Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 8:29 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Backpacker Chumley wrote:
As I have said, there is enough wilderness in this state for hikers to enjoy. There is not anywhere near enough recreational land for alternate forms of recreation.
It is your right to say that and I respectfully disagree, the difference is you are not posing as a hiker/climber arguing for more access. You are a biker wanting to ride on my trails and I don't like sharing the trails with bikers. You are authentic he is not.
Backpacker Chumley wrote:
By choosing to ignore, or worse yet condemn those forms of recreation you diminish your own TB
That does not follow at all. It does not diminish my recreation to not have motorbikes on the trail any more than it does to prohibit arson cutting switchbacks or flagging.
I know you arent blind...... It isnt about motor bikes on the (read YOUR) trails. It's about having alternate recreational activities AREAS! Come one you're smarter than that. Im arguing the Wild Sky becuase it's just one more closed off area for FEET! Im saying that alternate forms of recreation deserve areas to recreate TOO! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sailBOI
Access Public Lands

sailBOI
Access Public Lands
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 9:35 pm 
Wild Sky / Dosewallips
MtnGoat wrote:
I haven't seen this guy cause any trouble here. He posted something some folks don't like. And then a lot of accusations for behaviors not exhibited here. Lets see how it develops rather than piling on a person new here.
I haven't made any impolite posts anywhere, nor have I been accused of spamming until now. It would appear that some people feel that piling on someone is like saying hello! I am considerably older that many of you and have been hiking in the NW since 1972. At that time and until recently, I was a wilderness advocate and environmentalist, deciding to build a home in Brinnon so that the Olympic National Park was close at hand. I was pleased to have the Dosewallips Valley protected by the presence of the Buckhorn Wilderness to the north, and the Brothers Wilderness to the south. At the head of the Valley lay ONP, and the georgeous Dose Trailheads, Falls and Ranger station. Always an exciting place to visit, people from all over the world could be found there on any given day. Folks from the Seattle side could do Constance on a weekend, and Anderson on a 3 day weekend. Whitewater folks had a class A course marked out on the upper Dose. I never saw any user abusing the Wilderness in my many years of use. In January 02 a raging flood washed out the road about 10 miles in, leaving 5 miles to get to the ONP trail heads. We had friends visiting from Alaska that summer, and we drove up Valley to find the road gone. What a disappointment, but we all said......OK, next summer we will go! The next summer came, and no road ! I started investigation this with the Olympic Natl Forest, as that section of road is on their land. I was astounded to hear that several environmental groups were objecting to the repair of the road. I started reading their newsletters and was stunned to find that they take a literal interpretation of the word "untrammeled", as it appears in the Wilderness Act. Essentially it's claimed to mean.....no people ( or few )! Shelters in the High Country are to be removed, the Dose Campground is to be DOWNgraded to backcountry and the ROAD CLOSED. Folks, last time I checked, this was a NATIONAL PARK, intended for all Americans. They claim that the cars interfere with the migration patterns of the endangered Elk ( they are not endangered ), of course they play the "Spotted Owl" card. Although there are 1.5 million acres of ONP & ONF lands, bearing about 50 million trees......as you would expect the 4 acre area needing to be partially cleared to repair the road bears trees predating Columbus ( but there are stumps from previous logging ). The biggest claim made is that the two wilderness areas that I loved having there are USED AS AN EXCUSE to eliminate the road......the wilderness areas need to be merged and become seamless. Nevermind that Congress and the President left the access corridor there when the wilderness was created, never mind that most of us want the corridor. This is not about democracy, but about control by a small minority. Same thing is happening to the Carbon River access road at Rainier, I understand. But some of these same groups are pushing for Wild Sky, and using guaranteed access as a benefit.........I am saying, look out for these folks, they are more about the Wildlands Project that they are about access. Wildlands - needs to be understood SO, the Dose Trailhead is now only lightly used, and users are obligated to hike a 10 mile round trip on a relatively level road. This rules out all the uses mentioned above. If this sort of thing continues, folks from the Seattle area will have fewer, more crowded options for hiking! Thanks for listening..... www.brinnonprosperity.org ps: the decision to rebuild the Dosewallips Rd has been withdrawn by the ONF, as a result of 2 Appeals filed by these groups....we will now be at least 4 years total without reasonable access to the Dose facility. Be careful which groups you support or donate to !!

I am working on reopening the Dosewallips Road for campers and hikers . Join our effort at : www.brinnonprosperity.org
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 10:10 pm 
Come here sailBOI, give me a hug, you know you want to........... It will be ok pet.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 10:11 pm 
I'm actually with you about keeping the Dosewallips Road open, and your stance about access in National Parks. I disagree with your opposition to the Wild Sky though. Anyway, what I was saying is don't spam, which is what your initial postings look like, particuarly with your constant links to the same 2-3 websites. I apologize if I came across a bit harsh.

polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Jul 18, 2004 10:55 pm 
Quark wrote:
The letter you advise people to use is probably the worst I have ever seen and must be a joke. C'mon - what busy government official wants to read what you think Christopher Columbus thought....?
lol.gif Here is what Columbus thought.