Forum Index > Trail Talk > 3 Brothers Die in Climbing Accident:
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 9:22 am 
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Three brothers were killed in a fall on the slopes of Mount Foraker in Denali National Park, the National Park Service said. The three were roped together when they apparently fell 2,000 feet to the 8,500-foot level of the mountain, park service officials said. It was not known what caused the accident or exactly when it occurred. The bodies of Kevin Strawn, 27, Travis Strawn, 21, and Colby Strawn, 15, were recovered Monday evening. All were from the Anchorage area. At 17,400 feet, Mount Foraker is the second-highest peak in the Alaska Range behind nearby Mount McKinley. It is less popular among climbers than McKinley and is considered difficult to climb.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 12:53 pm 
Sad
That's really sad. My best life-long friend, and hiking buddy, lost his two younger brothers (in their 30's) in the same year, last year. One of them was our hiking partner. My buddy is pretty stoic, but losing two bro's in such a short period of time has been difficult for him and his family. I can't even imagine what the family of these three young men feel like. It must be totally devasting.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 2:35 pm 
I ceratinly concur...very tragic indeed.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 4:33 pm 
God bless them. Sad but true, they died in the mountains. God bless those left alive to suffer. Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 19, 2002 5:40 pm 
Far too much tragedy. Starting to look like a year to *not* climb the bigger mountains. Will have to rethink my plans. NN frown.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.