Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > campfires??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 17, 2005 4:10 am 
Jamin Smitchger wrote:
When the fire is in the middle of a boulder field or there is nothing for it to burn, there is no reason why you you cannot just let it go out instead of pouring water on it. smile.gif
i can think of one reason... what if you're wrong?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostMon Jan 17, 2005 8:28 pm 
I have never been wrong. Also, I do not think it is necessary to put a fire out if it is pouring down raining out there. I do not think anyone has ever started a forest fire without any fuel. smile.gif

WhiteJacket

WhiteJacket
PostMon Jan 31, 2005 3:49 pm 
A campfire is a luxury, not a necessity, and definitely not needed in the driest times of the year when the dangers are extreme. In forest fire season, weather is the controlling factor in the severity and frequency of fires. Dry hot weather rapidly increases the danger of wildfires. In cool damp weather there are fewer fires, and when one starts it can be brought under control more easily. Common sense? Up - to - date weather forecasts and information on the fuel and weather conditions in the forest are critical. Computer - based forest fire danger rating systems are used, which are primary fire - management decision aids that allow fire managers to assess the potential for wildfire ignition, spread and burning intensity. This information is used for making fire prevention preparedness and suppression decisions . Hourly weather observations of temperature, relative humidity, precipitation wind speed and wind direction are recorded by fully automated fire weather stations. There is much hard work done in the field and this is ongoing. I trust this system in B.C. and respect the law when the campfire bans are put in place. I have seen first hand the horrific destruction of homes, property and loss of life that these infernos can inflict. Who the heck needs a campfire when its 110 degrees out! Go elsewhere. Like I said before, it is a luxury. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a small, efficient controlled fire on a gravelly river floodplain or done right in the forest on mineral soil or resistant material in season, but the words controlled and small are key. I don't have the energy to tend to the thing and agitate a stubborn one especially when on an epic trek...there are things I enjoy more... A fire in a survival situation on the other hand, is another thread... smile.gif

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 5:51 pm 
How am I going to cook a 12 inch trout on a camp stove????? Any hints? smile.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 5:54 pm 
Remove head and tail during cleaning / gutting process. If the resulting fillet doesn't fit your pan, cut the resulting filet in half. Voila!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Damian

Damian
PostTue Feb 01, 2005 6:03 pm 
WhiteJacket wrote:
but the words controlled and small are key. smile.gif
Humbug. Large and out of control is the goal. On the beach, of course wink.gif

PostTue Feb 01, 2005 9:53 pm 
Damian wrote:
WhiteJacket wrote:
but the words controlled and small are key. smile.gif
Humbug. Large and out of control is the goal. On the beach, of course wink.gif
Or camped on a REALLY large spot at the end of the road. Snow on one end of the log. Fire on the other. Other than that, no fires for me unless I really need to have one.

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostWed Feb 02, 2005 7:12 pm 
"Remove head and tail during cleaning / gutting process. If the resulting fillet doesn't fit your pan, cut the resulting filet in half. Voila!" I have never carried a pan in the backcountry, and I doubt that I would want to filet any trout when I could be fishing. Most of my cooking I do with a Sterno and even that rarely. smile.gif

TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostFri Feb 04, 2005 11:27 pm 
How about some trout sashimi with a little wasabi & soy sauce? No fire necessary!

Odonata

Odonata
PostSat Feb 05, 2005 12:08 am 
Here's how to cook trout with just a stove. Take a trout or two like these two unfortunate ones and lay them head to tail on the tin foil. Spice them and molest them as you will. Then find a stick about 2.5 ft long and wrap the fish in foil, then wrap the foil around the stick. Seal it good. So you know have trout on a stick. Have your partner hold and rotate the stick over the flame while you pretend to make busy. It really does not take too much time. The cooker does not have to be delicate with the heat. When it gets going the foil will get all puffy and juice will bubble out of the foil seams. It is like Jiffy Pop with trout. You can eat off the foil. I have done this a handful of times.
trout on a stick
trout on a stick

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSat Feb 05, 2005 4:03 pm 
I have a better method. Build a fire, Shave the end of a green stick about 3 feet long, put the stick through the mouth of the trout and stick it the end into the meat on the tail, prop the stick up so the trout is in the heat, and leave it there for about 30 minutes. You can cook about 10-12 trout at a time this way, and you do not have to turn them. smile.gif

mtnwkr

mtnwkr
PostSun Feb 06, 2005 9:03 am 
Odonata wrote:
Here's how to cook trout with just a stove. Take a trout or two like these two unfortunate ones and lay them head to tail on the tin foil. Spice them and molest them as you will. Then find a stick about 2.5 ft long and wrap the fish in foil, then wrap the foil around the stick. Seal it good. So you know have trout on a stick. Have your partner hold and rotate the stick over the flame while you pretend to make busy. It really does not take too much time. The cooker does not have to be delicate with the heat. When it gets going the foil will get all puffy and juice will bubble out of the foil seams. It is like Jiffy Pop with trout. You can eat off the foil. I have done this a handful of times.
i have always done it the old fashoned way(like a hotdog), but this sounds better...

There's a mostly unspoken acknowledgment among the voluntarily impoverished that it's better to be fiscally poor yet rich in experience-living the dream-than to be traditionally wealthy but live separate from one's passions.
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSun Feb 06, 2005 9:25 am 
Fillet it, chop into bitesize pieces, batter it and fry. MMMMM. Or Fillet, chop, boil and dip in butter (if you have it). smile.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostSun Feb 06, 2005 3:23 pm 
I do not carry a frying pan or a stove with me when I go hiking. As a matter of fact I have never even owned one. smile.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Feb 06, 2005 3:41 pm 
Why no stove?? Explanation?? Do you eat cold? Or do you rely on campfires?

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.