Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Post hike music
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gary

gary
PostThu May 26, 2005 3:44 pm 
actionbetty wrote:
SRV was something to behold. He could take a huge rowdy crowd and turn his back and start palying and silence them all...
Have to agree with you there. I once sponsored a series of concerts where, one evening, David Allen Coe was supposed to appear. His manager called right at start time and said he was too sick to make it. You can imagine our concern at how an arena full of bikers was going to react to a last minute cancellation. The manager said they were sending in a replacement and they should arrive shortly. He didn't say who it was. We were pretty disappointed and apprehensive. SRV walked in and completely overwhelmed everyone in the place. It was great. He even came into our little hospitality room after the show and hung out with us. He was a really cool guy... I've been a fan every since that night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Jun 11, 2005 9:43 pm 
K, found a great track. The Killers - Mr. Brightside (Thin White Duke Remix). The original is a good song, but this one just kicks maximum ass. Trevor - you'll like this one, got a bit of a Notwist flavor to it. Sort of retro-electro.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostSat Jun 11, 2005 10:09 pm 
Killers Mr. Brightside is OK - but I prefer the Star Wars parody - I'm Mr. Darkside

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Trevor

Trevor
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 8:34 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
K, found a great track. The Killers - Mr. Brightside (Thin White Duke Remix). The original is a good song, but this one just kicks maximum ass. Trevor - you'll like this one, got a bit of a Notwist flavor to it. Sort of retro-electro.
I probably might, I also might like the killers' album if I would actually listen to the album I bought clown.gif .Saw them in concert, and they put on a pretty good show prior to modest mouse. But, the amount of radio time they have received reduces the listening enthusiasm slightly.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 12, 2005 10:33 pm 
Trust me, the remix is miles better than the original. Two parts Killers, one part New Order, one part Ulrich Schnauss. Plus it's three times as long. biggrin.gif

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 12:36 am 
I again caught some of a PBS show of classic Grand Ole Opry tonight- I'm not much on country but it was interesting to see a clean cut suited younger Willie Nelson performing- you'd never guess it was him until you heard the voice. Johnny Cash is The Man in my book- he performed Ring of Fire and his wife was one of the backing singers. She wrote that song too. Man what a classic. I saw SRV opening for somebody many many years ago- I don't think he was known nationally at that time but I could be wrong. Didn't get into him until much later.

greg

greg
PostMon Jun 13, 2005 7:21 am 
If you're into SRV and have never seen it, get the video/DVD "Stevie Ray Vaughn Live at the El Mocambo." It's '83 I think and the guy's on fire...

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostTue Jun 14, 2005 4:32 am 
Built to Spill is playing at the Showbox on thurs. and Fri.

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostFri Jun 17, 2005 2:40 pm 
I've been listening to a lot of Mark Knopfler lately; "The ragpicker's dream" and "Shangri-la" CDs. A lot more bluesy, folky and jazzy than his Dire Straits days, but still a guitar God.

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 9:28 am 
I re-discovered Cake's Motorcade of Generosity album last weekend. I bought it about 10 years ago, listened to it once or twice, and didn't care for it - so it languished on a shelf. Last weekend as I was driving back from MRNP, I needed some noise to help keep me awake. I thought what the hell, I'll toss it in. Damn, what a good disc. I've listened to it several times since. up.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:10 am 
catwoman wrote:
And quite often I prefer to listen to absolutely nothing. I like to get out to the mountains to quiet my mind from the confusion and stresses of my daily life.
Amen to that. My life is so hectic, with all the stress at work and at home, that in the car I mostly prefer quiet. Sometimes though, if it's about 75-80 and I'm feeling energized, I'll put on some Blues Traveler or Supertramp & blast it, singing at the top of my lungs all the way home. smile.gif

Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:11 am 
Quark wrote:
I re-discovered Cake's Motorcade of Generosity album last weekend. I bought it about 10 years ago, listened to it once or twice, and didn't care for it - so it languished on a shelf. Last weekend as I was driving back from MRNP, I needed some noise to help keep me awake. I thought what the hell, I'll toss it in. Damn, what a good disc. I've listened to it several times since. up.gif
Cake kicks ass. smile.gif I have 2 of their CDs, but not this one. I'll have to pick it up. I wore out of mine... the one with Never There on it. Great band. up.gif

sgwizdak

sgwizdak
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:45 am 
To the annoyance of the passengers in my vehicle, I like to play ambient folk music: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3LHSC

Brain
Hates whining

Brain
Hates whining
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:48 am 
I always seem to be in a Dire Straits mood when I come off a trail.

"It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds." Doc Holiday (Val Kilmer) in Tombstone
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Jul 14, 2006 10:51 am 
Curve for me...especially when it's been a major brushbash and/or off-trail excursion: "It's nice to know, It's nice to know, exactly where you're going..."

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short