Forum Index > Trail Talk > Next Weekend, Mtn Loop/Darrington
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 25, 2002 11:17 pm 
Hey, anyone recommend something in the mtn Loop/Darrington area, day hike, 7-12 miles, that I can do in a day with no or minimal snow travel? I'd prefer something closer to Darrington as I am going to camp up that way Sat. night. I'm going to be solo, so no off-trail epics... Don't know the neighborhood, need advice.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 6:55 am 
There's a bunch Al. I'm sure you'll get some good advice. Ill post some after work. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed Jun 26, 2002 8:27 am 
7 - 12 miles of mostly snow free hiking. Hmm. Can' think of too much that would qualify. Glacier Basin probably would. 4 miles on road from Barlow to Monte Cristo and then 2 more up to the basin at 4000?- 4500'? Basin no doubt has snow, but its easy to negotiate your way around there. Spectacular "little" place. N Fork of Sauk shows snow on recent WTA report. Kennedy Hot Springs would be OK. Think you'll run into snow at about 4500' or so most everywhere still.

JimK

JimK
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 8:34 am 
The best bet for a snow free trip would be Goat Lake. WTA reports show it's nearly bare to the lake. Nice waterfalls going up the valley and a great backdrop of snowy peaks behind the lake. You definitely will not be alone this time of year. Lots of great trails in that area but there will be snow travel on most.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 9:18 am 
Watch out! The bugs are out! Weather forecast calls for cloudy conditions, and may rain--but not much. I recommend Round Lake up the North Fork of the Sauk. It is recommended in the book "Don't waste your time in the North Cascades"

Art is an adventure.

PostWed Jun 26, 2002 4:21 pm 
Went up to Goat Lake on Monday, it was great! About 9 miles round trip w/1200 foot gain but it didn't seem like that much. Did the lower trail as it follows the creek and is more scenic. Very pretty view at the end. Came across three other groups on Monday, it must be summer. No snow on the trail and the bugs were not biting.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Jun 26, 2002 6:39 pm 
If you're hiking all the way to Kennedy Hot Springs, you might as well do the final couple (steep) miles to Lakey Byrne, but maybe it's still frozen. I'd do this one later in the year then. The views from Lake Byrne are great.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 9:26 am 
Right now: Try Dickermen or maybe even Pilchuck, though they are not the milage you might want, the elevation gain is good and the snow slopes cool with some glissading, and the views always fantastic. Later on: Meadow Mtn. up the Suiattle, or Lime Ridge, Green Mtn., Sulphur Mtn. and yes...Byrne Lake area. All with lots of high open ridges to explore.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com

PostThu Jun 27, 2002 10:18 am 
Hey Sports Fans! She asked for "minimal snow travel".

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 1:04 pm 
Hye, there is always the hike into the town of monkey crispo (Monte Cristo)! You'd get ten miles of road work in, and you could mess around the area. The gate should be closed so you wouldnt have to deal with cars and such... I hiked into Twin lakes one year, and the area was nice. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln