Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cascade Pass, Sahale Arm 8.13.04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 10:51 am 
Looks nice M&S. I'll be looking forward to you TR. Maybe by the brownie and ice cream hour this evening?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 11:17 am 
Nice. Glad you guys had a good time. TB up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 3:57 pm 
Nice photos. However, I'm now slightly confused. In your second photo is that the Triplets? I thought that was Cascade Peak on the left and then to the right is part of Johannesberg. And then the Triplets would be off to the left out of the photo. Do I have The Triplets mixed up with MixUp or something? I thought the Triplets were the peaks to the center left in the third photo, SEish of Cascade Peak. confused.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 4:41 pm 
No you be right, I was Mixed-up about the Triplets and Cotlets, er.....oh nevermind. dizzy.gif Changes have been made to the caption, people sacked, and the people who hired the people have been sacked. embarassedlaugh.gif

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 5:01 pm 
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
The 33 switchbacks to the parking area below Cascade Pass
That's funny. Last time I was up there, on the way up, I kept saying to my friend "I think this is the last switchback." So on the way down we counted the switchbacks. lol.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 5:23 pm 
I got the number from the 100 Hikes book, I was thinking too much of my waiting ice cold beer to count switchbacks, besides, what if I screwed up and had to start over or something? bawl.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 5:34 pm 
Yeah that's like wanting to live WAY back in the "good old days", with inferior medicine/shorter lifespans and no ice cream except on really rare occasions! I thought while up there about the plans to build a road (highway?) across the mountains here instead of where the N. Cascades Hwy. crosses now. I bet it could have been done, and strictly on an engineering level would have been quite interesting but thank god it wasn't done. Same as plans to have built a ski resort at Monte Cristo or put a railroad across the mountains in that area. It's bad enough Hwy 20 intrudes on such beautiful country but I'm not THAT sorry I guess if it helps get me and others a manageable distance closer to it!

Nomad

Nomad
PostMon Aug 16, 2004 5:38 pm 
Good TR Mr. Squirrel. I did the hike on Thursday but never made it all the way to the Glacier. I never saw any goats either, just a big old marmot. Glad I didn’t know how many switchbacks there were. It was enough of a challenge hiking up Sahale Arm in Thursday’s heat without thinking about switchbacks.

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Aug 16, 2004 6:04 pm 
Thanks Nomad and all. It was a bit of a struggle willing myself up the final bit to the glacier. I'd never had a goat encounter like that one- very surreal. I shot a roll of slide film as they passed within feet of me- hopefully the shots come out decently- they were much closer than the later digital shots. I saw a few marmots too and a little pika I think. Atop the Arm I noticed a couple small patches of low-lying huckleberry-like plants turning red- fall is just around the corner! smile.gif

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Aug 16, 2004 11:25 pm 
Rats! I didn't see any goats when I was there. bawl.gif Good report and pictures!