Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bessemer Mountain (5166') - 6/26/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Jun 27, 2004 9:58 pm 
The weather looked surprisingly good when Craig and I met at 700 in Issaquah, so our west side option won out. We parked at the CCC road turn out at roughly 959' along the MFK road. Our route of choice was the long SE ridge of Bessemer as described in Dreisbach. We walked the CCC road for about 1/2 mile then took the first road that goes to the right. We walked this road another 1/8 mile until we came to another intersection where we went left up the "rockier" option. Another half mile on this road brought us to the SE ridge at 1600'. From here we followed the ridge on up - mostly easy travel with minimal brush. At 3180' there is a large rock horn that we bypassed to the left. We traversed about 200' over to a narrow gully that heads up and around the rock horn. The gully is mostly a cake walk, but at its head is a difficult class 5 step where you'll be clinging for your life to the huckleberry stalks. Craig didn't like the looks of this and found an easier option about 3/4 of the way up the gully. Exit to the left up a subtle ramp then head right through large trees parallel to the gully. Either way gets you back onto the ridge at 3400'. The next obstacles were a couple class 3 rock steps maybe an 1/8 of a mile from the gully. One has some exposure, but is easily bypassed especially if you have a partner you can shuttle your pack to. From here to about 4500' there were several minor obstacles where we had to get off the ridge to the left, but these presented few if any difficulties. At 4500' along the ridge we dropped 80' to the right down a very steep huckleberry slope. Once down we traversed along the base of the summit ridge to the north about 1/4 mile across several steep snow fields to a gully that angled NNW. The snow fields offered the only relief to my withering water supply and I was glad I decided to throw some snow in my water bottles – there is absolutely no other water on the route. The gully that angles NNW gains 150' on wet slabs where it turns to the west up the final 250' to the summit ridge. The gully was quite wet and slick from melt water which made the friction climbing (class 3-4 at times) way more invigorating than it should have been. After I had to downclimb a particularly sketchy section, we found an easier way to the ridge. About 50' of vertical past where the gully turns to the west, exit left into the trees where the going is much easier. About 60’ from the ridge top we traversed the head of the gully about 100’ to another gully that put us on a friendlier section of the ridge. Simply ascending to the top of the gully then traversing leads to unnecessary exposure. The second gully isn’t any better than the first as the climbing is on featureless duff and moss covered rocks, but it leads nicely to the summit ridge and an easy traverse over to the summit block. We found an exposed notch to set up a belay about 50-60’ below the class 5 summit block. From the notch we thought we were hosed because all we had were a few slings and no pro to protect the block, but it turns out there’s an “easier” way to the left. I belayed Craig from the notch and he used one sling at the summit block to protect the exposed left corner. After belaying me up and around the corner we rolled up the last few feet to the summit without difficulty. Bessemer is a great summit as it’s large enough for about 100 of your closest buddies assuming they don’t mind swinging through classic MFK brush and ascending rotten gully systems. Views were great over to Garfield, Russian Butte, Preacher, Quartz, and Rooster. All three of the Blethen Lakes (yes three!) were visible directly (and I mean directly) below us as were Hancock and the seldom visited “Quartz” Lake. There were only a couple names in the register placed by Fay Pullen in 2002. I believe the only other ascent was in 2003 by Don Beavon and company. We were surprised not to find “Plinko” in the register, as he was just up here a few days prior. For the return we opted to rappel directly off the summit block instead of downclimbing around to the left. One rappel with a 30m rope got us back to the notch in no time. We followed the same route out and made a single rappel down the second gully described above. Overall, this was a fantastic climb that entailed everything the MFK typically has to offer; thick brush, steep terrain, steep terrain with thick brush, cliffs, steep duff slopes, slick gullies, slick gullies with scattered duff, more duff, sounds of gunfire, sense of adventure, and of course amazing summit views! Pictures soon!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Plinko

Plinko
PostMon Jun 28, 2004 12:33 am 
Excellent TR Randy! I wonder how feasable thew west approach would be in winter or early spring...from the slope angles, could you get any idea what kind of exposure you'd have to avalanche along that approach? Fay Pullen's TR on Peak Baggers speaks of cornices on one of his attempts, but it's been in the back of my mind for a while now... We should climb together sometime up.gif Looking forward to your pics! smile.gif

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostMon Jun 28, 2004 12:58 am 
There is always gunfire up there! agree.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jun 28, 2004 12:42 pm 
Plinko wrote:
Excellent TR Randy! I wonder how feasable thew west approach would be in winter or early spring...from the slope angles, could you get any idea what kind of exposure you'd have to avalanche along that approach? Fay Pullen's TR on Peak Baggers speaks of cornices on one of his attempts, but it's been in the back of my mind for a while now... We should climb together sometime up.gif Looking forward to your pics! smile.gif
I wasn't really looking over the west edge too much as it was pretty exposed along the ridge. I know it's a pretty open (logged) slope though that would be in direct line with falling cornices. I'm sure it's a feasible route though...it's not that steep smile.gif If I was to do this in winter I'd probably opt to come in from the logging roads to the south - not the most appealing route, but much more accessible then that west side of the mountain in winter, IMO.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jun 28, 2004 8:11 pm 
Snaps!

Plinko

Plinko
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 1:10 am 
Great pics!! Thanks a bunch Randy! All that evil brush doesn't look so threatening in that second pic tongue.gif The ledge/traverse in the last photo looks real fun wink.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Jun 29, 2004 8:59 pm 
A few shots with views...
Garfield Mountain and Upper MFK Valley
Garfield Mountain and Upper MFK Valley
Looking South From Summit
Looking South From Summit
Quartz Mountain
Quartz Mountain

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue May 11, 2021 7:57 am 
Thanks for posting this excellent report! I've been eyeing the SE Ridge. Looks challenging and long! Great pic's!

Randy