Forum Index > Pacific NW History > airplane meadows
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newman

Newman
PostThu Aug 26, 2004 10:31 pm 
hey all. last year my brother and i were hiking the PCT near Echo lake in the Greenwater area. we came across a meadow, signed "Airplane Meadow". when you walk through the meadow, there are the remnants of an old airplane. we knew what kind of plane, but we wanted to know when and why the plane crashed. we stopped by the ranger station in enumclaw to find out, but none of the rangers had any idea about what we were talking about. anyone have any idea? i have attached a photo of the wreckage. been curious for some time now, and finally got around to posting the question!! thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostFri Aug 27, 2004 11:29 pm 
I am going to send you an email and we will see what we can find out. You have come to the right place. cool.gif It looks like an old Vultee BT-13 crash site. What type of plane did you think it was? I have lots of resources and will be able to help you. I research, locate, and document airplane crash sites across Washington. Thanks for your post.

Newman

Newman
PostSat Aug 28, 2004 1:18 pm 
thanks Craig. i just spoke with my brother and it turns out all we could figure out is that it is an old radial engine. (hope that is correct). i have attached a couple more photos. there wasn't anything left other than what the pictures show. no body of the plane or anything. just kind of weird. so yeah, anything you can find out, please let me know!

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Sep 01, 2004 8:17 am 
Sorry for the delay. I have been out and about the last couple of days. I did some reaserach and I found a PT-26 that crashed in the area in March 1955. Its serial number was 1036N, thus it crashed as a civilan plane. It was marked, plate #52.

Newman

Newman
PostWed Sep 01, 2004 6:59 pm 
i believe the meadow is located about 3 miles southeast of echo lake in the norse peak wilderness. if i remember correctly, it was shortly after the junction between the PCT, and trail 1187, which heads northwest from the PCT towards echo lake. the junction is also south of Arch Rock, and very near the Pierce, Yakima county border. hope this helps. thanks again!

hyak.net

hyak.net
PostWed Sep 01, 2004 7:03 pm 
Seems rather strange that if an airplane crashed at the site, only the engine would remain? Do you think maybe the engine was used for some other reason and left behind? It just seems like there would have been some sort of body parts or frame or SOMETHING???

hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Sep 01, 2004 8:06 pm 
My interest is the preservation of crash sites. I have located more then a dozen airplane crash sites in Washington and it is not uncommon for only certain parts to remain. I have been to some wrecks where the entire plane is almost perfectly intact and others where nothing bigger then a small hand exists. Because this was a civilian plane I don’t think I will be able to find anymore information. If you are still interested in historical information, check back issues (on microfilm) of a local newspaper. The frame is visible in the first picture. The fuselage is the weakest part of the plane, thus they don’t do well in crashes. Because this plane is so close to a major trail, I am sure much looting as happened over the years. If any of you ever come across an airplane crash site, please remember to only take pictures.

Beef

Beef
PostWed Aug 29, 2007 7:44 pm 
hikerjo wrote:
Sorry for the delay. I have been out and about the last couple of days. I did some reaserach and I found a PT-26 that crashed in the area in March 1955. Its serial number was 1036N, thus it crashed as a civilan plane. It was marked, plate #52.
not a pt-26, the pt-26 had an inline engine. From your picture it looks like it may have been a fabric skinned aircraft, which would explain the missing stuff.

Michaelb

Michaelb
PostTue Mar 05, 2013 10:48 pm 
I have info on the airplane. Email me ngreid83aol.com My father was a friend of the ranger that found the pilot. I have more info if you would like. Thanks.

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Aug 01, 2013 10:17 am 
Thanks, interesting. I was just near there, but foolishly did not take time to look. The rest of the aircraft may have burned, at the crash or subsequently. There's something intriguingingly beautiful about precision human technology slowly dissolving back into nature. Wrecks are oddly cool.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Aug 06, 2023 9:54 am 
I was by here last week and the wreckage looks about the same. Any details on what happened?

Dick B

Dick B
PostMon Aug 07, 2023 10:42 am 
hikerjo wrote:
My interest is the preservation of crash sites. I have located more then a dozen airplane crash sites in Washington and it is not uncommon for only certain parts to remain. I have been to some wrecks where the entire plane is almost perfectly intact and others where nothing bigger then a small hand exists. Because this was a civilian plane I don’t think I will be able to find anymore information. If you are still interested in historical information, check back issues (on microfilm) of a local newspaper.
Here is a crash site that I have been trying to get more information on, but to date have been unsuccessful. The crash happened back during WWII when I was in the 3rd grade. Either in the fall of '43 or spring of '44. The plane crashed in a stand of 2nd growth of Doug Fir, near the south side of Langley on South Whidbey. The plane came in from the north, over Saratoga Passage, and low over town. We were in class, heard highly reved engine followed by an explosion. After the bodies were removed, a lot of us visited the site. Not much left. I have tried to research the event thru all the local papers but found nothing. I also questioned the local historical society but nothing there either. It seems like I am the only one that still remains of that era that remembers it. Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of was that it may have been some sort of military aircraft, and there was a new black out.

oldwild

oldwild
PostWed Aug 16, 2023 7:43 pm 
Hi. I wish the older members of my family were still alive, they would have information on that. There is a Mr. Mills that has a kinda local museum at the little brown church on the corner of French road/Sills road and Maxwelton road. He may have some information on that. Somewhere we have a picture of a biplane that landed in the general area of Maxwelton/Bayview. I don't know where it went. In a similar note, does anyone have information on the Mt. Catherine aircraft beacon?

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Oct 22, 2023 7:58 pm 
hyak.net wrote:
Seems rather strange that if an airplane crashed at the site, only the engine would remain? Do you think maybe the engine was used for some other reason and left behind? It just seems like there would have been some sort of body parts or frame or SOMETHING???
There might be other parts in other areas. The Aiea Loop trail has the wreckage of a B24 Liberator bomber which crashed in 1944. Wreckage is off the trail, but there's other wreckage elsewhere I learned. Rugged country up there.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Oct 22, 2023 10:00 pm 
It took lots of crashes to kill just under 15,000 Air Corps crew just in the Continental U.S. I don’t think that includes Navy or Marine aviation.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!