Forum Index > Food & Grub > Yummy light hot food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ihikebighills

ihikebighills
PostTue Aug 17, 2004 11:03 pm 
Tom wrote:
Why do you need a nalgene to retain boiling water?
Cuz I don't have a cup. bawl.gif Thanks jenjen, that's the kind of info I was hoping for. up.gif FYI, Twinkies don't freeze, even at 10 degrees (or so). I figured the folks here would be very happy to know this. moon.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Miles

Miles
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 12:22 am 
My diet usually consists of jerky of some sort, trail mix, Clif Bars,and dehydrated meals. I personally cannot bring myself to do anymore cooking than boiling the water in the backcountry. Cooking is what I do for a living so when I'm out in the sticks I like quick and easy. I must admit that it was hard to get used to eating dehydrated meals. A few years ago they didn't taste very good, but they've come a long way in my opinion, and Backpackers Pantry has some pretty good meals out there. I justify the extra cost to myself by the fact that I dont have to cook, I work in a very busy downtown resturaunt, so any day I don't have to cook is a good one. Miles

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 12:27 am 
Are you a good cook? I'll take some food... anytime...

Vidalia

Vidalia
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:13 am 
My trail standards are: 1. Ramen noodles without the seasoning packet (way too much sodium). Add package of dried Spring Vegetable Knorr Soup mix, 1-2 oz. olive oil, water and simmer 5 minutes. Ummm 2. Pesto or pesto paste, wheat linguini 1-2 oz olive oil. 3. THE BEST BY FAR!!! When you are hiking in cool weather and will be building a fire..... Take a 3/4 pound skin-on filet of the best salmon you can afford. (about 1 inch thick) Make an aluminun foil boat about 4 layers thick. Place the salmon in the boat, coat with olive oil and lemon juice and a little dry white wine. Place a few sprigs of fresh dill around the fillet. Cover the fillet with about 10 spears of fresh asparagus then a portabella mushroom or two. Wrap the boat and contents in aluminum foil so the package is completely sealed and there are at least 3 layers of foil surrounding all areas. Crimp the edges well so nothing leaks out. Place the boat in a heavy duty zip-lock freezer bag and then in the freezer if the weather is a little warm. When you set up camp for the night and are building your fire pick out a flat rock about 2-3 inches thick and a little larger than the package. Place the rock in the center of the fire. After about an hour the rock will be red hot. Pull the rock over to the side so you can get to it. Try to get the surface as level as you can (not big deal). Place the salmon package (skin side down) on the rock. If the salmon is an inch thick leave the package there for 12-13 minutes. The package will begin to bloat as the moisture inside begins to boil. After 12-13 minutes remove the package and slit open the top to reveal a perfectly poached salmon with steamed asparagus and portabella mushrooms! Clean up is easy, just roll up the aluminum foil and put it back in the zip-lock, wipe off your fork and relax! I have cooked this meal over a hundred times and have always been amazed at the outcome. It is some work and is not all that light but what a treat for yourself after a long hike in to a campsite. I usually try and bring a GAZ container of white burgundy to accompany the meal along with a good french baguette and some dark chocolate for dessert. A true feast made all the better by the environment! up.gif up.gif

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
ihikebighills

ihikebighills
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 8:52 am 
Sounds good, but I won't be doing much cooking over a fire in the mountains...and finding flat rocks is tough in winter! wink.gif

ihikelight

ihikelight
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 9:05 am 
ihikebighills wrote:
I typically bring two ramen instant lunch things (the noodles in styrofoam)
ihikebighills wrote:
Tom wrote:
Why do you need a nalgene to retain boiling water?
Cuz I don't have a cup. bawl.gif
I must be missing something. hmmm.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 9:06 am 
Yeah, ya lost me there. I bring a pot to boil water and sometimes a Cool Whip container if I need a bowl.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 9:09 am 
If all a person needs is boiled water, a Ti cup or a Primus or Evernew tea kettle will work just great smile.gif I carry a Primus kettle and a cup to sip out of (also is my measuring cup). Of course, this works for me as I don't "cook", I eat out of freezer Ziplocs.....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 9:31 am 
Kettle-shaped pots are widely considered to be less efficient than the traditional shape of cookpot. I have a Titan Kettle, and frankly I can't stand it. Maybe one of these days I oughtta do a little test on the performance question.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 9:47 am 
Hmmmm...with my Primus Kettle I can boil about 3 cups water on my Primus stove in 3 1/2 minutes or less-even at 6,000 ft. The Primus kettle is a flat kettle, with very little on the sides. And yes, it is a worthy tech question to try out.

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 10:16 am 
I am living proof that a man can survive off of Top Ramen and beer. I did that for a good 2 years of my life. 2 packs of top ramen, drain the water, add alittle butter , the seasoning, grab a Hamms out of the fridge. mmmmmmmmmm up.gif

touron

touron
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 10:32 am 
Yes, but at some point you became Sexy Suzy The Loggeress. I would add a few vegetables and a slice of pizza now and then to the diet, or maybe King Ludwig's meat platter.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Nomad

Nomad
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 11:51 am 
Both tuna and salmon have been mentioned (in the yummy and stoveless threads). I don’t think I’m overly paranoid about bears but I have avoided things that I think they may find exceptionally appealing. Does anyone else share this concern or am I being overly paranoid?

"Of all the fire mountains which, like beacons, once blazed along the Pacific Coast, Mount Rainier is the noblest." - John Muir "If the path be beautiful, let us not ask where it leads." - Anatole France
Vidalia

Vidalia
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 12:16 pm 
Nomad wrote:
Both tuna and salmon have been mentioned (in the yummy and stoveless threads). I don’t think I’m overly paranoid about bears but I have avoided things that I think they may find exceptionally appealing. Does anyone else share this concern or am I being overly paranoid?
Anything smelly can attract bears, mice, porcupines, racoons, skunks, etc. etc. Standard care usually works to mitigate this problem. Don't get food on your clothes, cook away from your tent site, burn or seal trash in zip-locks, wash containers away from tent site, etc. Bears are something to consider but I have seen much more damage from mice than bears.

The most difficult thing in life is making a decision to do something..... the rest is only mechanics!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 12:21 pm 
The new shrimp in bags is very, very good btw! As for animals...well, this I found funny: one of our cats got into Wrongbridges caches (they were at my house) for our Wonderland trip, and sniffed out the tuna pouches....lol! Nothing else was touched!