Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mineral City 6/23/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 27, 2002 7:30 pm 
Drove the Subaru about a 1mi up the road and parked. A better 4x4 could have gone a 1/4 mi further. Started the slow, leisurely hike around 9:30am on a mostly cloudy day. Did a lot of stopping, picture taking and working? the memory banks to correlate with the past. Wasn?t much good. All of the waterfalls had a good flow to them as they terminated into Silver Creek. At some points Silver Creek had a loud thunderous roar as it made it?s way through its canyons and down it?s own falls. The water was a very clear/aqua blue that was inviting even tho it wasn?t that warm of a day. The trail was in very good shape in my opinion, as there appears to be some recent and ongoing maintenance by some one. The slide areas were not hard to cross but paying attention is recommended, as the rocks are loose. Shortly after the slide we crossed a new footbridge. The bus up the road was a real surprise. I didn?t remember it. By it?s looks it has been parked for many moons. On a post of one on the sheds was a new canteen. The area looks to be used on a somewhat frequent basis. Took the road to the right after the bus and went down to Silver Creek. Water was pretty cold but neat. Further up the trail was a cabin on the left that I vaguely remember. Looked familiar anyway. Not too far past that we ran into the only blown down on the trail. When we finally reached the last creek, West Confluence? (don?t know the name), there were some tents pitched. I had the feeling that they were the trail maintenance folks. Never saw anyone there. In that same area there appears to be a new cabin or shed being built. The last 3 photos are of the creek we turned around at. There are trees and brush being cut on the other side so the trail may be in good shape further on. Couldn?t find a comfortable crossing so bagged it right there as the water was high and swift. Never quite made it to the Big City. Over all I felt the trail was in excellent condition. Some snow in the trees but not much. 1 blow down that?s easy to cross. A couple of the old bridges are giving way but are easily crossable. Passed 2 hikers headed out on the way in. 4 passed us as did 2 bikers. Passed 4 more bikers on the way out. 4˝hr in, 2hr out Pictures NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 12:10 am 
Where exactly is this Mineral City at? Ice Girl yawn.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Jun 28, 2002 3:42 pm 
Take SR 2 East to Index. Follow Index-Galena Rd for approx. 9 mi. Turn left over conc. bridge (known as Galena area). Take first right and follow dirt rd for approx. 1 mi or until you can't drive any further. Park it and start hikin' This hike/trail will also take you over Poodle Dog Pass and into the town of Monte Cristo. Area Map NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostSun Jun 30, 2002 9:56 pm 
Thanks, cool map Ice Girl

Roxann

Roxann
PostMon Jul 01, 2002 9:52 pm 
Ice Girl, You want to go to Mineral City on Friday 7-5. My hiking partner and I are going. Roxann