Forum Index > Trip Reports > Comet falls, Van Trump park 08/14/04
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
umphtydunkie

umphtydunkie
PostMon Aug 16, 2004 8:08 am 
I've been around this forum for a few months now, but this would be my first post. In leaving the Tacoma area, the day appeared to look good weather-wise, however, that changed as we neared the Nisqually entrance to Mt Rainier park huh.gif . It was only overcast with just a few drops of rain here and there (hardly even worth mentioning). The trail was fairly eroded in spots with rocks and roots threatening to trip a person like me who likes to look at everything but where he's going, indicating that on most days, this trail probably gets used quite heavily. This day traffic was moderate. After the second crossing of the river, I figured I had about 0.5 mile before arriving at Comet Falls. I went only a few feet into the forest and there was the falls staring right back at me eek.gif ! The falls were amazing with approximately a 360 foot wall of water. I walked right up to the base of the falls for the full experience. Don't go too close to the base unless you are prepared to get a bit wet. The water hitting the rocks below cause quite a mist that drenches everything near it (would be wonderful on a sunny hot day). I then continued up to Van Trump Park. It isn't as cool as the falls, but still neat. The mountain sits straight in front of you, and there are lots of little places to hide out within the park; even on a moderately busy day like the day I went. The chipmunks were a little overly friendly though. One climbed up my back looking for food! One final note: the parking lot is not very large, and fills up fast. I'd highly recommend bringing a smaller car and arriving early. Here are some photos (sorry that the quality is so low, I wasn't sure what would be allowed so I played it safe, and yes I've now read the attachment guidelines, so I know now wink.gif ):
Comet Falls
Comet Falls
Mt St Helens from Van Trump Park
Mt St Helens from Van Trump Park
Part of Van Trump Park
Part of Van Trump Park

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostMon Aug 16, 2004 8:53 am 
Thanks for contributing your TR, and welcome!

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message