Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > campfires??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigStud

BigStud
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:04 pm 
I just recently moved to the area, and am planning a hiking/fishing trip up to the Alpine Lakes. Trout lake, Copper, Little Heart........ I'm planning my trip for sometime in the next couple weeks. I had an aquaintance tell me that I won't be able to have a small campfire while I am up there. Is he right? Thanks for any help.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:07 pm 
Yep. No fires. Just about anyplace above 4,000 feet is off limits. At lower elevations there are rules that either prohibit fires or make them theoretically possible, but not really an option. Campgrounds and general forest service land is your best shot. But most of those are under a seasonl burn ban. Do you like candles?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:11 pm 
that sucks

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:14 pm 
It sure took some getting-used-to for me. I grew up having to have a fire and other stock accoutrements at any outdoor dwelling place. but I found that the really primo spots just don't produce enough burnable vegetation to meet the demand of campfire builders. So you arrive at this denuded place. You have no chance of building a fire anyway, 'cause the wood's long gone. So fires are physically prohibited due to exhausted fuel. Had fires been prohibited a couple years sooner, the end result would be the same, you just wouldn't have a such hacked-up camping area.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
BigStud

BigStud
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:27 pm 
wow...thanks for the quick reply. i have always had campfires before while camping. gonna be wierd camping without one. but i'll make due smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:29 pm 
I like a campfire too (if someone else is doing all the hard work biggrin.gif ) But not this year! It is so dry out there. I figure I will have all my campfires this winter, when car camping wink.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:42 pm 
Look, sorry to be the anti established one here, but go ahead and have your fire. Just MAKE SURE YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT! Make it small and keep very good track of it. Im not sure what the fines are for a thing like that, but you might want to read up on that to determin whether you are willing to take the risk. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
BigStud

BigStud
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 10:49 pm 
ok, how about this question then. i moved from a pretty flat state, and haven't camped in any "higher elevation". how cold is it up around that area this time of year during the evenings. am i gonna roast during the day and freeze at night?

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 11:00 pm 
That is a possibility. If you have an illegal fire in a responsible fashion there should be no problem. It's like responsibly exceeding the speed limit by 30 MPH if your need for speed is greater than everybody elses. For a morally responsible, illegal campfire just remember to pack in a noncombustible enclosure, a flue with spark arrester, a nomex ground cloth, and all the wood you plan to burn. Other than that, you should be free to ignore the restrictions that the rest of us have to observe in good conscience.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 11:31 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
Other than that, you should be free to ignore the restrictions that the rest of us have to observe in good conscience.
Oh come on now JM. How does having a fire in the back country effect your good conscience? How does my speeding 75 in a 60 (I-90) effect your good conscience? It is very easy to be perfectly responsible for a fire and have no worries. In fact, easier than it is to speed. And way more people (including you) speed. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 27, 2004 11:49 pm 
jimmymac wrote:
Yep. No fires. Just about anyplace above 4,000 feet is off limits.
Actually, east of the crest fires are legal up to 5000'. In the Foss Lakes area campfires are prohibited regardless of elevation. That means no fires at Copper, Delta, and Otter even though they are below 4000'. As Mr. Chumley says, whether you adhere to the posted speed limit is up to you. I can't understand why fires would be prohibited at Otter, other than perhaps fire hazard - there is more than enough wood up there.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 28, 2004 12:22 am 
Look at the stars, not dancing flames, and wrap your sleeping bag around you.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 28, 2004 12:27 am 
Slugman wrote:
Look at the stars, not dancing flames, and wrap your sleeping bag around you.
Conslugcious says, jue must obey the lau. Don mis be habe. TB moon.gif moon.gif moon.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 28, 2004 12:46 am 
I'm just not a fire person, legal or not. Except giant driftwood bonfires at the beach. Those're cool.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 28, 2004 12:51 am 
Savor some fresh trout cooked via campfire and you will be converted. agree.gif