Forum Index > Gear Talk > snowshoe brands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Curt

Curt
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 7:40 am 
How much do the MSR Ascents (the ones with the heel lifts) weigh? I'm looking for an honest weight, not necessarily a catalog weight. Thanks! -Curt

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 8:14 am 
MSR I used to swear by the Sherpas with the crampon like claw, but the MSRs beat them, especially on a side slope. I haven't experienced the rivet problem, but if I buy a pair, I'll also get and carry the required spare parts. (I don't own a pair because I usueally snowshoe with a couple friends with MSR connections).

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 10:34 am 
I have the MSR Denali Classics, as Pacific Feather Company sells them for dirt cheap at their once a year sale in November/December (?). I have not used any either snowshoe so I have no comparison. Every single one of my mountaineering buddies have these snowshoes. I think that means something right there. If I could get the ascents, I would have done it now, especially for things like Granite Mountain, etc.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 11:00 am 
My and I recently returned from 3-days snowshoeing at Scottish Lakes High Camp. My wife loves her MSR's and I have always been a Tubbs fanatic. Anyway, she talked me into getting a pair of Denali Ascents, and after three days of use and some ventures into the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, I must admit I'm a convert. I discovered that I had much better side hill and down hill control and the only learning curve was determining how far to place my boot in the binding to avoid clipping the toe on the shoe. Despite my 190 frame and 25-pound daypack, I did not need the 5" tails, a big plus given the softer eastern Washington snow we hiked on.

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 1:43 pm 
I've got the regular MSR's (I think they're Denali's) that I got a few years ago. Love 'em. Never used anything else, so don't have comparison. However, first time I snowshoed I went with a friend who had an extra pair. He let me use his MSR's and he used his Atlas's. He kept wanting to trade me because the MSR's were lighter, and thus a little less tiring to walk in. Atlas's are sure pretty, but I think I may just have to do a fancy schmancy decorating job on my MSR's. tongue.gif I'd get the Ascents, but a new pair is not exactly in the budget right now, so I'll stick with my Denali's that I'm happy with. Haven't run into the rivot problem, but would be nice to have some spares just in case. Do I just call them and they'll send me some?

Beave

Beave
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 6:01 pm 
Rack another up for MSR Ascents.... A great snowshoe for anything technical.... Lots of bite, especially on the crusty stuff.... I have yet to have the rivet problem.... My first pair failed when I tore the binding material... Don't ask how... confused.gif After exchanging at REI, I had a strap that came loose and fell off somewhere on the lower slopes of Mt Defiance... No problems since, even with 180 (plus pack) lbs., plenty of traverses, 15' free falls lol.gif and other rigors associated with off-trail travel.... Or should I say, travels with Randy!!! lol.gif Oh yeah, and those 8" float tails I am wearing in the picture are not worth buying IMO..... I never even think about bringing them anywhere these days....

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 6:12 pm 
I am on my second pair of MSRs now and have no regrets. The Denali's are nice with the heel anchor for kicking in but I use the entry model. Another benefit to the MSR is that sometimes the snowshoes will be buried in snow by either knifeing in or by small snowslides which are started by the hiker. The beltlike rubber straps can be undone easily by reaching down into the snow with the hand rather than having to dig out the whole snowshoe. Not that you would ever use it but that little whole in the front of the snowshoe would serve nicely to use as a deadman anchor if needed.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 7:16 pm 
The MSR's worked ok for yesterday, but I didn't really get to subject them to the acid test as the first part of the trail was packed down some. The snow at the pass yesterday was *very* wet.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 14, 2002 10:16 pm 
Quote:
How much do the MSR Ascents (the ones with the heel lifts) weigh? I'm looking for an honest weight, not necessarily a catalog weight. Thanks! -Curt
Hey Curt, according to my scale: MSR Denali Ascents Pair 1: 3 lb 14.5 oz (newer binding with 3 top laces, missing a saber tooth) Pair 2: 3 lb 13.2 oz (older binding with only 2 top laces) Mfr. Claim: 3 lb 12 oz (they must have trimmed the laces to a minimum and drilled a few holes lol.gif) MSR Denali 26" Tails Pair 1: 11.5 oz Pair 2: 11.4 oz Mfr. Claim: 11.3 oz MSR Denali 30" Tails Pair 1: 16.9 oz Pair 2: 16.6 oz Mfr. Claim: 16 oz

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostTue Jan 15, 2002 9:25 pm 
Hey Curt, according to my 3001T the Denali Ascents weigh 3 lb 15.2 oz. This is with all parts in tact and with laces un-trimmed as they would come brand new. Trimming the laces could shave additional weight. The 4" tails come up at 11.4 oz and the 8 " tails at 16.8 oz. Hey Allison, I got the spare pins for the binding system by calling MSR's customer service. The number is 1-800-877-9677. Just give them a jingle and tell them how you were snowshoeing in the deepest backcountry when your binding gave out. Your only option was spending the night and trying to endure the hypothermia that had set in. To make matters worse a pack of wolves relentlessly stalked you for the duration of the night. Somehow you made it through unscathed and the next day a chopper rescued you. Unfortunately you got stuck with a $2000 rescue bill and since your car sat at the trailhead overnight some crooks had stolen it. Tell them that all you want is a couple replacement pins to insure that these circumstances are not repeated in the future. They will mail some right out!

JimK

JimK
PostThu Feb 07, 2002 6:18 pm 
One more vote for Denali Ascents. I am 6'4" and weigh about 210. I was told to buy 30" shoes for my first pair. The first time I went steeply downhill on those was a disaster. A Mountaineer group chopped up the snow and I was falling left and right. Next I bought 26" Tubbs and they were much better. Lastly are the MSRs. They are better on sidehilling, better downhill and better uphill with the heel lifts. I don't use the others with less than 3 feet of fresh snow.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 12:29 am 
My vote is for the hypalon and aluminum Atlas 1033's. Best binding and claw on the market. No worries about side-slop, foot-wiggle or wimpy snapping rivets. I've had 2 pairs of Sherpas for 20 years....still work fine, but I've had to re-lace them. Even the ruggedest lacing will abrade on the outside wrappings. Last weekend on Palisades Trail, my buddy's brand-new Sherpas had a lace break on him. This was the new-fangled, bright red material that seems really stiff and strong. Maybe a brittleness problem. The fracture was clean and straight....like a knife-cut. Maybe they should have stuck with neoprene. Speaking of neoprene...I also have 2 pairs of even older ash and neoprene shoes with homemade claws that are totally functional. They get left in the garage more than they'd like, but when more than 4 of us go out, they smash the crust with the best of 'em. I like MSR. Good ice axes, good helmets. Maybe they'll get the snowshoes right eventually.

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 8:14 am 
Other than Lopper's comments, this seems to be the MSR Denali fan club! wink.gif Lopper, could you be more specific about the reason you don't like their snowshoes? Actually, I can't comment on any other brand because MSRs are all I've used. BTW, REI Outlet just yesterday ran out of Denali Classics (@ $49).

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 9:25 am 
I don't mean to totally dismiss the MSRs. They are functional and cheap. Far superior to the rawhide and wooden things we used to rent from REI in the 60's. My complaints are minor. 3 functional and one aesthetic. 1) The "perforated inner-tube" style binding. The straps are going to strip out over time, and I prefer an aggressive sharp metal ice claw under my foot. 2) The "nexus of despair" hinge assembly. Everything depends on that little plastic flange and pin dealie holding together. 3) They're sooo NOISY. Yeah, I know it is only in the crust, but that is the dominant condition under the W Cascades treeline. And after several hours of crashing din, it gets tiresome. (In the non-crust at higher elevations, we usually are off the snowshoes and onto the skis anyway....so I'd never get to hear them be quiet.) aesthetic: Too much plastic in my life already. Flame suit on.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 08, 2002 11:37 am 
Not to debate the issue, but I was really worried about these shoes being "noisy" before I got mine. I'm a self confessed noise freak. I do not find these shoes objectionably noisy. If they become noisy it means it's time to take them off and strap them to your pack.