Forum Index > Photography Talk > About to buy a digital camera - suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 5:21 pm 
Ok, so if this store doesn't work out, where do you recommend? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 5:59 pm 
If it doesn't arrive, I would probably wait since the A80 is discontinued and in short supply driving the price up (until the A85 is released). If you can't wait I would probably get it from dell home for $299. If you check techbargains.com dell home often has a $20-30 off coupon.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 2:00 pm 
Tom wrote:
Yikes, be very careful with the brooklyn internet merchants. Some of them are legit but most of them will jerk you around until you buy overpriced accessories, warranty, etc. or sell you a non-USA warranty camera.
Hi Tom, You were right - this company fits into what that article describes. I had to call and confirm my order, and then they never did ship it. Finally they said it was out of stock. So, I've cancelled my order and am trying to figure out what/where I'm going to order next. I hope I learned something. rolleyes.gif Thanks again for the warning.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 2:16 pm 
I know this isn't the model you are looking for, but it looks very promising. One of my co-workers just ordered it. And don't worry that it's only 3.2 mp, I have plenty of 13x19 prints that look great from one of my cameras that is only 3 mp. It has a 10x opitcal zoom stabilized lens, and a swivel lcd. It is a bit more, newegg has them delivered for about 357.00 I think it would be just the ticket for you. http://www.megapixel.net/html/issueindex.php?lang=en

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 2:34 pm 
Soop, what camera are you talking about? Sounds like the Canon S1. I agree that would be a really fun camera with the image stabilized lens. Light and compact too. newegg is an ok place to buy but they don't have a very good return policy on cameras (basically you can't return them). McFarnell, it looks like you're in luck if you want the A80 for a reasonable price. Dell Home has a 10% off sale right now which means the A80 for $270 shipped. They also have a very good 30 day return policy. EDIT: looks like Dell Home may be out of stock as it says ships in 5-7 days. You could also try your local Staples and see if they have it in stock. At Staples you would have to pay 8.8% sales tax but you could use this 12% off coupon. smile.gif

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 2:58 pm 
Oops.... My link didn't work. And, yes it is the s1. I am lucky in I have never had to return anything, but I have bought 10's of k's of stuff from newegg without a single problem. They have one of the highest ratings on resellerratings.com, 9.71 lifetime out of over 6,600 reviews. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2121.html McFarnell, sorry, here is the camera I was talking about. http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/canon-s1is/s1-review.html

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 3:14 pm 
Yes, I agree newegg is very reputable. Just be aware that if something is wrong with the camera you basically have to send it to Canon for repair. For comparison you could get the S1 for $334 shipped from buy.com after $15 off coupon (per pricegrabber.com). At buy.com you get a 20 day return policy. You also get a $25 ofoto credit with the purchase.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 3:32 pm 
Tom wrote:
If it doesn't arrive, I would probably wait since the A80 is discontinued and in short supply driving the price up (until the A85 is released). If you can't wait I would probably get it from dell home for $299. If you check techbargains.com dell home often has a $20-30 off coupon.
Since the A80 is discontinued, is that a reason not to get it? Will they still make the add-on lenses? I'll look into the S1-IS. Thanks for the suggestion Sooperfly.

sooperfly

sooperfly
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 3:50 pm 
Hmmm,, buy.com seems to be slipping.. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2107.html 2.28 rating on the return/replacement slider. On the other hand, I have bought tons of stuff from buy.com over the years without a problem either. Maybe I am just lucky. Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances I guess. Whatever camera you get and whichever place you buy it, McFarnell, get out there take some pics and post them! Will be waiting for some of those fishypics.

McFarnell
Web Developer

McFarnell
Web Developer
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 4:17 pm 
Ok, decided to stick with the A80. Called up Dell, checked to see if they had it in stock, and ordered it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Aug 05, 2004 7:49 pm 
I and my buddy deal with B&H photo in new york. They've always done right by us and their prices are competitive. Camera World of Oregon has been a good place as well.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.