Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > nwhiker grammarian, excepting applications
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 9:25 pm 
The purpose of this post is to codify and consolidate the requirements for the position of Nwhikers Grammarian, which is presently open. Length of term: The postion is a one year term, beginning January 1, ending December 31 the following year. Applications will be accepted up until November 2. If no suitable person is found, the person holding the position will serve the following year. A person may serve unlimited successive terms. Responsibilities: Check spelling and grammar of the worst offenders' posts (or of all posts, time permitting). Must know how to click spellchecker button. Grammar is to include punctuation and sentence structure, and word thriftiness in addition to the punctuation and sentence structure. Knowledge of proper emoticon usage is preferred, but not required. Prerequisites: The applicant will have completed 8 years at a primary facility of education with an average average or better. Essay: Applicant will submit an essay of 25 words or more stating why they should be selected for this esteemed position. The twenty-five words in this essay being written do not include applicants first or middle or last names, or alias or nickname or handle. Pay: $1 Benefits: Satisfaction of a job well done Conditions of Employment: You are stuck with the job. Nwhikers is an equal opportunity employer, but there are sacharin opportunities as well, for those who prefer sacharin or are allergic to equal. Worklife: Your life will mostly be work, but the recreational opportunities abound for the rest of us with more free time. The Cascades are a short drive away. The Rockies are after that, and the Applachians are after that. The Ural Mountains are to the West or East depending which way you go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Smokey

Smokey
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 9:37 pm 
Excepting ain't the right word goofball. I think you meant expectorating.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 11:23 pm 
Quote:
Essay: Applicant will submit an essay of 25 words or more stating why they should be selected for this esteemed position.
Yore add maid know cents two mi. Eye wont too no moor. Mite ewe bee aloud too sine Czechs four Homonyms to? winksmile.gif All of the internet message board grammarians are just English majors who are board, er bored, and unemployed.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 11:28 pm 
I won't be editing the apostrophe usage in my username either. They are there to stay. rant.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Aug 03, 2004 11:52 pm 
Uh, that's Quark's job. Other poe-tential grammrrainasas, STFU.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 7:28 am 
Quark is a valued grammarian and associate, and an asset to nwhikers, but our shareholders are grumbling and have pointed out that I can outsource the grammarian job to China and only have to pay $.10 annual salary (and much less benefits as well, too). Most people wont notice the diference in qality is the consensus held by the majority--more than half think this way, in fact!?.
Quote:
Yore add maid know cents two mi. Eye wont too no moor. Mite ewe bee aloud too sine Czechs four Homonyms to?
Buy awl means, apply! Ewe our are kind!
Quote:
I won't be editing the apostrophe usage in my username either. They are there to stay.
There are no rules on double apostrophe's presently. In other words, you aren't speeding, but you aren't slowing traffic down either. Simply put, Pepper, you are not the dangerous outlaw you think you are.
Quote:
Uh, that's Quark's job.
While grammatically correct, this sentence exhibits poor form in the usage of apostrophes in two successive words. You might want to apply for the position of Subbookkeeper to the Grammarian, which will be opening soon.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Aug 04, 2004 8:12 am 
marylou wrote:
Uh, that's Quark's job. Other poe-tential grammrrainasas, STFU.
Naw, I quit that job a while ago on some other random thread that has nothing to do with anything. Oh, like anything ever does, right? Incorrect grammar now rolls offa me like water off a back's duck.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
touron

touron
PostThu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 pm 
Applicants who cannot furnish their own comma shaker need not apply.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
veronika

veronika
PostThu Apr 12, 2012 10:56 pm 
Quark wrote:
Incorrect grammar now rolls offa me like water off a back's duck.
You misspelled "water off a" It should be "water offa". Or, is it mispelledd? mispeled? I am surprised nobody caught that for 8 years! Lol.... embarassedlaugh.gif

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
veronika

veronika
PostThu Apr 12, 2012 11:01 pm 
DAMN!!!!! 8 YEARS!!!! Just dawned on me... donned?

Take risks not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping I may not have anyone rocking my world right now but, I don't have anyone messing it up either.
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostThu Apr 12, 2012 11:15 pm 
polarbear wrote:
The Ural Mountains are to the West or East depending which way you go.
Ural Mountains... I have relatives living there... been there once... South Ural mountains I remember mountains of coal... Do you need someone to check russian spelling? hmmm.gif

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
half fast

half fast
PostThu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 pm 
Hear is my intry fee...
Now I jest gotta thank of twentyfive wurds... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
veronika

veronika
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 12:21 am 
winksmile.gif

trestle

trestle
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 5:37 am 
moon.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
polarbear

polarbear
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 7:17 am 
SergioNapelo wrote:
Ural Mountains... I have relatives living there... been there once... South Ural mountains I remember mountains of coal... Do you need someone to check russian spelling? hmmm.gif
Russian spelling needs to be checked more than any other spelling. Indeed, russian is one of the prime reasons that people spell wrong in the first place. So, peopl,e SLOW DOWN! And you will spell bet ter quicker. This site, nwhikers, also hsa a spell check. If you are serching for it, please note that it is spelled "SpellCheck", e.i. one word with a capitol letter C (like congress) in the middle of it. Click that button and your post will soon be flaless.