Forum Index > Trip Reports > Green Mountain Trail 6-22-04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 11:56 am 
After getting a bit of a late start, we headed up the trail at about 12:30. It was the first time I'd hiked this trail, and it was gorgeous, although a bit tough - yeah, I know, not for most of you toughie hikers. But I'm usually a Moderate kinda girl and this trail is rated More Difficult. I'm feeling it today. The trail runs through the forest, climbing steeply up in the first mile or so. There were four in my group, and the two guys were hiking up ahead, and us girls were taking our time (Read: Huffing and puffing, and stopping every 100 yards) on the way up. After about the first 0.5 mile, we heard the guys making a commotion. We moved quickly towards them, and it turns out they saw a small black bear! We continued up together, and soon enough, we all saw 2 bears on top of a big rock, about 200 feet off the trail. Very exciting! After the first mile or so, the trail leaves the forest and enters gorgeous meadows. Switchbacks lead you up, up, up the mountain with flowers all around. The flower show will be at its peak in the next two weeks from what I could tell, but there were already lots blooming, including lupine, tiger lily, paintbrush, and common bistort. The views are truly spectacular. However, the meadow path gets really hot with very little shade on hot summer days, so be sure to do some or all of these things (we only did 2 out of 4 and we were boiling!) 1. Lotsa sunscreen 2. A hat or a visor 3. Start early 4. Bring lots of water Not long after you leave the meadows, the trail gets snowy. USE CARE! The snow is melting a lot right now, and it would be easy to put a foot through the snow over a stream meltout and get hurt. However, the snow was doable. Up through the snow maybe another 0.5 miles, then you can see the valley where two small ponds are the main feature. We went down to have lunch, hung around for a bit, then hiked back out. From the valley there is supposedly another 1.5 miles up to a lookout tower, but we couldn't even see the trail cause it was so snowy. It was 2.5 miles in, so 5 r/t. The trail guide says this trail is a heavy use one, but we only saw one group on our way up and one group on our way out. What with the flowers, this may be a great time to go. Also, the Suiattle River Road is washed out at a little over 21m, but the road to Green River is at about the 19.6 point (if I remember correctly). Anyway, you can get to the trailhead and not worry about closed roads, at least via Darrington and as of yesterday! (This is my first post - If there's something I should have added to this, please let me know!)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 1:59 pm 
bonobo wrote:
(This is my first post - If there's something I should have added to this, please let me know!)
Welcome! How do you pronounce Bonobo? Ba NOBE boe? BON na boe? The important thing IMO, is the fact that we're all starting from different places. The only trip report that really misses the mark is the one that you don't post. Sure, there are hard core member who have "been there, done that," but for every one of them, there are another six who will really benefit from a specific report. Then there's probably an additional three who will be inspired by a report. Since they're starting from a point that you have already passed, your report may challenge them to consider that next level -- especially if it's written in a candid, down-to-earth style. I'm curious to eyeball the refurbished Green Mountain lookout and check out what's left of the Suiattle Riv Road. Your report was of great value to me. Did you also submit it over at WTA.org?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
C Dog

C Dog
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 2:36 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
Welcome! How do you pronounce Bonobo? Ba NOBE boe? BON na boe?
Is it like the chimp? Ba NO boe? (And yes, thanks for the trip report -- I hadn't realized the road to Green Mountain was open) up.gif

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
JimK

JimK
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 2:36 pm 
Anyone know the status of the lookout? Last I heard it was lifted down to somewhere near Darrington to be restored. The summit sure looked bare without it last year.

C Dog

C Dog
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 2:55 pm 
Looks like Snohomish has $5000 allocated to replacing the foundation... Also, this page gives an estimated completion date of 2005.

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 4:46 pm 
C Dog wrote:
jimmymac wrote:
Welcome! How do you pronounce Bonobo? Ba NOBE boe? BON na boe?
Is it like the chimp? Ba NO boe? (And yes, thanks for the trip report -- I hadn't realized the road to Green Mountain was open) up.gif
Yes, like the chimp. *grin* I wasn't sure it was going to be open either - I couldn't for the life of me find the info online, and I checked everywhere I could think of. But I figured since they had the trail listed as open on the FS website, I'd roll the dice and give it a go.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 4:53 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
bonobo wrote:
(This is my first post - If there's something I should have added to this, please let me know!)
Welcome! How do you pronounce Bonobo? Ba NOBE boe? BON na boe? The important thing IMO, is the fact that we're all starting from different places. The only trip report that really misses the mark is the one that you don't post. Sure, there are hard core member who have "been there, done that," but for every one of them, there are another six who will really benefit from a specific report. Then there's probably an additional three who will be inspired by a report. Since they're starting from a point that you have already passed, your report may challenge them to consider that next level -- especially if it's written in a candid, down-to-earth style. I'm curious to eyeball the refurbished Green Mountain lookout and check out what's left of the Suiattle Riv Road. Your report was of great value to me. Did you also submit it over at WTA.org?
Thanks for the welcome - I've been lurking and getting trail reports for a while, figured it was time for me to jump on in. And as for the "challenging yourself" - I always seem to convince myself that I can do it. Usually, I'm right, even though I'll pay for it the next day. I'm not all fit like lots here, but that'll never stop me. The only thing I've learned in the last 15 years of hiking is to not put myself in stupid positions by convincing myself to do something idiotic. Life will throw enough stupid situations at me without me searching them out....like starting the hike to Fortune ponds at 1:00 in the afternoon and not getting out until 11:30 pm....but that's another story all together... I didn't submit it at WTA - I noticed a report up on GMT on Monday, so I didn't even think of it. Why duplicate? However, sounds like they might not have seen the bears...

JimK

JimK
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 8:31 pm 
The great thing about hiking all year round is that you never have that pain which comes from using those hiking muscles after a long layoff. You may be a little worn out the next day but not in any pain.

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent

bonobo
Owl Juggler for rent
PostWed Jun 23, 2004 9:29 pm 
Yup, I like to hike year round, but I just finished getting a couple of degrees (finally! It only took me 8 years or so...), and have just gotten a car for the first time in years. I've only been able to go when I could find a driver and enought time. Trust me, I'll be hiking year round now!