Forum Index > Pacific NW History > GT Mine lost and found
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Feb 08, 2007 1:39 pm 
liembo wrote:
How long until this historic mine in Washington State becomes a treasured place to be enjoyed by a select few?
about 100 years, give or take. As for the select few, they can self select to be in the few, or not...... just like they do now.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Feb 16, 2007 1:58 am 
I have written some on the tortured subject of the GT mine because I think that the history of our mountains is important. THERE IS A CONCERN -- That some of the old Big & Heavy stuff in the neighborhood of the gt mine could be rippid-off by some rich guy with a huge home. - There is some heavy mining equipment THERE that is unique to this area . It's very hard to get to (I have not been yet). This 'rich guy' could hire helicopters or mules to get this stuff just to have it as a conversation piece by his huge fireplace. I believe that the person who actually found the GT mine after sooo many years is a member of this forum and is a writer. As he is a writer of books that are in the public library system, who has published books, and a member of nwhikers.net who occasionally posts here - And considering the interest in the gt mine, which You and Greg Cady, etal, found - (is it you jake?). You are the Historian who cared. And you found it. Is it you? Thank you for your history work. Please tell us more about the gt mine. We would all love to hear from you about this interesting subject, jake The gt mine is being hidden from the general public because of some rich guy (maybe) on the east-side who wants 'the' (Stuff) by his fireplace hearth. It will make a fun conversation piece for him and his rich friends. But then you will never see it. It's better to let it lay in the woods. So let's keep it hidden for now. Maybe Jake will talk here about it - He found it. There are a few mines in the area that are still being searched for - They are mysteries - they've never been found. Let's go find those instead of the focus on the gt mine.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
jrock9751

jrock9751
PostTue Dec 04, 2007 11:03 pm 
gt mine
to snowbrushy or anyone else who knows where and wants to hike to the gt mine I will be interested in going. JR

briejer

briejer
PostWed Dec 05, 2007 11:52 pm 
I have been to the tunnel and to the Millsite. I had more joy seking out the location than finding eiher or them. I was dissapointed with what I saw. I'm not saying this to discourage anyone. the truth is that it is not that big of a deal. The secrecy just made my imagination go wild and I had expectations that were not satisfied. I's just a shallow hole in a cliff that goes back only a few feet. The pelton wheel is small and unique the crushed is not that cool. I personally thing th large pelton wheel from the Copperbelle is much more impresive and easy to find. Now it's finding the Yellow jacket that will give me a reason to wander in thick bushes and trees to find?????????, most likely .....nothing

Jimbo

Jimbo
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 7:43 am 
I would have to agree. If that yellow jacket is still open it would be nice to find it and put an end to that hunt. Kkknasty thick stuff up there.

Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 1:44 pm 
Mr. Cady and Jake et al discovered the mine and mill site. It's location remains a secret for some reason. Personally, I think that revealing it's location to the public would be a wonderful NW mountain history teaching moment. I told about it's location as promised here but the Admin. took it off of this thread. I've never been there myself. I wanted to take a group there. As Mr. Cady told me in the beginning, all I have to do is ask Jake and he would probably take me there. To be sure - Mr. Cady told me it's location without knowing about computers or the internet. He didn't realize that I would try to post about it here. He no longer talks with me. I've had some grief about this subject. Is that what NW history is about? A friend of mine wanted to go there but I said, "No". He died last year ... Is that what NW mountain history is about? I look forward to the day that Jake steps forward with the info. about the GT mine and mill site. Out of respect I leave it to him. He found it many years ago and knows a lot more than I.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
btspman

btspman
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 3:39 pm 
I had meant to go to the GT mine this last summer (I discovered its location via this forum and the local library). But I kept delaying my trip because there was someone who wanted to come along but needed to 'get in shape'. Well that never happened and now there is too much snow. Hopefully next summer.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 3:47 pm 
You probably didn't get much info. from this site unless you were watching very closely. Tell everyone here where it's at ... Everyone is waiting ... Good Luck.

btspman

btspman
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 4:03 pm 
Well i'm not going to say. BUT.. there is a link that exists buried on a thread in this forum that, if used correctly, will give you the exact location. I had gotten very close on my own. Even had a copy of a map from about 1900 that had its location. This link verified it for me.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:12 pm 
btspman wrote:
Even had a copy of a map from about 1900 that had its location.
Are you sure it's the correct map? It was more than 100 years ago. But, it's in the correct time frame. I'm only asking because I wouldn't want you to go hiking in the wrong direction. I wish you luck because you obviously like our mountain history. Contact Jake to be sure.

btspman

btspman
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:24 pm 
Who is Jake? Is that his username? Maybe I'll PM him the gps coordinates to be safe. And yes, I wouldnt want to head in the wrong direction either. winksmile.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:26 pm 
Yes, 'Jake' is a published NW mining history writer who posts here.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 6:04 pm 
I am not sure if Jake has ever addressed this particular thread, although it seems to be popular. This is about NW mountain History. And, he knows more about it than most of us do. He knows more than I ever will ..

Bart Cannon

Bart Cannon
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 1:56 pm 
Golden Tunnel and Hole in the Wall
Hi Dave, I've been aware of "Hole in the Wall" for 35 years, looked for it, but always run out of daylight. Joe Cashman told me about it. I had the impression at one time that it was a different site from the Golden Tunnel. I've set out for the Golden Tunnel several times also, found Northwest Underground Exploration's trail in, but lost it in the upper valley. I think it is our duty to find and fully document old mines. It is completely legitimate anglo archaeology which should be part of everyone's history database. Anyone who could make the trip in is in no less good company that any preservationist who leaves urine on Mount Rainier. I criticize neither. So. Did you ever make it in? If I have the stamina, I'm going to try again this summer. Ten years ago I did a fly over, and could see nothing in either of the suspect basins to indicate mine workings.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Jun 01, 2008 2:17 pm 
Bart Cannon wrote:
I think it is our duty to find and fully document old mines. It is completely legitimate anglo archaeology which should be part of everyone's history database.
Welcome to the site! I have had to grapple with this for years now. In the first place, member Jake, whom I deeply respect as a historian, discovered it after a lot of hard work. I happen to agree with you. However, I am not in the loop (so to speak), as to any dangers per making such informations public at this time. It (is) his discovery and I'm oblidged to defer to him. Indeed, I don't believe that this forum would let me post about the Golden Tunnels whereabouts. I have yet to go there. Good Luck! And welcome!