Forum Index > Gear Talk > Mountaineering Harness Q's
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 5:11 pm 
I'm looking at purchasing a harness and know some of you folks use them out in the field. I'm wondering which ones you like and why. Comfort and adjustability are both factors. I've been eyeballing this one and like the fit and leg adjustments. http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/freedom.asp I prefer a cert. one. Most likely will not be used for rock climbing but more for glacier, snow & maybe ice travel. My concern is how is the comfort when carrying a pack? Thanks for any input. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon Jun 17, 2002 10:37 pm 
Why does it have to be certified if you are on glaciers? The falls are less severe. Weight is more important. Unless you are climbing Rainier, in which case you'll have it on for hours. I use 1" webbing for glacier slog harnesses. Weighs half a commercial harness, takes up half the room in your pack, ultra strong (if you tie it correctly!). Fits under the pack belt pretty good too. My commercial harness is uncomfy under the pack.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 10:47 am 
...or if you'd prefer a store-bought sort of thing, why not get something simple and lightweight like a BD Alpine Bod? That Metolius looks like it wold be a nice comfy harness for rock climbing, but I'm not sure I'd want to wear it with a bunch of clothing under it, and more importantly, a pack over it.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostTue Jun 18, 2002 11:39 am 
I made and used a harness made from webbing years ago and I have to say it was everything rubberlegs said it is: Cheap, light weight, small, reaonably comfortable. I may still have it in one of my hiking boxes. Now that I am a light weight fanatic biggrin.gif, I think I'm going to look for it today.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 5:45 pm 
Cert.? I'm also looking into a climbing course and they indicated that that cert. is recommended. Part of the course will be some rock but not much. I'm not sure that a homemade webbing will pass their criteria. Also I'm into not being a stat on Baker, Rainier or Hood or any of their cravases for equipment reasons. For this I will live by safety first and if that means tested and approved equipment then I will spend the $. Know what I mean? Homemade tent, sleeping bag or pack is fine, Rope, helmet, axe and harness I will not compromise as far as safety items. I feel my life can and will depend on them. So as for the Alpine Bod, I like it. I also liked the adjustability of the legs on the Metolius but isn't a big issue. I'm sure that the padding on the waist belt would be uncomfortable w/pack. So I count 2 webs and an Alpine Bod? Guess that's why I asked. Thanks for the input. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostTue Jun 18, 2002 9:41 pm 
I helped in a few climbing courses, and every one has their own strange rules. Wait until you take the course before buying a harness. They'll tell you what they want. Sometimes they want a specific harness. The course I took used to teach how to make a 'swami belt' harness, but doesn't any more. Now they use a commercial harness.

3fngrs

3fngrs
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 4:15 pm 
Have to agree with the others on the BD Alpine Bod. Its just about the lightest and least expensive harness available. smile.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 8:40 pm 
Just might be the way to go. I see some of the outfits mention it as a choice. I'll wait and see. Thanks NN

MounTAIN Woman

MounTAIN Woman
PostFri Jun 21, 2002 9:52 am 
Add one more vote for the BD Alpine Bod. I have also used slings, or even the old bowline on a coil, when I forgot my harness. For all of the reasons stated above, plus one more. The leg loops drop easily, even over crampons, for those nature calls. wink.gif I'd save the bulkier, cushier harness for crag climbing, where you will likely be sitting in it a lot more. But you should probably learn how to fashion a harness from webbing, from the end of the rope itself, etc. You never know when you may need it. It's one of those basic "mountain skills" that all climbers should keep in their bag of tricks, like the Muenter hitch belay, or carabiner brake (or dulfersitz, for the hard core!) rappel, in case you lose your belay/rappel devices.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 24, 2002 5:23 pm 
The BD alpine bod is good. But go to this website to check out the lightest equipment. You don't need top of the line for what you are doing. http://www.argear.com/gear/grcassineolo.html

Art is an adventure.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 7:41 am 
Any outlets around Puget Sound that carry the Cassin? I can't seem to locate any on the net. NN smile.gif

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 11:38 am 
Sorry, I am no expert on the local climbing shops and what they carry.

Art is an adventure.