Forum Index > Trip Reports > Square lake Via Deception lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 7:16 pm 
My cousin Kerry and I left the truck at the end of the Tonga Ridge road at 0930 Tuesday morning. The trail down to the deception creek trail goes through clearcut. Once on the Deception creek trail you can make good time to the PCT connector. We arrived at Deception lakes around noon. After lunch and some rest we headed around the horse camp trail to the camp itself. From there you have to pick your route up the ridge. We went to the right (west) and up from there. We ran into a small lake on the way. This lake has no name. From there we climbed up to the ridge line. We found ourselves above another no name lake. We decided not to go down there. We ran the ridge (north) until we came to the proper saddle to descent to Square lake. Once at the lake we rafted over to the outlet. I was there ten years ago and the cabin was still there. Alas it has been torn down and the logs cut up and spewn on the other side of the man made damn which is now the outlet. While there I learned something interesting. After looking around I found the spillway actuator and the secondary (read man made) spillway used to drain the lake. I decided that when Tom was in there last year and the lake was so low that someone used that mehcanism to drain the lake to the point that they could repair the outlet dam! I'll post some pictures of it. The next day we decided go up to Wolverine and to raft the lake to the inlet area. After the hour long raft we arrived at the in tlet to find two nice camps. We had lunch and then hiked up to that no name lake which drains into Square. An hour there and it was back to the lake and a raft back to the outlet. Kerry decided to fish and I went swimming. I cleared out the spillway of debree and sat there in my own cold jacuzzi. We got up and left the next day. The trip out was uneventful. The weather was great the whole time. A great trip. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 8:26 pm 
You should really add that one of you in the hot tub to the avatar rotation.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods

PostThu Aug 12, 2004 9:12 pm 
Gee Tom, I never figured you for a bubble bath guy. lol.gif That picture is truly awesome. up.gif

mgd

mgd
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 9:17 pm 
Yeah, it should be in an Irish Spring commercial or something...

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 9:34 pm 
Thanks everybody. Im not proud. I can look like a fool with the best of them! It sure was fun up there in that heat. TB doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostThu Aug 12, 2004 9:35 pm 
You don't look like fool at all. You look happy. up.gif

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 9:41 pm 
ditto.gif What a great trip! It's nice to see a guy having a full-out good time. Does the outlet hardware look to be operable?

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Aug 12, 2004 10:19 pm 
The unnamed lakes you mention in your trip report do have names. The one above the Deceptions is called Butterfly Lake. The one above Square, in the photo, is called Clear Lake.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 13, 2004 12:16 am 
Tuesday??? TUESDAY??? Work schmerk, YOU WUSSED OUT ON ME! eek.gif rant.gif You suck. moon.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 13, 2004 7:28 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
The unnamed lakes you mention in your trip report do have names. The one above the Deceptions is called Butterfly Lake. The one above Square, in the photo, is called Clear Lake.
Thank you Brian. TB

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 13, 2004 7:30 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Tuesday??? TUESDAY??? Work schmerk, YOU WUSSED OUT ON ME! eek.gif rant.gif You suck. moon.gif
SF, I had this square lake trip planned with my cousin for the whole summer. He had specific vacation time that couldnt be changed. Im sorry about the Berdeen/Green trip, but I am going into work all next week. And I do bloody well need the money. TB waah.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 13, 2004 7:42 am 
jimmymac wrote:
ditto.gif What a great trip! It's nice to see a guy having a full-out good time. Does the outlet hardware look to be operable?
You can turn (although not far because of the locks) the gears by hand!!! Yes it is my belief that they purposely drained the lake last year to work on the damn AND to build THIS helipad! TB

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri Aug 13, 2004 8:15 am 
I was just up at Deception Lakes, did you take the picture from the east side of the lake? Ice Girl

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 13, 2004 1:21 pm 
Backpacker (Joe) Chumley wrote:
SF, I had this square lake trip planned with my cousin for the whole summer. He had specific vacation time that couldnt be changed.
I figured as much, but still... vent.gif hockeygrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 16, 2004 10:23 am 
Wow, what a difference from last year. How low was the other spillway? Enough to drain the lake 20-30'?