Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Status of Fee Demo?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 10:09 am 
How is this "taxation with poor representation"? We are fully represented, just by people who were elected mainly by non-hikers. This is fair, since most people don't hike. And these are fees, not taxes. Taxes are assessed on everyone, even those who never go to our National Forests at all. Only people who use the fee areas have to pay the fees. And as far as paying once with our taxes and again with the fees, this is false on it's very face. The fee demo money would have to be REPLACED with tax money if the fee was canceled, or else the things done with the money would be left undone. So, why should hikers who use the trails NOT have to pay the fee, but everyone else SHOULD have to pay taxes? That's unfair. And the money is so trivial, it's hard to believe that people get so worked up about it. I paid $30 this year, and parked at fee area lots a total of 60 days. That's 50 cents per day. It costs more than that to own hiking boots. I paid $150 for my boots, and they probably won't last for three hundred hikes. And I am one of the people on this board least able to afford this fee. I have only $100 per month for all my spending money, and 1/2 of that goes for gasoline to get to trailheads. The $30 fee is a major bite out of the month's money that I buy it. I think the government needs to do a better job of showing us what the fees pay for, specifically. I don't want less trail maintenance, I don't want trailhead bathrooms closed, I don't want to park on the side of the road at Smithbrook instead of the new parking lot, etc, etc. But that's what will happen, since the majority of Americans cry for lower taxes, and we are under-funding education and a million other things, and you think Congress will raise taxes on everyone to replace the fee demo money? Dream on! You can't convince the average American to pay taxes for police, firemen, schools, roads, etc, how are you going to convince them to subsidize hikers? Please don't fall into the trap of thinking that everything you like is fair and anything you don't like is unfair. I don't like the fees, because I have to pay them, and I'd rather not. But they are PERFECTLY FAIR! Society as whole, meaning non-hikers, gets no benefit whatsoever from the fee demo money. Our general tax money still pays for the FS roads, fire-fighting and other expenses involved in just managing the National Forests. The fee demo money is supposed to go to things that are used only by the people who pay the fees. If they put up some bear wires in the Cascades, and maybe a few more backcountry toilets, then I'd be happy to pay the fee. I never mind it when I pay the National Park fees to backpack in the Olympics, because I get the benefits of the money, in usefull amenities like the bear wires. Before condemning something, please examine the alternatives to see if they are worse. Taxing everyone for things only hikers use, or not doing the things at all that the fee demo pays for, would both be worse than the fees, IMO. I refuse to compromise the principles of fairness to save myself a lousy $30 a year.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 1:24 pm 
Slugman wrote:
And as far as paying once with our taxes and again with the fees, this is false on it's very face. The fee demo money would have to be REPLACED with tax money if the fee was canceled, or else the things done with the money would be left undone. So, why should hikers who use the trails NOT have to pay the fee, but everyone else SHOULD have to pay taxes? That's unfair.
Because a) the FS was funded just fine before Fee Demo came along, and b) not everybody uses other government funded programs - like Food Stamps or the Public Libraries. Is it unfair that we have to pay for those as well?

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 1:36 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
and b) not everybody uses other government funded programs - like Food Stamps or the Public Libraries. Is it unfair that we have to pay for those as well?
Uh oh....I hear the approach of a Mountaingoat and a Whistlingmarmot... paranoid.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 1:37 pm 
How about a trial of NO FEES. Let's see what happens to the trails then. Not being sarcastic. Just seeing if things are really that dire. Horse people would probably pick up some slack--for which I am always greatful for. What would happen with WTA? Don't know.

Art is an adventure.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 1:59 pm 
Sore Feet wrote:
Slugman wrote:
And as far as paying once with our taxes and again with the fees, this is false on it's very face. The fee demo money would have to be REPLACED with tax money if the fee was canceled, or else the things done with the money would be left undone. So, why should hikers who use the trails NOT have to pay the fee, but everyone else SHOULD have to pay taxes? That's unfair.
Because a) the FS was funded just fine before Fee Demo came along, and b) not everybody uses other government funded programs - like Food Stamps or the Public Libraries. Is it unfair that we have to pay for those as well?
Feeding people who are hungry comes before subsidizing hikers. Libraries have a general benefit to society, such that if you started charging for them, there would be general outrage. And the world has changed. Money is tight, and "tax relief" is the mantra of the day. It stinks, but it exists. We have no chance to return to just general taxes to pay for trails. Our only choices are the fees, or do without what the fees pay for. But that seems like a worse choice than it is, since we are not told specifically what our fees are paying for, so how can we judge? If we had a national referendum system, where everyone could vote on what their basic taxes would pay for, trails would not make it, IMO. Too many people don't use them. It's democracy in action. A better analogy than food stamps or libraries is boat launches. They charge fees, and did so even before our state parks started charging general fees. This was based on the theory that only the people who launched boats got any benefit from them. The principle of "no general benefit, then no general taxes" will be coming soon to an activity near you. You might as well get used to it.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 8:12 pm 
Slugman wrote:
... But that seems like a worse choice than it is, since we are not told specifically what our fees are paying for, so how can we judge?
The link below provides information regarding the Pass. Links leading to this information has been posted on this site many times. This information has always been available to those to wish to see it - they'll even mail you a copy if you request it. Last spring, I attended a talk at REI held by the various local NF and NP representatives who discussed the physical and monetary impact on our trails as a result of last years' floods. This Monday is a pow-wow at the Mountaineers Clubhouse regarding the NF plan for ONF. Information is out there. It is available. http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/feedemo/accomplishments.shtml

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 8:16 pm 
From the article:
Quote:
Ralph Regula (R-OH), the original architect of the unpopular Recreational Fee Demonstration Program (Fee Demo), succeeded in attaching his bill as a rider to the giant Omnibus Appropriations Bill recently enacted in the lame duck session of Congress. The bill was never passed by the House and was never introduced, given a hearing, or voted upon in the Senate. Omnibus bills are considered "must pass" legislation because of the potential for a government shutdown.
The fact that it was done legally does not mean that I, the citizen, was well-represented. I don't believe legistlation that affects so many states and people should be passed in such a manner. The people collecting the fees (who appear to be well qualified for more skilled labor) could actually be doing useful work like building the very outhouses that the program is financing labor for. doh.gif The same people that daily check trailheads for violators and who spend time writing up tickets all summer, I believe, could have built several outhouses and done alot of parking lot/trail improvement. So part of my fee money goes to pay for fee collectors, who could actually be doing more useful work. Not everyone can afford a boat. Virtually all people have the two feet they were born with and are able to hike. My vision is a basic level of recreation, at the city, state, and federal level, supported by the general tax fund. Not everyone uses a city park, but those who do shouldn't have to pay to toss a frisbee in it--it goes against the notion of what the place was designated for to start with. Kids should be able to play in a city or state park for free, and hike on a USFS trail without having to purchase a permit.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 8:26 pm 
No one represents "you". This is a myth. We have hundreds of reprensentatives, from all over, each representing hundreds of thousands of people. If Congress passed a law putting general tax revenues towards trail maintenance against the overall will of the people, that would be bad representation. Face it, we're the minority. It's an unpleasant truth. Who can afford a boat has nothing to do with it. People without cars can't get to trailheads, either. And if they do somehow, then they don't need a pass. So there. biggrin.gif I agree with your vision of "free" recreation at many levels. Now, in a democracy, just get 51% of the country to agree with us, and we're home free. (Free is in quotes because it isn't free, it just doesn't cost the actual user directly).

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 8:44 pm 
I'm not convinced that we ARE the minority. I am convinced that this has been a long range plan of the govt since it started. They invested in this program by having volunteers pass out propaganda and nicely explain to us why it was so important. This has been an 8 year campaign (twice as long as the presidential one). This seemed to be the perfect time (after the election) to drop the hammer.

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 9:04 pm 
He who owns the hammer may drop it at will. I don't like it any more than you do, but we're stuck for at least two, and maybe four, more years, and maybe longer, who knows? Until a change occurs, it's a GOP tax-cutting hammer all the way. And even if the forces of good overtake the forces of not-so-good, they will be loath to immediately raise general taxes to let hikers save $30 per year. I don't see anyone spending political capital anytime soon for that "crucial" hiker vote. lol.gif Resisting the fee demo is a nice hobby, but it's like stamp collecting: a never-ending quest doomed to fall short of completeness. We should be telling our reps to strike a deal. Maybe we drop all opposition to the fee, and they agree to index the fee to inflation but have no other increases. Otherwise it will be $10 per day, $75 per year within five years or so, I predict.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 9:51 pm 
I don't consider fee demo a republican or democrat issue. I believe it would pass with either republican or democrat in the president's seat. It is rather a sign of a strict accounting mentality that has crept into our institutions.
Quote:
I'm not convinced that we ARE the minority. I am convinced that this has been a long range plan of the govt since it started. They invested in this program by having volunteers pass out propaganda and nicely explain to us why it was so important. This has been an 8 year campaign (twice as long as the presidential one). This seemed to be the perfect time (after the election) to drop the hammer.
I'm in agreement with this. The Demo never really was a demo.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 23, 2004 9:59 pm 
I didn't say it was a partisan issue. It's a tax-cutting issue, and the tax-cutting party is in charge. And I didn't mention the president at all. It's the Congress that controls this issue, barring a presidential veto. But to eliminate the fee, but keep overall funding levels for the forests the same, then there would have to be a tax increase. Which party is going to push THAT through anytime soon? The republicans don't want to, and the democrats can't. And I pointed out that the dems probably wouldn't try even if they could, for fear of getting taxpayers mad at them. So, since it's a done deal, and the money being sucked out of your wallet is at least going to help something you like, then I think the anger at this issue is misplaced. You should get mad about things you're paying for and NOT using, not the things you do use.

polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 1:14 am 
Hmmm....$27 million in fee-tax revenues after they pay off collection costs (not to mention the opportunity cost of those collecting the fees). This works out to maybe $.20 tax increase per person? Half the price of a postage stamp. confused.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 1:37 am 
Slugman wrote:
Feeding people who are hungry comes before subsidizing hikers. Libraries have a general benefit to society, such that if you started charging for them, there would be general outrage.
But that's beside the point. You were arguing that since only Hikers use the FS, only Hikers should pay for it. So I'm saying that since the gub'ment thinks its a good idea to double charge you for what you only had to pay once for prior to 1996, why not apply it to other programs. Obviously its stupid, so why is this acceptable? Let's have a great big hurrah! for corporate lobbiests... shakehead.gif

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 1:55 am 
Now I see your problem: you're trying to apply logic to politics! Silly bear, there's no logic to politics. Anyone who votes for any tax increase is a dead man in America today (politically). There are legions of angry voters, seething that they are paying for things that they don't use. You can read the posts of several of them just a few forums to the right on this very website. So unless you can get about fifty million people riled up to the point of apoplexy about the fee thing, then it ain't gonna change. I still say let's bargain a solution of sorts. We agree the fee stays, and that's no great concession, since it's here anyway. But we stop fighting it. In return, we get a "fee freeze" except for inflation. And the right to designate how our money is spent. You would have a menu of options to fund, and your fee would go there. If nobody wants something, it wouldn't get done. Maybe fewer trailhead bathrooms, but more washed-out bridges replaced, eh? I'll p*ss in the woods sooner than wade a river. At least you would control your money and its use for your benefit. Edit: wow, that was a long compose time. I started before sore feet's post! OK, SF, let's talk libraries. In Snohomish county, some unincorporated areas have no libraries of their own. Their residents must use a nearby library, paid for out of local property taxes. These out of towners pay a fee instead of a general tax. We could do that with our libraries for everyone if we wanted to, but we don't want to. But Congress does want to finance trail related expenses through fees rather than taxes. And we don't pay twice. Our taxes would go up if the fee demo was cancelled and no budget cuts were made.