Forum Index > Food & Grub > stoveless
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikergal

hikergal
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 9:21 am 
The little slim jims are good, also, as they're individually wrapped. Don't most of the salamies and summer sausages have to be refrigerated? I do like bringing string cheese for trips, too. What I have also found for lunch is the tuna that comes in packets instead of cans. And the snack pack puddings are great for dessert!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 9:25 am 
How bout those Zataran's pre-cooked dishes with some tortillas and cheese? I love to cook so going without a stove isn't even an option for me! And I need my coffee in the morning too!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 10:08 am 
Overnight trip....maybee no stove or just a few fuel tablets, but more than that ? Please...the stove and fuel weight is only 8-10ounces for both. interesting thought on no stove though..........I thought of just the fuel tabs .

hikergal

hikergal
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 2:47 pm 
dicentra wrote:
How bout those Zataran's pre-cooked dishes with some tortillas and cheese? Not familiar with Zateran's dishes; just now I gotta watch the weight! I love to cook so going without a stove isn't even an option for me! And I need my coffee in the morning too!
Ditto!

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Aug 25, 2004 3:16 pm 
hikergal wrote:
The little slim jims are good, also, as they're individually wrapped. Don't most of the salamies and summer sausages have to be refrigerated? I do like bringing string cheese for trips, too. What I have also found for lunch is the tuna that comes in packets instead of cans. And the snack pack puddings are great for dessert!
generally speaking, cured meats can go without refrigeration for quite a while.. of course it's impossible to say exactly how long they will last at a given temperature however.......... fwiw, my favorite summer sausage comes from dan the sausageman, it's very good and has a lot less fat than the stuff that comes from the supermarket. i've carried chunks of it for over a week without refrigeration in 70-80 degree heat and i've never had problems with it. the only downside is that they don't offer the 10oz sizes anymore....

hikergal

hikergal
PostThu Aug 26, 2004 9:11 am 
marzsit wrote:
hikergal wrote:
generally speaking, cured meats can go without refrigeration for quite a while.. of course it's impossible to say exactly how long they will last at a given temperature however.......... fwiw, my favorite summer sausage comes from dan the sausageman, it's very good and has a lot less fat than the stuff that comes from the supermarket. i've carried chunks of it for over a week without refrigeration in 70-80 degree heat and i've never had problems with it. the only downside is that they don't offer the 10oz sizes anymore....

hikergal

hikergal
PostThu Aug 26, 2004 9:13 am 
generally speaking, cured meats can go without refrigeration for quite a while.. of course it's impossible to say exactly how long they will last at a given temperature however.......... fwiw, my favorite summer sausage comes from dan the sausageman, it's very good and has a lot less fat than the stuff that comes from the supermarket. i've carried chunks of it for over a week without refrigeration in 70-80 degree heat and i've never had problems with it. the only downside is that they don't offer the 10oz sizes anymore....[/quote] Hmmm, pretty pricey there, pardner. Anyway, please be cautious with the meats; you cannot see bacteria!

Bob K

Bob K
PostFri Aug 27, 2004 8:07 pm 
Tahoe National Forest has imposed a ban on stoves that will effectively apply to all backpackers. They are asking people to submit "no cook" recipes, but so far all they have on their homepage (towards the bottom) are 3 recipes for chicken salad -- Chinese Chicken Salad, Curried Chicken Salad and Mediterranean Chicken Salad -- that look like they were quickly put together by some employee. -