Forum Index > Pacific NW History > RR or old road next to Iron Horse by Keechelus Lk
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
umphtydunkie

umphtydunkie
PostSat Sep 04, 2004 12:56 pm 
This info is awsome! Hyak.net, would you happen to know anything about the other "towns" or "sites" along the line between the pass and Cedar Falls (Moncton)? Such as Ragner, Garcia, Bandera... I have checked out the area I believe to be Ragner, but all that seems left is a large flat lot carved into the hillside beside the Iron Horse trail where the forest service apparently stored some of the old railroad ties that were removed to make the trail. Moncton (near Cedar Falls at the bottom of Rattlesnake Lake) is kinda neat to visit, but it would have to be done in the winter when the lake is low. There aren't any houses left, but there are some foundations and some obvious fence posts (one fence line in particular that clearly marks what was someone's property).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Sep 08, 2004 9:34 am 
Rockdale Pics
On this Rockdale picture it was suppose to have been taken just as the tunnel was near completion. You can see the bridge to the right which are the old tracks, later removed after the tunnel was completed.
Rockdale aprox1915
Rockdale aprox1915

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Sep 08, 2004 9:35 am 
Another picture of Rockdale I found on my PC. Not sure of year.
rockdale 3
rockdale 3

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Sep 08, 2004 9:39 am 
Laconia
Postcard was sent in 1916 but I believe the actual pictore was taken before then of Laconia at the Summit of Snoqualmie. There was a place called "Holdens Hotel" located in Laconia which I believe could have been the building later to be called "The Summit Inn"
Laconia 1916
Laconia 1916
laconia 2
laconia 2

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Sep 08, 2004 5:48 pm 
umphtydunkie wrote:
This info is awsome! Hyak.net, would you happen to know anything about the other "towns" or "sites" along the line between the pass and Cedar Falls (Moncton)? Such as Ragner, Garcia, Bandera... I have checked out the area I believe to be Ragner, but all that seems left is a large flat lot carved into the hillside beside the Iron Horse trail where the forest service apparently stored some of the old railroad ties that were removed to make the trail. Moncton (near Cedar Falls at the bottom of Rattlesnake Lake) is kinda neat to visit, but it would have to be done in the winter when the lake is low. There aren't any houses left, but there are some foundations and some obvious fence posts (one fence line in particular that clearly marks what was someone's property).
As far as the other areas mentioned, I know little except I read that skiers would sometimes ski from the Milwaukee Ski bowl down the backside to Rockdale or even Bandera and catch the train for the return ride.... I have a cabin at Hyak and have focused my history research to WA ski and the Snoqualmie Pass area.

umphtydunkie

umphtydunkie
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 7:27 am 
Thanks again for all the info. I love the pictures, they're awsome!

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostFri Oct 22, 2004 9:20 am 
Laconia
Here is another picture of Laconia from the same 1915-1918 timeframe. Snow is up to rooftop level.....
Laconia around 1915-1918
Laconia around 1915-1918

mobiomobetta

mobiomobetta
PostSat Dec 25, 2004 11:18 am 
Hi folks, just joined up...I've done some extensive history of the Milwaukee and you guys have a great thread going here. Some stuff about the area you're discussing- if you continue east along the Iron Horse trail, you'll eventually come to Cl Elum. This place is where, until 1974 or so, trains from Seattle and from Othello changed crews. "Friends of the Cle Elum Depot" are restoring the depot, old electric substation (the Milwaukee route over the Cascades was among the first long-distance electrified railroads in the world, and trains were operated electrically from 1920 until 1971) and some of the other features. If you're hiking the tral and come up on a tall cedar pole along the way that might or might not have a cross-arm near the top, that's one of the old poles that held the wire over the track for the electric engines. Here's their website: http://milwelectric.org/ If you go to just to the east of Snoqualmie Tunnel, you'll see the rotting remains of an old ice refrigerator car. This was left after a derailment sometime in the 1950s or 1960s, if memory serves. If any of you subscribe to "www.railforums.net", there's a looooong thread started by some railroad buffs and joined by a former Milwaukee employee who operated the line in the mid- to late-1970s. Lots of wonderful information there. http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=929&page=4&pp=20 Cabin Creek (near Easton) was where a connection was built between the old MILW track and the ajoining BN track in 1980, for the purpose of rail salvage. Link to photo from "back in the day": http://www.carrtracks.com/milw2060.htm I've posted a couple photos from my hike on the pass in August 1985, before the tracks came out. Enjoy, Fred Hyde Monona, WI
Taken from what I think is Hansen Creek Bridge, one can see the weeds and decay. The supports on the bridge are for the old electric operations, holding the wire in place, which ended in November 1971.
Taken from what I think is Hansen Creek Bridge, one can see the weeds and decay. The supports on the bridge are for the old electric operations, holding the wire in place, which ended in November 1971.
This was taken just west of the bridge sen in the second photo. You can see one of the old trolley poles in the distance.
This was taken just west of the bridge sen in the second photo. You can see one of the old trolley poles in the distance.
More from Hansen Creek. Not much changed from the last oiperating days (last Milwaukee train went this way on March 15, 1980). Some vandalized track signals but by and large the way it was.
More from Hansen Creek. Not much changed from the last oiperating days (last Milwaukee train went this way on March 15, 1980). Some vandalized track signals but by and large the way it was.

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph

Snowshoe Hare
Defunct lagomorph
PostSat Dec 25, 2004 1:01 pm 
Great stuff! Thanks for sharing all that info and photos! I've known they were restoring the old depot and substation in Cle Elum, that's good news.

mobiomobetta

mobiomobetta
PostSat Dec 25, 2004 3:04 pm 
The gang there has been working on it for some years and have really made a bunch of headway over the past few years. Plan is to instal a small amount of track and eventually get some Milwaukee-related items in for display. For those of you who want to see more of the old Milwaukee up close and personal, check out the "Hiawatha Trail" which will eventually be a 57-mile route between St Regis, Montana and Avery, Idaho, utilizing the old roadbed. The Idaho portion (about 23 miles) is open for hikers and cyclists now, with much of the trail dedicated to bikes and hikers only. You proceed downgrade through tunnels and over high steel bridges (just like on the Iron Horse trail) and the day biking cost is cheap...$8. Lots of interpretive signs, too. Fred