pass. I see this fairly often in TRs, so it's hardly just you. Just curious.
Thanks for reading fellas! Maybe I didn't word it so well, the route up to Vesper and Sperry goes through Headlee Pass, which is the lowest point on the ridge. My intention was to get to Headlee and assess whether I could go on to Sperry. But as I got up and realized it was dicey, I figured i'd be happy with just making it as far as Headlee.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.
Karen

Karen
PostTue May 18, 2004 11:48 am 
Sperry Peak Report
I enjoyed your report. Great write-up, I felt like I was there. Well, I WAS there but under better conditions than when you were there. Here are a couple of images of Headlee Pass (sans mist and snow). Getting to Headlee Pass itself is a good work-out and scenic and when you do get to Sperry Peak it will be more than well-worth it. It's one of my favorite scrambles. Be sure to go back. You won't be sorry. Karen
Descending Headlee Pass
Descending Headlee Pass
A view from Headlee Pass
A view from Headlee Pass

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostTue May 18, 2004 12:03 pm 
That 'A View from Headlee Pass' pic is a tease! frown.gif I was looking at that very distinctive rock jutting up, trying to figure how to get up those last 20-30ft up. I will definitely be back though.

PostTue May 18, 2004 12:33 pm 
newdawnfades wrote:
I was looking at that very distinctive rock jutting up, trying to figure how to get up those last 20-30ft up. I will definitely be back though.
The trail switchbacks tightly up to the pass, but when the snow is gone, it's no big deal and easy to follow. I like Vesper better of the the two. So you need to do them both! up.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed May 19, 2004 5:32 pm 
We all have those days. I followed a pair of climbers up what turned out to be the wrong chute. Your description of taking advantage of their footsteps, and of moving from the snow to the rock and back again, felt like an instant replay.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed May 19, 2004 6:22 pm 
Neat report. I've driven the road a few times tempted to plan a trip up. I'm mainly a flatlander, but the view from the road is even great. By the way, Happy birthday newdawnfades. drink.gif Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Edd

Edd
PostWed May 19, 2004 6:39 pm 
Thanks for sharing your TR. I can relate to everything you went through. Started scrambling last year after most of the snow was gone and the weather was somewhat stable. Whole different beast this time of year. Eight destinations so far this year, turned back four times. Humbling yes, but in a positive way. Shrouded in fog on a snowy slope can be very disorienting, ever with map compass and altimeter, (GPS). The challenge and the range of emotions one can experience are part of the lure for me. I've seen from your posts you get out quite a bit. Probly see you around.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed May 19, 2004 10:35 pm 
Getting to Headlee Pass, the fun has just begun. Sperry is a worthy scramble---it has quite a bit of street appeal......check this view from Dickerman.
sperry
sperry

cheakamus

cheakamus
PostWed May 19, 2004 10:53 pm 
I, too, hope to get up Vesper and Sperry this summer. I got as far as the little lake after Headlee Pass late last November, but snow started coming down thick and fast and I was on my own. I didn't see another soul all day, and when I got down, the trail log, which I had dutifully signed that morning, had been removed, presumably by a ranger!

cheakamus

cheakamus
PostWed May 19, 2004 10:54 pm 
I, too, hope to get up Vesper and Sperry this summer. I got as far as the little lake after Headlee Pass late last November, but snow started coming down thick and fast and I was on my own. I didn't see another soul all day, and when I got down, the trail log, which I had dutifully signed that morning, had been removed, presumably by a ranger!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostThu May 20, 2004 8:30 am 
Thanks for posting more pics! Logger, that Sperry shot is gorgeous. Makes me wanna call up the Sherpa team and have another go at it. I'll definitely be doing Sperry AND Vesper my friends. Rialtosol, I agree the lure of the uncertainty and the will to test your boundaries are some of the reasons I keep coming back again and again. Difficult hike/climbs can feel like living a lifetime in a day.