Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Status of Fee Demo?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSat Sep 18, 2004 7:38 am 
I stand ready for action.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Sep 18, 2004 8:12 am 
Quote:
penalties of $5,000 for non-compliance
Pretty stiff.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Sep 27, 2004 6:54 pm 
Bob K

Bob K
PostTue Sep 28, 2004 12:11 am 
According to this article, there wasn't much opposition:
Quote:
House Resolution 3283, which would enact permanent fees for the recreational use of America's public lands, passed a House committee Wednesday morning with only one Congressman, Nick Rahall (D-WV), speaking in dissent, said Robert Funkhouser, president of the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition, a group that lobbies against the bill.
FYI, Washington congressman Jay Inslee is on that committee and he did not oppose it. E-mail him here. Related question: Why is the Sierra Club in favor of entrance fees to National Parks? -

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Nov 20, 2004 3:36 pm 
I'm on Scott Silver's ( http://www.wildwilderness.org/ ) email list, so here's an update (unfortunately a few days late as it was sent to to my junk mail folder). Read this one, then read my following post:
Quote:
The battle has been won. Congratulations to everyone who participated. From what I have just heard (which I consider to be as reliable as political information can be reliable), Senator Craig Thomas, with support from Senators Burns, Stevens and others have prevented the inclusion of any fee-demo related legislation within the Appropriations Bills now working their way through Congress. Not only does it appear that they have prevented HR 3283 from being attached as a rider, they appear to have ensured that there will be NO fee-demo extension passed in this lame duck session. If this information proves correct, we will have managed to get through 2004 without any new fee-demo legislation being passed. That in itself would be a major achievement. But just as important, and for the first time since this unpopular program was authorized (as a rider placed upon the 1996 Interior Appropriations Bill), Congress will not have extended the program -- a test program origanally set to end in 1999. Fee-demo is currently set to terminate at the end of next year. Unless the 109th Congress passes fee-demo legislation in its first session, fee-demo will be history on Janurary 1, 2006. I'm writing not simply to share the good news -- though it certainly is the kind of wonderful news I'd want to share as quickly as possible. I would have preferred to have waited until the proverbial fat lady had sung before saying anything, but I need another favor and I needed to explain why I'm now asking for this favor. Your response to this morning's action alert has been so overwhelming, that the Senators have asked that we stop the calls and Faxes. They need to regain the use of their phone and fax lines and they've assured us that our message has gotten through loud and clear. I'm asking you to please STOP calling and faxing Senators Burns and Stevens. Assuming no 11th hour shenanigans, it really does appear that we all have something wonderful to celebrate. The fee-demo war is not yet won, but it's likely that we will begin 2005 stronger, and better prepared to defeat fee-demo, than at any time before. My thanks to everyone. Let's keep our fingers crossed. As Congress adjourns, I will give you a final legislative update. Scott ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Scott Silver Wild Wilderness 248 NW Wilmington Ave. Bend, OR 97701 phone: 541-385-5261 e-mail: ssilver@wildwilderness.org Internet: http://www.wildwilderness.org

polarbear

polarbear
PostSat Nov 20, 2004 3:38 pm 
Here is the next email I got a few days later:
Quote:
REGULA RECANTS AGREEMENT PERMANENT FEE BILL BACK ON OMNIBUS !!!IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED !!! Wednesday night we shared with you the good news that Congressman Regula had backed off the attemt to attach the permanent fee bill HR 3283 to the appropriations omnibus as a rider. Unfortunately the story does not end there. On Wednesday, House leaders tried to insert into the Omnibus Appropriations bill the language of Representative Ralph Regula's (R-OH) fee-demo bill HR 3283. If successfully attached, upon passage of the Appropriations Bill, HR 3283 would become the law of the land, regardless of the fact that Regula's bill was not introduced in the US Senate, given a hearing, voted upon or passed by a majority of Senators. On Wednesday evening key Senators, including the Chairs of the Interior Appropriations, Energy & Natural Resources, National Parks, and Public Lands Committees and subcommittees solidly opposed inclusion of HR 3283 into the Appropriations Bill, and through their steadfast efforts the fee-demo rider was not attached. What happened after that is not precisely known, but based upon ongoing conversations with the staffs of Senate leaders, it appear that Congressman Regula went directly to the Speaker of the House Dennis Hastert (R-IL) and asked for additional muscle to be brought to bear in getting his rider attached. Hastert, in turn, appears to have gone over the heads of the above Senators and struck a deal with either Senate Appropriations Committee Chair Ted Stevens (R-AK) or Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-TN). The upshot is that Regula's fee-demo bill has now been inserted into the bill. Yet the story does not end here either. Those key Senators who successfully fought off Regula's challenge are not giving up the fight. Senators Domenici (R-NM), Thomas (R-WY), Craig (R-ID) and Burns (R-MT) are now working to have Regula's language REMOVED from the Omnibus bill before the final bill is voted upon (which may be Sunday or sooner). They need your help and here's what you can do: WHO TO CALL/FAX TODAY (and continue faxing through the weekend!) (1) Senator Bill Frist (R-TN), Senate Majority Leader, phone (202) 224-3344 fax (202) 228-1264 (2) Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK), Chair Senate Appropriations Committee, phone (202) 224-7363 fax (202) 228-0248 (3) Rep. Bill Young (R-FL) Chair House Appropriations Committee phone (202) 225-2771 fax (202) 225-9764 (4) Rep. Tom DeLay (R-TX) Leader of the House phone (202) 225-5951 fax (202) 225-5241 (5) Rep. Dennis Hastert (R-IL) Speaker of the House phone (202) 225-2976 fax (202) 225-0697 WHAT TO SAY ON THE PHONE: Please oppose HR 3283 as a rider to the Interior Appropriations bill. SAMPLE FAX: (please vary a little) Please oppose HR 3283 as an Interior Appropriations rider. S. 1107, the National Parks recreation fee bill, has already been approved by the Senate. Permanent fees for the other public lands agencies should come before public hearings in the next session of Congress. It is inappropriate to legislate permanent recreation fees by rider in a lame duck session of Congress. Thank you, Yours sincerely, (Please print your name and address very clearly). -- Please call and fax today and Saturday and forward to all. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Scott Silver Wild Wilderness 248 NW Wilmington Ave. Bend, OR 97701 phone: 541-385-5261 e-mail: ssilver@wildwilderness.org Internet: http://www.wildwilderness.org

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 12:53 am 
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 1:13 am 
Why am I not suprised? down.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 3:23 pm 
Here is the latest. I can't believe how lame this is. Evidently the fee demo cannot be passed based on its own merits alone:
Quote:
Shenanigans, dirty politics and brutally applied abuse of raw power has, once again, trumped the Democratic process. As a result of actions taken by Congress earlier in this day, the Recreation Fee Demonstration Program is no longer a "demonstration" program and, as a result, America's public lands have become less public. It's unfortunate that I must report that an important battle in what has already been a seven year long struggle was lost today. But the war is anything but over. Never doubt that the public will trump the special interests who are responsible for creating and forcing this program upon an unwilling and resentful public. Pasted below are two press releases. The first is the Western Slope No Fee Coalition. They tell it like it is. The second is from those who passed legislation so unpopular that it could not have become law unless attached as a rider to 'must-pass' legislation such as the Omnibus Appropriations bill. In the days, weeks and months ahead, I will be sharing with you increasingly aggressive strategies that, when executed, will ensure that the newly passed recreation fee program will fail. Your ongoing support and personal efforts will be even more important in the future than they have been in the past. I thank you for everything you have done. I thank you in advance for all that you will do in the future. Scott ------ begin quoted -------- Western Slope No Fee Coalition November 20, 2004 FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE For more information: Robert Funkhouser, 802/235-2299, rfunk9999@earthlink.net Kitty Benzar, 970/259-4616, wsnfc@hotmail.com OHIO CONGRESSMAN RAMS PUBLIC LAND ACCESS FEES THROUGH CONGRESS Western Senators Try But Fail to Stop Controversial Measure An Ohio congressman with no public lands in his district has forced a measure through Congress to implement permanent access fees for recreation on all land managed by the Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, and Bureau of Reclamation. Ralph Regula (R-OH), the original architect of the unpopular Recreational Fee Demonstration Program (Fee Demo), succeeded in attaching his bill as a rider to the giant Omnibus Appropriations Bill recently enacted in the lame duck session of Congress. The bill was never passed by the House and was never introduced, given a hearing, or voted upon in the Senate. Omnibus bills are considered "must pass" legislation because of the potential for a government shutdown. Some members of Congress use riders attached to them as a way of getting funding for pet projects often referred to as "pork." Regula's bill, HR 3283, allows the federal land management agencies to charge access fees for recreational use of public lands by the general public. The bill has been highly controversial and is opposed by hundreds of organizations, state legislatures, county governments and rural Americans. HR 3283 passed the House Committee on Resources in September under strong pressure from Regula, who is expected to become the next Chairman of the powerful House Appropriations Committee. His bill is a radical change in the way public lands are funded and stands in contrast to a more moderate competing bill passed by the Senate. There, Senator Thomas (R-WY) sponsored S.1107 that would let the National Park Service retain their entrance fees for local use but would allow access fees to expire in the other agencies. Thomas's bill passed the Senate in May by unanimous consent but never had a hearing in the House. Early in last week's lame duck session, Regula's attempts to attach his rider were strongly rejected by the Chairmen of all four pertinent Senate committees. Senator Thomas of the National Parks Subcommittee, Senator Domenici (R-NM) at Energy and Natural Resources, Senator Craig (R-ID) of the Public Lands Subcommittee, and Senator Burns (R-MT), Chair of the Interior Appropriations Committee, all westerners, succeeded in forcing Regula to remove his rider on Tuesday. By Thursday, however, Regula had reneged on the agreement. He went over the heads of the Senate's public lands chairmen and struck a deal with Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK), Chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee. Regula reportedly agreed to give Stevens funding for a road in a remote community in Alaska in exchange for allowing Regula's bill to be reattached. That left the four Senators who had negotiated the original deal hopping mad and disappointed millions of fee opponents who expected that such a seismic shift in policy would receive public hearings, not be done behind closed doors. "This was a victory of pork over principle," said Robert Funkhouser, President of the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition, which has worked to oppose the Fee Demo program. "Ralph Regula is responsible for the first tax increase of the Bush administration. He and Senator Stevens have sold out America's heritage of public lands for the price of a road." The Regula bill will go into effect when Fee Demo expires at the beginning of fiscal year 2005 unless the new congress acts to derail it. Its key provisions include permanent recreation fee authority for all National Forests and BLM land as well as all land managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the National Park Service. Failure to pay the fees will be a criminal offense punishable by up to $5,000 and/or 6 months in jail. Drivers, owners, and occupants of vehicles not displaying either a daily or annual pass will be presumed guilty of failure to pay and can all be charged, without obligation by the government to prove their guilt. The measure encourages agencies to contract with private companies and other non-governmental entities to manage public lands and to enforce fee collection. The bill also establishes a national, interagency annual pass called the America the Beautiful Pass, expected to cost $85-$100 initially. These provisions have encountered strong opposition in the west and in rural areas nationwide. The program is considered a double tax by many and puts the burden of funding the management agencies on the backs of rural Americans. Regula's bill failed to attract a single western sponsor but was co-sponsored by seven eastern congressmen. "This is an abuse of position by Congressman Regula" according to Funkhouser. "Changing public land policy in the middle of the night via a rider is despicable. Once again the Congressman has proven to be hostile to rural and western values and will stop at nothing to push his agenda". The provisions in HR 3283 are intended to replace the former Fee Demo program, also created by Regula. Fee Demo was similarly passed as a rider on an Omnibus Appropriations bill in 1996. Originally a two-year demonstration, it was repeatedly extended and is now in its eighth year. Fee Demo has sparked protests nationwide and widespread non-compliance. Hundreds of organized groups, as well as four state legislatures and dozens of counties, opposed the program. Contacts: Senator Thomas's office - 202-224-6441 Congressman Regula's office - 202-225-3876 Senator Stevens's office - 202-224-3004 --- END --- ===BEGIN SECOND NEWS RELEASE=== Committee on Resource, US House of Representative For Immediate Release Saturday, November 20, 2004 Contact Brian Kennedy or Matt Streit at (202) 226-9019 Recreation Fee Demonstration Bill Passes Washington, DC - Today the Congress passed H.R. 3283, the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act, introduced by Rep. Ralph Regula (R-OH). The bill will improve recreational facilities and visitor opportunities on federal recreational lands by reinvesting receipts from fair and consistent recreational fees and passes. "This legislation ensures continued access to recreational opportunites on our federal land while protecting the public's pocketbook," said House Committee on Resources Chairman Richard W. Pombo (R-CA). "We have given federal land managers the ability to assess reasonable fees for specific activities and uses. This bill will put an end to fears that fees will be misused by federal land managers since we have laid out very specific circumstances under which these fees can be collected and subsequently reinvested." The Recreational Fee Demonstration Program (Rec Fee Demo) was originally proposed in 1996 as a tool to generate needed revenue to manage the growing occurrence of recreation on public land. The program has been both praised and assailed by federal land users. Since its inception, federal land managers have been able to actively reinvest fees assessed into the site or activities used. After numerous concerns and reauthorizations, the House Resources Committee, the committee with authorizing jurisdiction, undertook reauthorizing the Rec Fee Program. Rep. Regula's bill will extend the program for 10 years and specifically states where and what a fee may and may not be charged for, while also establishing types of fees. The bill also incorporates public participation by establishing Recreation Advisory Committees that will consist of members of the local government and recreation community. This group will provide recommendations to the Secretary of the Interior regarding the establishment, elimination, or adjustment of a fee. Additionally, a Federal Lands Pass will be established for all entrance and amenity fees for federal lands. --- end --- ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Scott Silver Wild Wilderness 248 NW Wilmington Ave. Bend, OR 97701 phone: 541-385-5261 e-mail: ssilver@wildwilderness.org Internet: http://www.wildwilderness.org ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "Our hopes had been blasted, and the shadow of deep disappointment settled upon us. We had no alternative except prepare for direct action, whereby we would present our very bodies as a means of laying our cases before the conscience of the local, national, (and the international) community. - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Jeepasaurusrex

Jeepasaurusrex
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 5:51 pm 
I still dont understand it.. pay for something with your taxes.. and have to pay again to use it? rant.gif

"I would like to see things from your point of view, but I cannot get my head that far up my butt"
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 6:21 pm 
You guys really don't get it do you. The election is over. The good times and good things were just hyped to keep the ins in. The government is facing a massive deficit so they have to snag every buck they can, even better if rom a bunch of greenie hikers. Interest rates will be going up soon according to Greenspan. doh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 6:31 pm 
Fee demo was started in 1996, so I don't think it has alot to do with the recent election. The continual extension of the program is a good example of taxation with very poor representation.
Quote:
Rep. Regula's bill will extend the program for 10 years and specifically states where and what a fee may and may not be charged for, while also establishing types of fees.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Nov 21, 2004 6:41 pm 
polarbear wrote:
Fee demo was started in 1996, so I don't think it has alot to do with the recent election. The continual extension of the program is a good example of taxation with very poor representation.
Quote:
Rep. Regula's bill will extend the program for 10 years and specifically states where and what a fee may and may not be charged for, while also establishing types of fees.
I agree that FD has nothing to do with the election but politicians posturing about doing away with it just before has everything to do with it. huh.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Nov 22, 2004 8:00 pm 
Quote:
Failure to pay the fees will be a criminal offense, punishable by up to $5,000 and/or six months in jail. Drivers, owners and occupants of vehicles not displaying a daily or annual pass will be presumed guilty of failure to pay and can all be charged, without government obligation to prove their guilt, Funkhouser said. The measure also encourages agencies to contract with private firms and other non-governmental entities to manage public lands and enforce fee collection. The bill also establishes a national, interagency annual pass called the “America the Beautiful” pass, expected to cost $85 to $100 annually.
link The camel is in the tent. shakehead.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 8:50 am 
polarbear wrote:
The measure also encourages agencies to contract with private firms and other non-governmental entities to manage public lands and enforce fee collection.
Great...Bruno's Towing is now collecting fees and/or cracking skulls at a trailhead near you! paranoid.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?