Forum Index > Gear Talk > MSR Denali 'Shoe Recall - FYI
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 3:01 pm 
Got the following email today. I thought a few of us might be affected. News Release Release date: January 28, 2002 MSR ISSUES CONSUMER NOTIFICATION REGARDING DENALI SNOWSHOES MODELS AFFECTED: DENALI ASCENT, RED DENALI CLASSIC SEATTLE, Wash. - MSR has issued a consumer notification regarding all Denali Ascent and red Denali Classic snowshoes manufactured between September and November 2001. These snowshoes were made with a different plastic decking than previous shoes, which tends to crack under extreme flexing or hard impacts. To identify the snowshoes in question, retail stores and consumers can look at two date code dials on the bottom of the shoes. The snowshoes in question are coded 9/01, X/01 and Y/01. Retail stores with these snowshoes in stock have been asked to contact MSR immediately to exchange them. Consumers may also exchange their shoes through their local retailer or by calling MSR directly at (800) 531-9531. Erik Flink, snowshoe product group manager, noted, "The typical cracks we've seen - a cracked toe area, small pieces breaking off the bottom, etc. - won't generally affect the function of the snowshoe. People will still be able to use the snowshoes to get back, but they will want to exchange them when they get home." Since the discovery of the problem, MSR has returned to producing snowshoes using the original plastic material, which has proven reliably strong and durable over the last seven years. Since their debut in 1995, MSR's family of snowshoes has grown to include four models designed for a variety of backcountry uses - the Denali Ascent, Denali Classic, Denali Hiker and Denali Tyker. The popularity and performance of MSR snowshoes can be attributed to the unique platform design and to the many features invented by MSR, including steel traction bars for stability while traversing and flotation tails, which created the first modular snowshoe system. Founded in 1969 as a supplier of expedition climbing gear, Mountain Safety Research currently supplies the outdoor recreation market with stoves, cookware, snowshoes, water filters, organic dehydrated food, tents, hydration systems and trekking poles. More information is available on the company's Web site at www.msrcorp.com or by calling 1-800-531-9531. # # #

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 7:27 pm 
Naturally my snowshoes are 9/01. No info on the MSR website but I did e-mail them for more information. Thanks!

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 8:06 pm 
Lucky me! Only one out of three pairs will need to go back. Thanx for the heads up Allison!

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 12:29 am 
where on the snowshoe is this label?

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostWed Jan 30, 2002 11:25 am 
scot'teryx wrote:
where on the snowshoe is this label?
Never mind, I found it - and I dont get new shoes waah.gif

Izebel

Izebel
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 11:34 am 
Well ... my brand new (like I bought them last Saturday and used them once on Sunday) red show shoes were X/01. I exchanged them for a black pair at the Redmond REI last night and had no problems thanks to Allison's post. (REI was not yet aware of the recall but they are now.)

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 31, 2002 1:44 pm 
I am on MSR's press mailing list. It is not surprising that we got the info before the retailers. Happens all the time.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
JimK

JimK
PostThu Feb 07, 2002 5:41 pm 
Mine are OK. Thanks for the update.