Forum Index > Pacific NW History > GT Mine lost and found
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tunnelhound

tunnelhound
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 7:18 pm 
golden tunnel
The trail to the mill sight is no longer obvious even to those of use who have been there numerous times. I doubt that a map would be of much help. The sight is posted with a Forest Service sign not to intrude until they have it examined (timeline has not expired). Contact the Washington State Forest Service Archaelogist for the current status. A confidence to withold its locattion has been breached. If an intended hike to the area is attempted, be assured it will be without further gleanings of information. Your on your own.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake

Jake
PostSun Jun 13, 2004 8:03 pm 
Golden Tunnel

touron

touron
PostSun Jun 13, 2004 8:21 pm 
Now that's secretive! I even tried to heat that post up over a hot burner to see if it had been written in lemon juice or milk. No luck. embarassedlaugh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Kirt

Kirt
PostSun Jun 13, 2004 9:03 pm 
....and I thought I was the only person that tried that trick. K

Jake

Jake
PostTue Jun 22, 2004 8:23 pm 
Re: The Golden Tunnel I am one of the founders of Northwest Underground Explorations. We had an unfortunate problem with one of our renegade members who unloaded some very sensitive information to Mr. Snowbushy. As with every large organization some members make stupid, irresponsible desisions and everyone pays for it. That happened here and an important part of American Herritage is endangered. One more mistake was made here too. There was never a ten year silence agreement with the U.S. Forest Service to keep the location and details secret. The agreement was to keep that information secret for ever or until voided by the forest service. Because of this situation, this member will never again have access to our library, files or sensitive information. In addition, we will never publish information about sensitive sites in our upcoming volumes. In spite of this our remaining members are dedicated to researching, interpeting, documenting and above all preserving our fasinatinating herritage. And by the way...I aree with my fellow member Tunnelhound, Snowbushy is in for quite a hike.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Jul 01, 2004 11:07 pm 
Hi, Happy 4th of July! This is a time when we celebrate 'freedom & liberty'. Freedom of the press and freedom to post. Freedom of information. Celebrate liberty & freedom. It's the 4th of July. Does anyone or government own history? Do they own it to keep it secret for ever? I'm talking about the GT mine site and the Hole in the Wall. And I want it to be known that authors of book's called Northwest Underground Exploration's have already been giving out directions to friend's on how to find the GT mine site. (I will not tell anyone, yet). History should not be held away from the common man. Most of us here reading this are probably common men/women. The government shouldn't be able to hide this information about the GT mine forever from us. We have freedom don't we? This info about the GT Mine should be made pubilic knowledge unless there is a compelling reason that sharing this info. would cause "harm" to a historical site. All of us and our children should be free to visit history. Listen-Up Forest Servise - On 7/4/05 I intend to post here the exact location of The Golden Tunnel Mine & mine site. You have one year to study the ghost site, and collect item's of interest that I hope you will display at the Skykomish Ranger Station (before other's steal more of them). You have had 10 year's. Now you have one year. I know that fund's are short but if it is really something important then take care of your important business, or let us enjoy our Cascade Mountain history - you have no right to hide it from us. Happy 4th of July

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.

Fedor
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostFri Jul 02, 2004 7:09 am 
So, I sharpened the hell out of my old machete for what? Fourth of July watermelon?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostFri Jul 02, 2004 11:15 am 
GT mine
I think we be getting all twisted around the axel for nothing. He ain't gonna make it anyway! shakehead.gif It's easy to say I'm going to ****** but that's easy from your sofa or Lazyboy. There's no devils club, slide alder, vine maple, berry bushes, bugs, steep hills, in your living room. All talk I think it be!! agree.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Jul 05, 2004 11:22 pm 
Lead Dog & Jimmymac, I will probably not got to the GT mill site, yet. Although the old buggy trail was blazed a few week's ago by 2 guy's. Lot's of big equipment in there. I'd love to see the Forest Service police-up' the ghost site and put up a few sign's describing the operation. But they don't care. Yet. For your information the mine tunnel is a totally different approach. It's a natural cave called Hole in the Wall higher up. (not the hole in the wall from butch & sundance but around before those years). They found free milled gold and with east coast money they strung up a tram from the mine to the mill site below. In the mine hole is still a cook stove. It seem's that they lived in the Hole in the Wall while the worked. And also the wife of the boss also painted her name (plus date) inside the Hole in the wall. Very interesting stuff. I'll probably go to Hole in the Wall 'cause I don't much care for Devil's Club, etc.. I've seen enough of that damn stuff. I want to visit 'Hole in the Wall'. Come with me if you want but can't tell anyone.....

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
vasi

vasi
PostMon Feb 05, 2007 10:59 pm 
golden tunnel mine
can you tell me where it is? How do get there. I am a pilot, want to do an aerial shot

vasi

vasi
PostMon Feb 05, 2007 11:53 pm 
golen tunnel mine
what mountain is it located on

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Feb 06, 2007 5:27 am 
If you guys really want to know the location you should join this group (below) and go on a outing with them. Or phone the North Bend or Skykomish FS office. If worse comes to worse you can always file a Freedom of Information Act request - it is my understanding that the FS brass no longer cares about this history info. being in the public domain where it belongs IMO. I posted the location of the mine entrance here as I had promised but because I broke other forum rules the post was removed. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17672

liembo

liembo
PostThu Feb 08, 2007 8:18 am 
In 100 short years an eyesore of a mine has become a treasured historical site that is to be kept secret and its "artifacts" to be left as-is to be enjoyed (in secrecy) by future generations. Had such a mine been claimed, blasted and mined within the last 5 years, I am sure there would have been a public outcry. What makes this one so special? The fact that it has period garbage strewn about? How long until this historic mine in Washington State becomes a treasured place to be enjoyed by a select few? A little over the top perhaps, but I would imagine to some folks around here, if those massive yellow dump trucks were left sitting there for 100 years, they too would become revered objects of preservation, despite the legacy hydraulic oil and diesel fuel leaks. Those Little Debby snack cake wrappers in the cab should be left as-is! I find it ironic that something viewed today with revulsion is tomorrow's revered secret destination. dizzy.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Feb 08, 2007 12:55 pm 
There's a big difference between a new mine, put in by today's society, with all the people around here, and a mine put in by early "white" explorers. One is historic, the other is damage. Yeah, they did damage 110 years ago, but at least they didn't have bulldozers and helicopters and other technology. There's a big difference seeing plastic stuff laying around like at the Helena Peaks mines than seeing old iron artifacts dragged up by the crazies mining the Del Campo. Have you seen both types of mine remains?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 08, 2007 1:21 pm 
i beg to differ modern methods would have to work some to beat what a gold dredge or hydraulic mining couold do to a stream. Most of the mines here except for Monte Crist Holden and a few others were more like prospect holes than true 19th century mining shows like Virginia City or Cripple Creek.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn