Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat Jun 24, 2006 10:20 pm 
jenjen wrote:
A couple hundred years ago it was cold enough in Europe that the great canals froze solid. Glaciers have been receding since an ice sheet about a mile thick covered the Seattle area. Are humans causing that change? I honestly don't know. I honestly don't think anyone knows.
There's a show on the History Channel that talks about this, called Little Ice Age. Pretty interesting stuff. They're pretty sure it was caused by a massive volcanic eruption. I can't remember which though.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 12:07 am 
i think sunspots are in on the deal. sounds crazy, but the solar wind has planetwide reach

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 6:56 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
i think sunspots are in on the deal. sounds crazy, but the solar wind has planetwide reach
Not crazy at all. Solar activity and volcanic activity are cited as the two most likely causes of the Little Ice Age. Natural forces have driven climate changes before humans evolved. These forces include changes in the heat put out by the sun, volcanic eruptions that inject dust into the atmosphere, changes in the orientation of the Earth's axis with respect to its orbit, and changes in the distribution of land and ocean over the face of the Earth. But recent dramatic anthropogenic changes must also certainly have some influence. These changes include the burning of fossil fuels, deforestation, and agricultural activity. The interesting thing about Greenland is that while the Norse colony eventually withered away, the Inuits thrived there comparatively. The Norse failed to adapt and in some ways, failed to learn from the Inuits because of their own prejudices against the Inuit "wretches."

Let me stand next to your fire
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jun 25, 2006 11:56 am 
Wikipedia entry for Little Ice Age lists both solar and volcanic activity as probable influences. The cultural and political side effects, according to the History Channel program, were interesting. The colder tempratures apparently almost stopped Washington from crossing the Delaware river during the Revolutionary War, and inspired a ghost story contest between a few writers that was when Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein. And then there was the proliferation of the Black Death.

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Nov 20, 2006 11:54 pm 
Just watched An Inconvenient Truth. Very interesting movie. I at least hope this film motivates people to be aware of their consumption and act upon it.

Dale

Dale
PostTue Nov 21, 2006 8:58 am 
Guess we should stop using so much electricity reading and posting to these bulletin boards. Even better would be to sell our automobiles and trucks and bicycle to the trailheads. But then again exercise machines hooked up to Virtual Reality computers would give us the similar hiking experiences. Maybe we could even dial in being lost on a snowey night in the mountains. Even better use those exercise machines to generate power and feed the grid so we could once again surf the web but without killing any salmon or causing Global Warming or whatever. System Engineers doing tradeoffs. But don't tell ALGore. Dale --- $ dale-reed@worldnet.att.net Seattle, Washington $

Gil

Gil
PostTue Nov 21, 2006 1:43 pm 
shakehead.gif

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini