Forum Index > Trail Talk > New User
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gmac

Gmac
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 12:37 pm 
I've been reading your board and have found some great information. I need some help deciding were to take my kids on there first overnight hike. They are 10 and 8 years old and have done alot of day hikes. I was thinking of doing the Lower Lena Lake trail. Any suggestions or comments of were else to go?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 5:06 pm 
Welcome! What sort of scenery do you prefer? What kind of mileage where you looking at for an overnight? Where are you located and how far would you consider driving?

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Phil

Phil
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 5:21 pm 
Gmac wrote:
I've been reading your board and have found some great information. I need some help deciding were to take my kids on there first overnight hike. They are 10 and 8 years old and have done alot of day hikes. I was thinking of doing the Lower Lena Lake trail. Any suggestions or comments of were else to go?
Benefits of that trip include potential for day-trips up to Gladys Divide, ease of the hike. Major downside may be crowds, howling savages. As an alternative, consider a trip to any number of places on Lower South Fork Skokomish, e.g., the lower SF itself or Church Creek. Advantage over Lena may be fewer crowds, less travel time.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 09, 2004 5:33 pm 
Gmac, yes welcome. Tell us where you live, where you have experience going. I can suggest many lakes along the I-90 coridoor. The Racheal Ramparts area is very nice and not to long. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Gmac

Gmac
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 1:09 am 
I live in Federal Way and would prefer camping at a lake. I would like to keep the mileage to 4 miles roundtrip or under. I have hiked alot up on the Mountain Loop and North Cascades(before kids). I need a easy hike that wont be to tough on the wife and kids, but I dont want a bunch of crowdseither. Thanks for your help.

Kirt

Kirt
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 7:46 am 
Welcome Gmac!! Your request is a tuff one. I'm not aware of short hikes to a lake for the family that won't be crowded. But here are some places I have taken my children over the years that fit your criteria..... 1- Talapus/Ollalie Lakes (along I-90) 2- Summit Lake (near Mt. Rainier) Like most hikes, if you are going to go over the weekend they both will be crowded. But they were great hikes in that they weren't too long of a trek but gave us the "hiking" experience. Good luck and I will be watching this thread to see where you decide to go. K

solohiker

solohiker
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 9:10 am 
I'll second Talapus Lake for your purpose. It's 4 mi RT with only 800 ft gain, making it ideal as a first backpack for kids. So ideal in fact that more hardened backpackers starting from that TH will continue on to Ollallie, Island, Rainbow or Pratt Lakes from there, leaving the area for you and other families in similar situations to enjoy for the night. It's obviouslly an easy dayhike, so you'll see plenty of people go in and out, but not so much to take away from the experience for your kids. WTA has held several scheduled work partys on this trail lately, so the trail is in excellent shape for young hikers. Don't be too discouraged if you see a crowded parking lot, it might be yet another work party, and those guys are always kid-friendly, too (that's who they're fixin the trail for!).

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
evergreenhiker!

evergreenhiker!
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 10:51 am 
another pretty spot is Heather Lake off the Mountain Loop road past Granite Falls. Talapus/Ollalie Lakes are good choices too. Yes, short hikes will be crowded on the weekends. I'd try to go during the week if you can. other lakes that might be worth a look are Kelcema Lake...off deer creek road...just half mile hike or boardman and ? lakes...also very short hike off the same road that goes up to Pinnacle/bear? lakes. All these lakes off the mountain loop road also.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 11:22 am 
Hike for kids
Goat Lake, just over from Barlow Pass on the Mountain Loop Hwy. is easy and not to long. About 5.5mi. Where ever you go, easy, short hikes to a lake will attract more people to them. agree.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 11:32 am 
Lead Dog, the Elliot Creek trail to Goat Lake was seriously damaged in the flood last fall. I think there was a TR here just a couple of days ago. In the same area, I'd recco Heather Lake as a super-nice short trip (2 mi each way) for kids. Check on route conditions before going, don't know if it's melted out yet.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 11:48 am 
Goat Lake
Marylou your right on it! headrub.gif I was just logging back on when I discovered the road was out and lookie thare ya caught me!! doh.gif Heather Lake is a good choice. agree.gif

My hair's turning white, my neck's always been red, my collor's still blue. Lynard Skynard
Grinch
Local Burger Tester

Grinch
Local Burger Tester
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 1:52 pm 
Mirror Lake from the Stampede Pass exit is easy and a nice little place. So is Barclay Lake up towards Stevens Pass.

Lead Dog

Lead Dog
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 2:27 pm 
Lake
Hope or Mig Lake on the PCT. 1.5mi. up the Tunnel Creek trail to Hope. Left from Hope 1 mi. on the PCT to Mig Lake. The Tunnel Creek trailhead is 4-5 mi West of Stevens Pass. Just before the hairpin curve near the top take the dirt road and follow it around as it goes up a hill take the first left near the top. The trailhead is 75 yds. from there on your right.

lipstick hiker

lipstick hiker
PostThu Jun 10, 2004 11:57 pm 
pictures with posts
Backpacker Joe, where did you take that picture that is one your post? suuure.gif

Wazzuhiker

Wazzuhiker
PostFri Jun 11, 2004 12:08 am 
Monte Cristo is an easy hike, well more of a walk but they have nice covered camping shelters that would make camping out for beginners a lot more enjoyable.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians..," Ted Nugent