Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > "I was here first" elitism in NW Washington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Shadwell

Shadwell
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 5:33 pm 
I just wanted to get some input and maybe some clarification from the natives, but it seems to me that there's a very unwelcoming attitude toward people who are looking to relocate to Washington and in particular the Bellingham area. Now, I have nothing but glowing things to say about the people I've met in the backcountry when I let them know where I'm from. In fact, they really enjoy hearing about the differences. But I do sense a genuine distaste about newcomers or people relocating to the area. The majority of acquaintances I've made in the area are native Washingtonians, but still seem to spout some strong language about "growth." In particular I'm referring to organizations like www.pro-whatcom.org which I get the feeling are trying to make it increasingly difficult and expensive to move to the area. I'm genuinely interested in hearing your thoughts...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 5:49 pm 
I'm a native and wouldn't presume to try and stop anyone from moving here, but I do get tired of people from out of state moving here to escape from somewhere they don't like anymore and bringing their attitude with them. No, the shopping probably isn't like it is in CA. If that's your complaint, what are you doing here? No, the people don't drive like the experts in NY. And I'm glad. When I grew up around here, people were polite to a fault. No red light running, no mouthing off, no flipping off cars, no honking. You mind your own buisness and be polite. This was the Seattle that shaped me. I can often tell a native without asking because of their demeanor. Now, I don't even recognize it, and it's not because of externalities like a new tower here or a housing development there. It's because of the mental attitude that now prevails bringing those wonderful "world class" city attitudes from Chicago, NY, and SoCal, here to our city. Yes, it may be nicer for them when they get here, but for many natives it's resulted in something not so nice. There's nothing that can be done about it, it's just what happens when people from fast paced rude places move to slower ones to escape, they generally bring at least some of their attitude with them, and some bring a lot more than a little and they are by far the least pleasant to be around. For me, I welcome you here wholeheartedly. As well as the people from the places I care for less than zero, because after all they're just people even if I'm ragging on them a little, and I can't blame them for wanting to be here, because I think it's the best place on earth. But it doesn't mean I have to like seeing my small town seattle pretty much obliterated by big city attitude.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Lagerman
UnAdvanced User

Lagerman
UnAdvanced User
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 5:53 pm 
I think everyone should move to Washington....just stay away out of Oregon biggrin.gif I would normally throw out a bunch of Seattle people sterotypes here, but MCaver gives me a dirty look everytime I do that. frown.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 5:56 pm 
Oh, don't listen to him, he's from Texas, anyhow he doesn't even live in Seattle.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:06 pm 
I'm glad so many have moved to Lake Stevens. Since the developers have cut down the trees and installed houses around the lake, I can finally see it. Course, the houses kinda detract from the view, but what the heck. It is sad that with the new comers that land is being developed at such a fast pace. The trails and camps of my youth are long gone. What was once rural is now the suburbs. But that was then and this is now. Remember *Don't Caliphukinfornicate Washington*? If you move here to get away from it, please don't bring it here or expect to have it. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:10 pm 
I'm not a native, but you can come live in Tacoma. When I moved here 7 years ago I didn't feel un-welcome at all. Never have felt un-welcome. The north sound isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Markus

Markus
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:25 pm 
I grew up in Eastern Washington and I don't remember any of that attitude. I live in Missoula, MT for about 4 years and there was a big time "stupid people from Washington and California filling up our state" thing going on over there. That being said, I absolutely loved living there. Since I've moved to the Wenatchee area I do here more than the occasional "another Microsoft retirement home" complaint whenever a big house is being built near a lake, peak, or river. I would venture a guess that it's the same in most places... people like to keep the good places to themselves instead of risk having them over crowded... much like not revealing that special trail or lake... grrr!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:31 pm 
I'm surprised there's that kind of attitude in Bellingham, especially since it's a college town. I understand the reasons they want to hault expansion, but I don't really see that as necessitating hostitity towards out-of-staters.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:32 pm 
Shadwell, your forgot to list your phone number and address so we can add you to our database. Just kidding. clown.gif Here is a theory of mine, developed in the last 30 seconds (15 seconds brain activity, 15 seconds google search), so take it for what it's worth. First, there is a bit of a native vs. non-native attitude in Western Washington, but in parts, that is diminishing. My theory, though, is that in certain parts (like Bellingham), it is growing. Why? Seattle is changing. South Seattle, where I live has such a massive variety in ethnic culture at this point, that there are few if any left that still dislike non-natives. Many of the residents are non-native themselves, and not from California. They are Somalians, Mexicans, Laotians, Thai, Russians, Croatians....an incredible diversity of people, many of them refugees. Note that this cultural influx has added much vibrancy to the whole city. I was talking with a person a few months ago and was surprised to find that he played in a local Argentian soccer league. Argentinian! It blew me away. I knew there was a Mexican league, but not that there was a small league of Argentinian players here. In the meantime, I think many Seattlelites have migrated to Bellingham because of the lower cost of housing, and the smallertowness of the Bellingham (two instances I know of acquaintances moving from Seattle to Bellingham were for these exact reasons). These people probably don't want to see Bellingham become like California. The ironic thing is that these people are probably recent Seattle-Bellingham transplants. Let's look at the Bellingham census data:
census link Wow! Bellingham population nearly tripled since 1960 and growing at a faster rate since 1990. People are seeking their own utopia, and they aren't going to want it to change once they are there with more people moving in! What else is new! So the good news is the people criticizing you have probably lived there themselves only a small part of their life. Anyhow, that's my theory.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 6:37 pm 
Quote:
If you move here to get away from it, please don't bring it here or expect to have it.
Amen to that. up.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Aug 18, 2004 10:45 pm 
Sexy Suzy The Loggeress wrote:
I would normally throw out a bunch of Seattle people sterotypes here, but MCaver gives me a dirty look everytime I do that. frown.gif
Now would I do that? angel.gif
marylou wrote:
Oh, don't listen to him, he's from Texas
Absolutely not true! Oh wait, yes it is. I have never been made to feel unwelcome here in the least, but I do get the sense that growing up here was something special. I wish I'd had the chance, but I didn't exactly get to choose. I left Texas for as many reasons as I wanted to move specifically here, so I certainly didn't want to bring any of it with me.
marylou wrote:
anyhow he doesn't even live in Seattle.
It's true. I live in the 'burbs, but only by necessity. I'd love to live downtown, but oh the commute. dizzy.gif

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 12:00 am 
I didn't realize Bellingham had 160,000 people eek.gif . Based on the looks of the place I would have thought it had a maximum of about 40,000.

Shadwell

Shadwell
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 7:49 am 
Blue, I don't take it personally. I just know that there are a lot of people are upset about growth. I keep seeing these pieces in the Bellingham Herald wanting to know who's "marketing" the area to all of these new comers. They think that the Chamber of Commerce is to blame for promoting the virtues of living out there. This just isn't the case. I grew up in Boulder, CO which has instituted a Zero-Growth policy. It's amazing. The city looks the same as when I left it in 1988. But the $135,000 house I grew up in is now a half-million dollar hacienda because of it. It's a very modest house. So Boulder proper looks like "It's a Small World" at Disneyland, but the communities around it have grown around it and all of the way to Denver. People in Boulder are forced in to high density rental properties, and this seems like the trend in the Bellingham area. I can't speak for others, but the reason I want to relocate there is because of the outdoor activities, the climate, better food options, and more culture. With that in mind, those are the important aspects of what makes the area attractive to me and I believe it is for many others. If these are some of the reasons people look to move there, don't you think they'd want to preserve them and be good neighbors? Also, what exactly does Californication entail? Is this a legitimate concern in the near future?

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 8:39 am 
I'm a native as well and I have to agree with MtnGoat's sentiment's
Quote:
I'm a native and wouldn't presume to try and stop anyone from moving here, but I do get tired of people from out of state moving here to escape from somewhere they don't like anymore and bringing their attitude with them. No, the shopping probably isn't like it is in CA. If that's your complaint, what are you doing here? No, the people don't drive like the experts in NY. And I'm glad.
. I lived through the Californian immigration of the 80's and didn't like it. WA has grown to be more rude and impatient, I believe, as a result of it. Traffic is horrid and housing prices have increased for the past 20 years to ridiculous levels.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 19, 2004 8:47 am 
People moved here from out of state, and whine and complain that it isn't like home - there's no "Bed Bath and Beyond," no "Niketown," and voila! We have that crap now. How many friggin' bathroom wastebaskets do you need to buy in a lifetime that you need a specialty store that sells them?????????? Then they complain about taxes in Washington (forgetting that their state has a state tax of course) and vote for little Timmy Eyeman's mini- monarchy B.S. because they don't do public transportation because like back home ppublic transportation is for po' folks and who cares about po' folks. Then after they wipe out the taxes, they complain because "ewwww! the tables on the ferry are diiirrrtyyyy" They move from out of state and force Washington to be just like "back home" where there's a grocery store and gas station on every friggin street corner and tacky brick multi-level Tinker-Toy houses with cheap windows and canned decor (complete with "soaring atriums" and cheap curving staircases) draped on every now-bald hillside. Sheesh, this post is probably rambling and stupid 'cause I get so worked up about newcomers wanting everything like "back home." I LEFT TEXAS TO GET AWAY FROM "BACK HOME!" I'm moving to Edna, Wyoming. Ain't no Niketown gonna get me there.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting