Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skyline trail , Reflection lakes, and other delights.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
aestivate

aestivate
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 9:57 pm 
Some of those are nice. What's your equipment? The wide angle and aspect ratio suggests medium format. Unless it's some digital thing I'm not up on. I suspect the use of a ND grad filter in a couple. I Never did like that look. The natural world is not divided into a light foreground, a dark band in middle distance, and a medium background.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 10:04 pm 
As stated before, all current images were created with a canon 35mm system, I am acquiring a medium format system here in the following few days. The different levels of light in some of the shots, did require a neutral density filter, it can create the dark band in some circumstances, but it is better than having a gross under or over exposure, and in some cases I find the affect the filter has to be appealing. Thanks for the comments.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 10:21 pm 
Some nice shots Trevor. Don't really know what's up the other fella's butt- critizing someone's posted photos shows me a lack of class. First asks you what equipment you use then criticizes some of the shots! Boor. Trevor you handled that well, happy shooting. up.gif

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 10:24 pm 
I think there freagan awesome. I am actually pretty jealous of your ability Trevor. I really enjoy looking at your photos. up.gif

Trevor

Trevor
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 10:34 pm 
Yes, I try to be as kind as possible to everyone, and for some odd reason I feel as if people resent me. My main objective was just to share with you guys the photos of the scenery I witnessed that corresponds with the TR, and hope you might enjoy it, I never intended to enrage people.I am now pretty reluctant to post on here, because of these occurrences. But thank you M&S and loggerman for the comments, and thanks to all other viewers of this post.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 10:52 pm 
I'm sorry to hear if you've had other occurences like that one, a shame. Keep posting trips and photos. You know, I can understand getting critiques or points of view about your photos on a photo site you post on like photonet.com, since by and large that's what you are after when submitting photos there, but I don't think it's polite to say something negative about someone's (trip) photos unless asked to do so by the photographer!

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 11:21 pm 
haha, great trip report, you seem to have my style of trip reporting. Altho mine includes more negative sarcasm usually... it gets everyone going. It'd be fun to hike with you... we could swap sarcastic comments the whole way... altho i'm sure you'd get tired of my complaining eventually.... unless the hike wasn't half bad... then I wouldn't complain. wink.gif

seattlechronic

seattlechronic
PostSat Aug 14, 2004 11:54 pm 
Images..
These are great images...Of course I can see that you used filters but who cares...There is always the tech people who will call you on your Equipment and the Purists the will call you on filter use...I say who Gives a @3#%...As Long as your having a good time and making Images whos gives a Rats ASs.. Have fun with the new Med Format...LF is a good option too...Nothing Like a Large Format Slide... Thanks for the Great Images!!! ERic http://www.floydphotography.com

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 9:04 am 
TrevorA wrote:
The weather granted to us was lovely. It was a great day to get out and share nature with fellow hiking enthusiasts. Much thanks to the almighty for presenting me with such things.
Bingo. You nailed it. Trevor, I hope you keep on appreciating and exploring all that's out there. I sure appreciate all the observations and images you haul back home to this site. Keep it up.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
aestivate

aestivate
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 11:21 am 
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
Some nice shots Trevor. Don't really know what's up the other fella's butt- critizing someone's posted photos shows me a lack of class. First asks you what equipment you use then criticizes some of the shots! Boor. Trevor you handled that well, happy shooting. up.gif
Actually, think of it as a critique. Most of what's posted on this site is snapshots, and as such does not really merit criticism. These pictures were taken by someone who is putting a lot of effort into taking nice shots with good equipment, and using a tripod. It's different. And as a critique, this statement about the ND grad look is perfectly appropriate. Grad shots only work for me, and for many people, if you can't tell a grad is being used. It's like makeup, only effective if subtly done so as not be be noticeable on casual inspection. Shot #4, which either didn't use a grad or used it in such a way that you can't notice it, and #5 (rainier with the field of lupine(?) and anemone occidentalis(?)) , which definitely didn't use a grad, are to my eye the nicest shots. Another technical matter, I am curious about how these were scanned, assuming that they were slide film. How did you get these shots scanned?

Karen

Karen
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 12:44 pm 
Trevor, Please don't stop posting your photos. I enjoy and appreciate them immensely. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 4:13 pm 
I like the fifth shot best with the mountain and the field of flowers. I think your photos are quite good. I enjoy reading yoru trip reports as well Trevor, I get a kick out of your writing style.
Quote:
Actually, think of it as a critique. Most of what's posted on this site is snapshots, and as such does not really merit criticism. These pictures were taken by someone who is putting a lot of effort into taking nice shots with good equipment, and using a tripod. It's different. And as a critique, this statement about the ND grad look is perfectly appropriate. Grad shots only work for me, and for many people, if you can't tell a grad is being used.
PRetty sure his thread is a trip report rather than an invitation to critique his shots. My guess is that he would have posted the photos in the photo forum, or Fredmiranda et al, if he wanted advice. That sort of thing if done unsolicited is probably done better anyway through a personal message. Regardless, saying that some of his photos are nice, which read to me from the tone as an implied comment that some aren't really very nice at all, along with saying that you dislike the style he is using seems like something that could have been phrased more tactfully.

Trevor

Trevor
PostSun Aug 15, 2004 8:48 pm 
Much thanks for all of the motivating comments. As far as the photos are concerned, I am not bothered by the contrast of darks and lights. In my view, the different tonalities actually accentuate the overall mood of the photo ,as opposed to just having a fluent light level. During the day I go for even exposures, but the evening allows me to be a bit more creative. After hiking for miles, waiting patiently for the evening to arrive ,and going through extensive set-ups for each exposure, I am certainly not willing to discard a photo that I appreciate, solely because it has an evident area of darkness. I have created these images foremost for my appeal, and if I appreciate them and enjoyed exposing for them, that is really all that matters. And if I didn't relish shooting and all of the results it entails, I am sure a free hobby like rock stacking could accomodate me for the price. I can appreciate your opinions regarding photography. To me photography is basically an artistic capture of a moment, like a painting, it doesn't necessarily have to precisely duplicate what was seen to convey a theme. With the advanced state of cameras and film, one is already exaggerating the natural state of the scene with extra resolution,saturation ,and such. Through our lifespan we are given very enjoyable moments, and any image is incapable of replicating the magnitude of joy felt while witnessing a scene, we can only hope that it vaguely reminds us of the joy we felt during that instance and keeps us yearning to get out and explore the rest of the vast world that has been endowed to us. All slides were scanned with the dimage scan dual 4.For $300.00, it is the best bang for the buck.