Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Cascade Weekend 5/8-9
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon May 10, 2021 8:26 pm 
Catleap Pk 7789 S Flagg Mtn 7422 Delancy Ridge 7228 When the N Cascade highway opens, it feels like my Christmas. So, I woke early on Sat morning around 4 to start the drive to highway 20. I had plans to climb some peaks and then meet up with some friends afterwards, both happened!. My goal for Saturday was to climb some peaks around Delancy Ridge, East of Washington Pass. I found a place to park along the highway and headed into the brush. It was slow going for the first 500 feet of gain until the bushwhacking stopped. I was surprised to not put my snowshoes on until after 5000'. Even though I put them on, they weren't really needed but it was nice to get them off my back. The snow was firm and getting steeper as I headed for the col just SW of Delancy BM. I reached the col and had to descend several hundred feet into the Leap Cr drainage. I swapped the snowshoes for crampons for the steep side hilling. It was still slow travel as the snow was still very firm, so glad I had crampons with me. I headed to the next col with cornices looming above. I saw one spot that didn't seem very tough, so I went for it. It ended up being a little tougher than I thought but with a couple trees on the slope as my anchor, I chopped into the vertical cornice with my ice ax for a safer ascent to the saddle. I knew I wouldn't downclimb that section on my way back down.
Big Methow Needle/Catleap Col
Big Methow Needle/Catleap Col
After reaching the saddle, it was easy enough going to the ridge and a little scrambling to get to the top. I didn't find a register but I was looking to the West to see if my buddies were on top of Holliway a few miles away. It was cloudier than the expected forecast so I didn't spend much time on top and headed down. I found a better way to drop into the Leap basin with out an exposed cornice. It still was careful down climbing, front pointing with the ax planted on every down step.
Big Methow Needle
Big Methow Needle
Tower among the clouds
Tower among the clouds
I headed back to the Delancy BM col and headed up it's S face on my way towards S Flagg Mtn. Mostly snow travel and easy times with a good view over across the valley to Catleap. Again, no register found.
mountain views from Flagg
mountain views from Flagg
SilverStar from Flagg
SilverStar from Flagg
I headed back to Delancy BM wondering if I should go for the prominent Delancy Ridge another mile away. the ridge run looked easy enough although I was already tired from the long day. I just went for it and reached the summit to views looking to SilverStar. I headed down towards 20 a different way then I went up, it worked but I still found some brush that slowed progress. I was relived to get back to my truck and drive over to Cedar Cr Th to camp for the night and hopefully see my buddies. They (Fletcher, Josh and Damon) showed up a few hours later and it was so fun to hang with some friends after a big day in the mountains Day 1 12.25 miles 7900' elevation gain 9 hours Next day~ Whistler Pk 7790' On Sunday morning, I wasn't super motivated but had some ideas of a short hike to do while I was in the area. I had thought of the nearby Sandy Butte, but remembered a difficult creek crossing in early season. I settled on a Whistler Pk near Rainy Pass. It's been one of those pks that doesn't take a lot of time but is nice to get on the way back home from other trips. I found a place to park at Rainy Pass and used my truck to hop onto the big 6' snow wall. I hiked up the firm snow on it's W ridge. Up high I found some recent ski tracks but it looked more like survival skiing due to the crusty layer. It got steep near the top and I put on crampons to gain the summit. Great views all around and it was nice to get this summit after many years of driving right underneath it.
Cutthroat Pk
Cutthroat Pk
views from Whistler
views from Whistler
I carefully down climbed the frozen slopes and was happy to gather up enough energy to do this quick hike.
Whistler Pk
Whistler Pk
Although it was a short hike, it was very worth it for the views. Day 2 2.75 miles 2900' elevation gain

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostMon May 10, 2021 10:20 pm 
mcgregor or dome in the distance?
raising3hikers wrote:
views from Whistler
views from Whistler
looks like a fun trip. christmas in may for sure. i don't remember a creek crossing on sandy butte via the north ridge. i think we ended up in campground/parking area.
sandy butte
sandy butte

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue May 11, 2021 9:14 am 
Looking forward to more TRs from you this year as you continue diving into the truly obscure. Good times on Saturday night!

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 11, 2021 9:35 am 
You can save Sandy to do with your kids as a summer outing. I think there is a motorcycle track to the top. Why didn't you just walk over to Whistler from Delancy ridge....you had a couple of minutes to kill. You coulda done that!

Art is an adventure.
Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostTue May 11, 2021 4:43 pm 
You probably get a third Christmas morning on the first Sunday of NFL season, too. I love these trip reports from seldom-summited peaks! Way to get after it.