Forum Index > Trail Talk > MFK Road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 11:22 am 
Let me know on that repair party. I'm in if I'm in town. I won't be available till next Thursday, but after that I will be happy to come up and help where I can. I drive a 93 Grand Cherokee. It has hooks on the front, but (figure this one out) nothing to hook onto on the back. waah.gif But if I can be of help let me know.

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Samurai Joe

Samurai Joe
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 2:09 pm 
Yo MTN GOAT! I'm up for that repair party. I've got two rigs with winches too! I say tally ho the fox (or goat in this case) let's get it done! TB

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 2:31 pm 
let's git-er-done. You got tow chains for those winches? I've got a monster pry bar from a old logging site (found wedged under a log), a couple shovels. Who can bring a chain saw?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 3:23 pm 
A gardening social with winches, I like it. Would have to be an after work deal for me though. Perhaps a BBQ is in order here.

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 4:26 pm 
i'll bring the ice... Ice Girl tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 4:34 pm 
Ive got an ARB refridgerator/freezer that I'll pack with beer! Should be able to get three cases in it! Got it hard wired to the battery! I've got some chains and tow straps. We'll need my three snatch blocks to move that heavy stuff though. I'm leaving soon to work on the USS Enterprise, so we need to hurry! TB biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif P.S. We dont need the Ice, girl, so bring something else you think we'd like!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 4:53 pm 
after work works for me, maybe next friday evening and mix a work party with a campout afterwords? I can skate at three or so and be at the end of the road by 4:30 or so easily, that's 5 good hours of digging and moving.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:29 pm 
Roger that. I can get any day off. Lets organize and make a date. Any point contacting the forest service and seeing if there are any plans on their end for the repair? Is this a spend the night party? Sounds good if so! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:38 pm 
that's a good idea. I'll call them up and see what the scoop is. No point in wasting time digging if they are going to use a cat and just scrape the road open in a couple hours. Which I doubt, given the planning and desire to close this road anyway, I suspect this will be part of an excuse why the road won't be fixed. But I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt and ask, I'll let you know.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:38 pm 
that's a good idea. I'll call them up and see what the scoop is. No point in wasting time digging if they are going to use a cat and just scrape the road open in a couple hours. Which I doubt, given the planning and desire to close this road anyway, I suspect this will be part of an excuse why the road won't be fixed. But I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt and ask, I'll let you know.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:39 pm 
Why thank you your Goatship! I'll await your reply. Cheers! TB

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:41 pm 
Ok, if you don't want ice, then i will just have to give it some thought in what i will bring... Ice Girl tongue.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:47 pm 
Well its either that, or you DO bring ice and we crank my fridge up to 5 (that means it'll freeze vodka) and we keep the ice frozen for the whole time where there. Then we just take from it as we need it. Come to think of it, if we're gonna do that, I'll just fill it with ice at home and keep it frozen on the trip out there. I live in Issaquah, it doesnt take me any time to get to the end of the road. Soon as the road turns gravel I air my tires down to 10 psi and fly down the road pothole impervious!!!!!!!!!!!!! TB P.S., if anyone wants to air down for the crappy road, I've got onboard air to air you back up before you leave!

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch

Sundance Kid
Hiking the Wasatch
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 5:54 pm 
Deflating Tires?
I've always heard that you should lower your tire pressure when you're going into conditions that have bad traction (or potholes, in this case), but I am leery about doing something like that to my baby Jeep. I've never tried it before. Are you sure it doesn't do any damage to the rims? Please explain it to me and forgive me for my ignorance. clown.gif

Just where is it I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 13, 2002 6:29 pm 
First off if your a Jeep guy you're in! Second, it all depends on the tire, the tire size and how low you go! Example, I'm running 33x12.50x15 BFG mudders on my cherokee. I can safely go down to 5-6 psi in a 4-lo range 4x4 crawling situation. My normal street pressure is 30psi. For the middle fork I'll go to 10-15psi and drive 40 mph down the road. I carry a full size spare, on board air, inner tubes, and a tire repair kit. If you're running stock wheels and tires I'd air down to 15-20 psi and you'll notice a huge difference driving that road. By the way, dont ever NOT ask a question. Ignorance is great, stupidity sucks! It would be stupid NOT to ask that question. If you want to meet and drive together so that if you have a problem we can put some air in your tires just email me. TB