Forum Index > Photography Talk > About to buy a digital camera - suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostWed Jul 28, 2004 11:32 pm 
Hi everyone, I'm looking into buying a digital camera soon and was wondering if any of you might be able to point me in the right direction. I'm new to all this stuff so if you have time to explain a bit that would be great. Here's what I want to do with the camera:
  • Take pictures of scenery, mountains (maybe panoramics)
  • Take pictures inside of caves
  • Take close ups of flowers, etc.
  • Basically take pictures of anything.
  • Print at least 8.5 x 11 high quality (4MP?)
  • Point-n-shoot but also have lots of manual options
I'm wondering what kind of shutter options I'll need for the best caving pictures. Is 15s long enough, or do I need a bulb option? What kind of flash range do I need? Should I get a camera with a hot shoe? With a camera without a hot shoe, can't you still use some kind of slave flash or something? What's needed to take pictures of stars (I know, there is a more technical word, but I don't know what it is). I'm thinking about getting 4MP or more as I want to print at least 8.5 x 11. Cameras I'm currently looking at are Canon A80, Canon s500, Canon s60, Canon G5, and Coolpix 8700. Do you have any other suggestions? Not sure if I want 8MP as that would fill up my memory and hard drive like crazy. Things I'm looking at are size, shutter speed, start-up-time, lens, flash range, voice memo, etc. Can't decide between small or large camera. I like the sivel LCDs that some cameras have for self portraits. What type of battery is best? What type of media? Where can I get good deals? Lots of options. Hard to make a decision. Prices always dropping, too. Let me know if you have any advice. Any ideas or comments welcome. Thank you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 29, 2004 12:09 am 
To do long exposures you'll probably want a DSLR like a Canon 300D (Rebel), 10D, or Nikon D100. The small sensor digicams you're looking at just aren't capable of taking long exposures without introducing a significant amount of sensor noise. The downsides of a DSLR are bulk and weight, among other things like lack of live preview. If you don't need long exposure capability you're probably better off focusing on a non-DSLR that can take good macros to meet your flower close up criteria. The new Minolta Z3 might meet that criteria with (reportedly) a 1 cm macro focus range. It's also got a 12x image stabilized optical zoom for wildlife shots. The image stabilization is also a bonus in low light situations. It's due out any time. J&R is taking pre-orders for $500. No flip out and twist LCD though. To get that you're pretty much limited to the higher end Nikon and Canon digicams. You could get a Nikon 5400 with 1 cm macro, 28mm wide angle, hot shoe, and flip out and twist LCD for about $450 at buydig.com, but the 5400 is getting dated.

trillium troll

trillium troll
PostThu Jul 29, 2004 10:39 am 
one tip: get a camera that has a viewfinder. some only have the LCD screen, and in bright sunlight you can't see a thing on that. i went with the Canon Powershot SD100, because size was my main concern, next to point&shoot picture quality. it's small and light, easily fits into any pocket, very handy on the trail. also, there is a great website that lets you compare image quality: www.imaging-resource.com - check out the comparometer dizzy.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 29, 2004 11:06 am 
Actually, if you get a flip out and twist LCD you can get around a log of the bright sunlight issues due to the maneuverability of the LCD. Granted it's not as good as a TTL viewfinder but then you don't get a viewfinder worth a darn unless you go to a DSLR. I also wouldn't bother much comparing pictures between digicams. Lots of apples and oranges there. Most digicams these days take excellent pictures. Not many lemons. The differentiation is pretty much in features, size, flexibility, zoom, etc.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostThu Jul 29, 2004 9:40 pm 
Thanks for the comments everyone. What about the Coolpix 8700 vs 5700? Do you think the 8700 is worth the extra money? Would these two do ok with long exposures? I really want to do long exposures, but then I like the idea of a smaller camera, too. Wish I could have both in one. waah.gif Thanks again.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostSat Jul 31, 2004 10:42 am 
mike wrote:
I'd go with something small and weather proof like the Olympus Stylus 400 or another on your list and go with film for time exposures until the noise problem gets fixed.
This sounds like good advice. Thanks for the help everyone. Now, how to decide between all the small digicams.... confused.gif What about add-on slave flashes for small digital cameras? Anyone had good experience with SR Electronics DSF-1s or Quantaray MS-1?

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 7:49 am 
Decided to go with the Canon A80 for 273.46 (3 day shipping included) from Mraccessory.com. Also got a 512 Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash card from ZipZoomFly.com for $69.50 after $20 rebate. Thanks for the help everyone! up.gif

walkingstick

walkingstick
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 4:08 pm 
McFarnell wrote:
Decided to go with the Canon A80 for 273.46 (3 day shipping included) from Mraccessory.com. Also got a 512 Sandisk Ultra II CompactFlash card from ZipZoomFly.com for $69.50 after $20 rebate. Thanks for the help everyone! up.gif
Sounds like an awesome deal! I'd be curious to hear if the memory works OK for you... as I almost purchsed the flash card since it was such a steal. Then I read that the type II CF cards won't work on cameras that take only type I. My older Nikon Coolpix 885 dictates type I only. bawl.gif Thoughts? -Cheers.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 4:22 pm 
Hi Walkingstick, Actually, this memory card is a 'Type I' card! I must have read this somewhere on the internet before I ordered, as the A80 only takes Type I as well. Anyway, I just received the card today, and it says right on the package, "Type I Memory Card". The price dropped to $82.00 - $20.00 rebate now, so you may want to go for it! I haven't received the camera yet, so I can't try it out. Hope it gets here by the weekend, but I doubt it.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 4:25 pm 
Walkingstick, Here's a quote from Sandisk's web site:
Quote:
SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash cards are ideal for your most demanding photo shoots, including photojournalism and event, sports, nature and fashion photography. All CF cards from SanDisk are Type I format, including SanDisk Ultra II CompactFlash cards.

walkingstick

walkingstick
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 4:33 pm 
Thanks!--I'm sure glad they don't make their products with names that could be confusing. smile.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 4:38 pm 
Yikes, be very careful with the brooklyn internet merchants. Some of them are legit but most of them will jerk you around until you buy overpriced accessories, warranty, etc. or sell you a non-USA warranty camera. A good rule of thumb is to check www.resellerratings.com for feedback. If they aren't listed there or don't have a lot of good feedback they probably aren't worth dealing with. If you want good deals on cameras or memory cards I would monitor www.techbargains.com or the forums at www.fatwallet.com.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 4:57 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yikes, be very careful with the brooklyn internet merchants.
Thanks for the warning. Hope it works out. paranoid.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 5:13 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yikes, be very careful with the brooklyn internet merchants. Some of them are legit but most of them will jerk you around until you buy overpriced accessories, warranty, etc. or sell you a non-USA warranty camera.
Heh. With a name like Mr. Accessory, they wouldn't try pushing overpriced knock off accessories, would they. wink.gif I'll echo Tom's concerns...there are some shady outfits out there, and camera outfits are one place where the slime tends to congeal. One of the better approaches to this is to buy the camera at a reputable outlet using an Amex or Chase card that has Best Value Guarantee (BVG), then to spend the $3.95 to pick up a photo mag at Safeway, find a print ad in the back from some terribly cheap and possibly less than reputable place, and send that ad in with a BVG claim to your credit card. A few weeks later, your check for the difference arrives and no ones the wiser.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 5:19 pm 
Most of the AMEX cards don't have the BVG any more and those that do have a lot of red tape to deal with. My advice, get the camera at a reputable place with a good return policy and pay the extra $20.