Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > DOSEWALLIPS - Another year is lost
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aestivate

aestivate
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 7:52 pm 
PhillyJon wrote:
What about my question if the washed out portion of the road goes thru virgin timber or old burn and clearcut.
It's old forest. The proposed re-route would have been close to a mile of new road, through old growth, and across a steep and potentially unstable hillside. The river has taken over the original alignment.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 9:22 pm 
aestivate wrote:
PhillyJon wrote:
What about my question if the washed out portion of the road goes thru virgin timber or old burn and clearcut.
It's old forest. The proposed re-route would have been close to a mile of new road, through old growth, and across a steep and potentially unstable hillside. The river has taken over the original alignment.
Have you walked this area, or are you repeating something from the newsletters of the opponents to this road ? The area to be used for the bypass has been logged in the past, there are stumps scattered throughout. While there are some landmark trees there, the NFS have promised to bypass the best specimins. Also, the FNS have completed their geotech data collection without finding any "surprises", ie: unstable conditions claimed by the road opponents have not been verified.

I am working on reopening the Dosewallips Road for campers and hikers . Join our effort at : www.brinnonprosperity.org
sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 9:56 pm 
I had addressed these issues previously in this thread.
sailBOI wrote:
If you think my postings are not relevant to hikers & climbers, try driving up the Dosewallips River or the Carbon River. I was up the Dose last weekend, there were about 15 cars. This used to be a well used trailhead, and the 2 campgrounds used to be full. Where do you think these folks have gone ?? There are more hikers every year, so they are crowding onto the other trails you use! We are being shut down over here, prosperity is now a pipe dream. Folks would like to just get back to where we were ten years ago. What happens in King County is very relevant to all rural Washington, as it will set an example. We simply cannot afford any more restrictions on rural folks!! NW Ecosystems were cited in this thread as a responsibe protector of natural lands. No doubt some folks in the forums support them financially. I want you all to know that they have OPPOSED rebuilding the Dosewallips Rd from the very beginning. Before any studies were done, or an EA issued, Regan Smith wrote to the NFS recommending the closure of this road, downgrading the two beautiful campgrounds to "back country" and closure of the Dosewallips Ranger station. ( I have this letter ). I am trying to raise the level of awareness about what is actually going on with these Wilderness groups. I believe they get most of their support from folks who mean well, but don't know how they are harming rural communities. NWEA Gloats over stopping road repair There is not one shread of good science in what these people are doing. We have 1.5 million acres of federal forest here, most protected as National Park and Wilderness. The 4 acres of "old growth" they are focussed on has stumps from previous logging throughout. The bypass repair rould remove the road from the CMZ ( channel migration zone ) and a small wetland area previously traversed. They have not got a shread of proof that the 70 year existance of this seasonal road has caused any measurable damage to wildlife or wilderness. Congress specifically designated this access corridor when the Buckhorn and Brothers wilderness areas were created, and this would never be removed but the functioning of Democracy! The NW Forest Plan that these people are using to keep us out was not a function of Democracy, it was imposed by Clinton as an Executive order........this is an example of Econazi influence and empowerment over our lives, plain and simple/ I had been an environmentalist since the early 70s, but not any more. I am a conservationist now and very careful about which groups I support.
sailBOI wrote:
They are taking credit for stopping the repair of the road, a road that in previous publications they make clear they oppose for philosophical reasons. The news release is full of distortions of fact : "The Forest Service has withdrawn their plans to build a new road through a tract of old-growth forest located on unstable slopes above the Dosewallips River on the Olympic National Forest. Conservationist groups administratively appealed the road building project because it was expected to harm endangered salmon and trout populations in the Dosewallips River, and destroy an ancient forest grove. The Olympic National Forest agreed to reconsider its decision after the Regional Office in Portland, Oregon reviewed the appeals. " 1. The "old growth" area is dotted with stumps from previous harvest. 2. The "unstable" slope is covered in trees and older stumps that are standing vertically, demonstrating stable ground ( see their picture ) 3. Moving the 3/4 mi repair out of the CMZ is good for fish habitat 4. The NFS allowed flexability in routing the repair to save the larger trees. "“Building a new road over unstable slopes poses a huge risk to imperiled salmon and trout,” said Regan Smith, Conservation Associate for the Northwest Ecosystem Alliance. “The government has to understand these risks and make decisions that would prevent the road from sliding into the Dosewallips River and smothering spawning grounds with dirt. They admitted that they have not done that.” 1. The repair does NOT poes a "huge" risk to Salmon 2. Notice the mention of Trout, no doubt in anticipatition of the Dosewallips being listed as a Bull Trout habitat ( it was not ) 3. Please note from the second picture that a huge ammount of material has alread gone into the river. This material creates habitat, and the same people oppose riprap because it prevents the river "harvesting" materials. This terminology suggesting "smothering" is intended to raise support from the uninformed! "The Dosewallips River Road runs through the Olympic National Forest, and provides access to the Olympic National Park. Thousands of visitors recreate in this drainage each year, kayaking the river, hiking the trails and camping at one of the three campgrounds along the length of the road. Restoring car access to the Dosewallips and Elkhorn Campgrounds was the sole reason for rebuilding this road after it was washed out in heavy flooding in 2002." 1. This is the ONLY access road to the East side of Olympic Park. Thousands USED to recreate in this valley when there was a road. 2. Kayakers can no longer get their equipment to the Class A measured Whitewater course on the Upper Dosewallips. 3. The Elkhorn and Dose Trailhead campgrounds are practically deserted now. 4. Car access to the campgrounds is NOT the only reason for restoring the road. Reasons include: A. Maintainence of substantial existing facilities. B. Maintainence of trails and bridges C. Search and rescue, the Dose station has a hydro plant w. radio tel. D. Firefighting and emergency vehicle access E. The only high country Handicapped facilities F. Access to day hike facilities G. Providing ready access for trans Olympic treks Reagan Smith is only a few years out of University, and utilizing administrative rules imposed by Clinton, to micro manage our Forest and Park service professionals. She and Bonnie Phillips, of Olympic Forest Coalition pretend that there is no adverse economic consequence to Jefferson County. This is absolutely false!! They are responsible for removing the last hopes for economic viability in our area, and with no scientific basis. The seals eat more Salmon in one day than a road repair could effect in a year !!!!!!! In the case of OFC, they operate by holding out the threat of litigation continuously, in their effort to control our use of our Public Lands.../

I am working on reopening the Dosewallips Road for campers and hikers . Join our effort at : www.brinnonprosperity.org
aestivate

aestivate
PostMon Nov 22, 2004 11:07 am 
sailBOI wrote:
aestivate wrote:
PhillyJon wrote:
Have you walked this area, or are you repeating something from the newsletters of the opponents to this road ?
Yes, SailBOI, I have walked the alignment. Most people, skeptical of the road closure, who are taken to look at the proposed new alignment, do not like it. I have also walked the closed road, to the old Dose Campground and beyond, several times, which is almost certainly more than you have done, since you're apparently not much of a hiker.

sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostMon Nov 22, 2004 12:48 pm 
aestivate wrote:
Yes, SailBOI, I have walked the alignment. Most people, skeptical of the road closure, who are taken to look at the proposed new alignment, do not like it. I have also walked the closed road, to the old Dose Campground and beyond, several times, which is almost certainly more than you have done, since you're apparently not much of a hiker.
Thanks for making clear to everyone your attitude to older folks up.gif

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 8:05 pm 
sailBOI wrote:
While there are some landmark trees there, the NFS have promised to bypass the best specimins.
Sounds like a re-route that's going to make somebody allot of money. At the expense of the FS and our natural heritage. Is there no other way? PS. The use of the word "Econazi" in the last sentence of the last paragraph of the first long post, is quit chilling.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
phillyjon

phillyjon
PostThu Nov 25, 2004 8:04 pm 
If anyone is still looking at this thread; Can you tell me if the Dosewallipes Rd. is paved to the washout. Can it be driven in a low-clearance car? Thank You And thank you for responding to my earlier post, Sailboi. Sorry for the over-zealous skeptism. I should check it out first.

"No matter how high one sits upon a pedestal, one still sits upon his arse." Ben Franklin
sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostThu Nov 25, 2004 8:48 pm 
PhillyJon wrote:
If anyone is still looking at this thread; Can you tell me if the Dosewallipes Rd. is paved to the washout. Can it be driven in a low-clearance car? Thank You And thank you for responding to my earlier post, Sailboi. Sorry for the over-zealous skeptism. I should check it out first.
We have approximately 1 million acres in the ONP and approximately 1/2 million acres in the ONF, including significant Wilderness. These are public areas where reasonable access is an obligation under National Park policies. Each year roads are damaged by erosion, and there are always groups opposed to repairs. It is not much of a stretch to foresee that these public areas will be less and less accessable over time unless repairs are made. For hikers and outdoors folks, this means more crowded conditions in the remaining access areas. It will require a careful clearing of about 4 acres of forest land to reroute the road. The repair is being started well back from the washout, so that an unnamed salmon stream which presently crosses under the old road through a culvert, would be restored. The Dose Rd is paved to 7 miles where it enters the ONF, after that it is a good gravel road to the washout area ( 11 mi total )....pick a warmer period to avoid snow ( fairly rare ) up.gif

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri Nov 26, 2004 7:49 am 
Thanx, SB. I'll be doing it the first reasonably warm day, when I find out the snow has risen, and the paved RD. doesn't have frost early in morning. I'm a fair weather hiker. bagger.gif

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 4:19 pm 
I did a hike up to Lake Constance last summer and I just parked at the washout and rode my bike to the trailhead where I locked it up and was on my way. What sucks is that I'm not going to be able to do any hikes up there this summer though because my bike got stolen in Seattle last Friday so I have no transportation to the trailheads except walking but that takes too long. I wanted to do some hikes up to Calypso Falls at the end of the Dosewallips Road but looks like that's not going to happen this year.

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 8:07 pm 
Try to hit a stolen property auction for a cheap trail bike.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Don

Don
PostTue Apr 26, 2005 8:14 pm 
I find it fascinating that I agree with the points made by every single post I have read in this thread, which certainly states the conflict at hand. The Dosewallips washout has been compared to the West Side Road closure in MRNP. The first time I hiked to Klapatchie Park in 2.5 hours without bike, I realized that road never should have been built. It was an over-ambitious mistake. I can't imagine them one day opening the flood gates and allowing people to drive to within one hour of such an incredible area in absolute droves. Klapatchie Park and St. Andrews Park would not be able to handle the crowds, in my opinion. The Dosewallips is completely opposite. There are no short day trips at the end of this road that actually reach a destination (Lake Constance is not at the end of the road - thank goodness, so that I may stress my point!). I'm a runner and very ambitious hiker/climber. Last January a buddy of equal physical condition and I failed to reach Constance Pass on a day hike (in May + conditions) due to time constraints - and we road bikes up the road. At some point, the issues of conservation have to fade. To cut an entire area of ONP off to visitors other than the fittest of the fittest has to become an issue of discrimination by the legal sense, or simply one of being taken advantage of by our own principals in the common sense. As hard as it it for me to say, at some point we should not be willing to concede due to the interests of "governmental spending for the sake of the environment". I don't believe the land is the issue at hand here. I believe we have experienced a defect in materials AND workmanship. I suggest we pursue repairs under warranty. Any backers?

phillyjon

phillyjon
PostFri May 27, 2005 6:17 pm 
I'm usually knee-jerk defensive about preserving every stitch of old-growth left in the state, especially since taxpayers have to build the roads for timber companies to harvest it. However, the proposed road detour around the washout on Dosewallips River Road has given me pause. The forest there looks to be around 250-300 years old, with some healthy specimens of Douglas Fir. It would certainly make a nice trail, and the road up to the park passes some tremendous cascades on the Dosewallips, which apparently roars this time of year. This is all fine for the young, and not so young, avid hikers. But is it fair? Everybody in the United States pays for the National Parks, and as seanic as the road may be, it is not wilderness. There has always been access to that campground in the park for the elderly and challenged, and for people who traditionally access the park from there. For the more fit seeking isolation they're free to go as far in as they could ever want. It's a big park. And we won't have to expend 5 miles of energy on a road walk. One time is enough, please. To close off forever a once accessible spot on the eastern border of ONP seems to me a little exclusive. And some of us are not getting any younger, either. Furthermore, no one even knew there were big trees in the area of the proposed road until the original road washed out. I suppose there could be an argument about the expense of maintaining the road-I noticed sections after the washout, especially near the tumbling Dosewallops, that would need regular maintenance. But what the hell, let the timber company get the big bonus trees this time. There will be plenty of threatened cuts across the state that will take priority over this one.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostFri May 27, 2005 6:20 pm 
rolleyes.gif ---> rolleyes.gif smile.gif = rolleyes.gif suuure.gif > rolleyes.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 29, 2005 10:41 am 
dosewallips road/road closures
I'm a bit dismayed to hear the Dosewallips Road hasn't yet been repaired. I'm horrified that the continued closure is due to a ill-informed, however well intentioned elitist minority, the members of which believe the trails in National Parks and National Forests are the exclusive domain of those physically capable of the additional challenge of 3 or 4 or 5 miles of hiking on rough gravel roadbeds. It was never the intention of the U.S. Congress, in creating our Parks or National Forests, to make them accessible only to those who are in prime physical condition, or who have the time available to squeeze that extra distance into a day-hike or weekend outing. Rather, those areas were created for the use and enjoyment of the PUBLIC, which includes children, the elderly, and the physically challenged. What is ignored in the debate over road closures is the detrimental effect they have on other nearby areas, as hikers are displaced to other areas which otherwise would probably not see such heavy user loads. Additionally, leaving buildings without maintenance, repair, or law enforcement miles away from the nearest road access results in the destruction, by vandalism or nature, of expensive structures, equipment, and facilities. A prime example of this was the virtual destruction of most of the Park buildings at the end of the Carbon River Road several years back. Granted, the construction of the West Side Road at MRNP ( and its original plan of a "highway around the mountain" ) was a hare-brained scheme from the start. Still, driving up to Klapatchie Point to watch the sun set was one of my favorite drives 30 years ago. At present, all that vehicle traffic is now restricted to the road up to Paradise, which on any given summer weekend is generally bumper-to-bumper, creating a traffic nightmare in an area which should be providing solitude. Presently, the Queets River Road is closed about 5 miles from the trailhead, requiring one to walk an additional 2 or 3 hours just to get to the river ford, which by mid-day can be considerably higher than it would be during the early morning. The Ranger Station has been broken into, but fortunately the damage to the structure was minimal. Not only is Park property at greater risk, but also hikers. The closure of the Queets River Road and the lack of access to the campground will result in that user group being displaced, probably to the tiny North Fork Quinault campground, or possibly Graves Creek, or the already-overcrowded circus at Kalaloch. Perhaps it is the goal of groups such as NWEA to squeeze an ever-increasing user group into fewer and fewer available areas, leaving them a greater share of wilderness for their own personal enjoyment. Road washouts in Western Washington are a naturally occuring event, and should be addressed as such. The argument concerning "unstable slopes" is specious at best. Is there anyone who can show me a road, anywhere on NPS or NFS land, constructed within a river valley, that was NOT built on "unstable slopes" ? If we were to follow the course now being taken by groups such as NWEA to its ultimate end, virtually every road within NFS or NPS lands would be closed.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."