Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > nwhiker grammarian, excepting applications
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JennieEl

JennieEl
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 9:42 am 
Spill chuckers are grate for chucking spoils. But they don't no grammar nor punctuation. Witch applications are being excepted out of the ones being accepted?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
half fast

half fast
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 am 
JennieEl wrote:
...Witch applications are being excepted out of the ones being accepted?
You hav two pay yur 1 buck first... then you git a pm with all the excepted apps being accepted.... It must be some kin to a govurmint job... dizzy.gif rotf.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
JennieEl

JennieEl
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 am 
Don't got no bucks. Don't wanna get the job nohow...less I get to wack people wither ruler four foweling up they're posts.

cartman

cartman
PostFri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Quote:
Uh, that's Quark's job.
While grammatically correct, this sentence exhibits poor form in the usage of apostrophes in two successive words.
Buckin' for the job, are ya? Kinda like winnin' yer own lottery. 'Cept this would sorta be the anti-lottery (how d'ya like them 'postrophes, Sparky?)

touron

touron
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 6:51 am 
Is it "the big red apple" or "the red big apple"? The Secret Rules of Adjective Order No wonder the position for nwhiker grammarian has yet to be filled.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 12:36 pm 
polarbear wrote:
The twenty-five words in this essay being written do not include applicants first or middle or last names, or alias or nickname or handle.[/i] Nwhikers is an equal opportunity employer, but there are sacharin opportunities as well, for those who prefer sacharin or are allergic to equal.
correct spelling is "applicant's", "saccharine" (adj.), and "saccharin" (noun). Comma after "alias" and "nickname". --------- I am a skilled ediotr. My underwear is too tight. Pointing out trivial faults in others assuages my fundamental insecurity. Is that good enough? ----------

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
graffiti

graffiti
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 12:53 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Prerequisites: The applicant will have completed 8 years at a primary facility of education with an average average or better.
You used "average" twice in that sentence. Do I win?

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 12:59 pm 
The first was an adjective; the second a noun. It don't count.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 4:27 pm 
touron wrote:
Is it "the big red apple" or "the red big apple"? The Secret Rules of Adjective Order
Touron, this is a fascinating article; though I had to come up for air about 2/3 the way through it. Thanks! ~z Quote: But what about modifiers that sound good in one order and bad in another, even if they convey the same meaning both ways? Though red big barns and big red barns are semantically identical, the second kind pleases our ears more. These tricky situations—neither pure correlation nor accumulation—generally occur when you cross the border between adjectival regions, such as size and color. When that happens, an invisible code snaps into place, and the eight categories shimmy into one magistral conga line: general opinion then specific opinion then size then shape then age then color then provenance then material. and this: In physics, things have a gravitational pull, attracting other things—why not in language too?

touron

touron
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 6:32 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Is that good enough? ----------
It is good enough, and I would incourage you to apply, but you will also need some references if you want to land this job! And by references, I don't mean a dictionary, thesaurus, etc. As I understand it, the grammarian is a 24X7 position, i.e. constant vigilance, and you need to pounce on grammatical errors ASEP! You can't let bad grammar slip by at any time of the day and then have it quoted and repeated adnausum until it snowballs out of control and is soon eating away, like a heard of eating termites, at the very fabric and foundation of our language. Nope. agree.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
touron

touron
PostFri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 pm 
zephyr wrote:
and this: In physics, things have a gravitational pull, attracting other things—why not in language too?
There is probably a deep interrelatedness between word and world. The spelling is virtually identical, but for one letter, a letter which is actually the simplest letter in the whole alphabet to write. In fact the "l" could have been an accidental slip of the pen, in which case both words would be the same word, "word". I just wish that adjective was spelled ajetive like everyone knows it should be. More spelling B's would be won and less contestants would lose.

FailsToMeetExpectations

FailsToMeetExpectations
PostSat Aug 09, 2014 6:18 pm 
The board is one long thread Sort of like the PCT tread But the posters need some help Or risk turning it into Yelp

wolffie

wolffie
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 12:04 am 
touron wrote:
wolffie wrote:
It is good enough, [It is -- deliberately -- only a 24-word essay!] and I would incourage [encourage] you to apply, but you will also need some references if you want to land this job! And by references, I don't mean a dictionary, thesaurus, etc. As I understand it, the grammarian is a 24X7 position, i.e. constant vigilance, and you need to pounce on grammatical errors ASEP! [ASAP] You can't let bad grammar slip by at any time of the day and then have it quoted and repeated adnausum [ad nauseum] until it snowballs out of control and is soon eating away, like a heard [herd] of eating termites, at the very fabric and foundation of our language. Nope. agree.gif
[b][...eating away at the foundation of our society like a colony of termites...] flows better. Termites don't come in herds. "fabric and foundation" is both redundant and a mixed metaphor. The word "very" is a useless amplifier. "eating" is redundant. "snowballs... termites" another mixedmetaphor. [/b] Do I get the job? Are celebrity, women, designer drugs, and eventual moral dissipation involved? And PLEASE, you must begin accepting applications.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSun Aug 10, 2014 8:15 am 

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
touron

touron
PostTue Aug 12, 2014 7:02 pm 
wolffie wrote:
touron wrote:
wolffie wrote:
It is good enough, [It is -- deliberately -- only a 24-word essay!] and I would incourage [encourage] you to apply, but you will also need some references if you want to land this job! And by references, I don't mean a dictionary, thesaurus, etc. As I understand it, the grammarian is a 24X7 position, i.e. constant vigilance, and you need to pounce on grammatical errors ASEP! [ASAP] You can't let bad grammar slip by at any time of the day and then have it quoted and repeated adnausum [ad nauseum] until it snowballs out of control and is soon eating away, like a heard [herd] of eating termites, at the very fabric and foundation of our language. Nope. agree.gif
[b][...eating away at the foundation of our society like a colony of termites...] flows better. Termites don't come in herds. "fabric and foundation" is both redundant and a mixed metaphor. The word "very" is a useless amplifier. "eating" is redundant. "snowballs... termites" another mixedmetaphor. [/b].
First of all, all great writers of English prose, well known poets, and famous playwrites, like Bill Shakespeare and myself, often would create their own words. Hence, I create a new word like incourage, and I can already see that it is met with some resistance and raising the hackles of would be grammarians everywhere, and yet mark my words, in five years everyone will be using incourage and it will be in the next Scrabble dictionary.
Quote:
Do I get the job? Are celebrity, women, designer drugs, and eventual moral dissipation involved? And PLEASE, you must begin accepting applications.
I called up our hiring manager and we were able to pull him away from the baccarat table long enough to read your application...and the verdict...is....
We can hire you, but unfortunately not for the chief grammarian position frown.gif . wolffie, while your Enlish is good, it really needs to be impeccable to meet our high standards. Your grammar is fairly well and good (don't stop studying), and it will improve like good wine (though wine only has to sit to improve, not study dilegintly). However, we are offering you the esteamed position of Apprentice Proofreader. Basically you proofread all of the posts and report your findings to the nwhiker Grammarian. The salary is satisfaction of a job well done, and may vary depending on how well you do your job. This is a 24x7 position--if you are not already working, then you are falling behind! Chop! Chop!