Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Status of Fee Demo?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 8:45 am 
I am opposed to the trail fee on principal more than anything else. God knows I can afford them (at least for now). In the last few years I've been going where they ain't...There is still a lot of interesting country out there. I'm thinking that I'll be dead or close to it by the time they post fee signs at those trailheads. Ahhhhhhh Progress..... frown.gif

"Life's been good to me so far" - Joe Walsh
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 9:11 am 
It all starts to add up. Here's a sample of the various fees for "getting out" in the great outdoors (I've paid some or all of these in the past): $30 NW Forest Pass soon to be replaced by $85 to $100 "America the Beautiful" pass to park at USFS trailheads $3 per person per day for hiking in the Enchantments $50 Natural Investment Permit (day-use parking in a State Park) $7.00 non-refundable reservation fee (reservations to camp at State Park) $15.00 Standard campsite fee per night at State Park $10.00 Additional vehicle at campsite fee $21 Sno-Park Seasonal Permit (parking lots plowed by State DOT) $21 Sno-Park Special Groomed Trails Permit $10.95 Washington Vehicle Use Permit (parking @ 200 access sites managed by WDFW) $21.90 fishing license $19.71 saltwater fishing license $10.95 shellfish license $3 crab endorsement (and I have been endorsed by numerous crabs over the years) $61.32 deer/elk tag $32.85 small game license $39.42 upland bird license $11 duck stamp $100 Marymoor Park annual parking pass (or $1/ day) $30.00 Mount Rainier Annual Pass $30.00 Mount Rainier annual climbing permit I'm sure there's a few I've missed...

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 9:31 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
.. So I'm saying that since the gub'ment thinks its a good idea to double charge you for what you only had to pay once for prior to 1996, why not apply it to other programs. Obviously its stupid, so why is this acceptable? Let's have a great big hurrah! for corporate lobbiests... shakehead.gif
I flip-flop about the Pass. I useta be for it without question. $30 is not a big deal - but the principle bugs me more and more. Someone on WTA's trail talk said that if we just roll over and pony up the dough each time they ask for it, they'll keep asking for more and more and more. Just 'cause $30 isn't a lot doesn't mean we have to agree. On the other hand, the Fed truly doesn't understand trails - they think (like many citizens do) that trails just "appear" by multiple boots passing the same way, so it's difficult for the FS to get funding to build and maintain trails. There are so many other gov't faucets leaking that need the money. The FS is a red-headed step-child to the Fed - and it's up to the FS to find money the Fed says it doesn't have to dole out. The Pass is paying for the Fed's inefficiency with their budgeting problems. So in that regard, I understand the Pass. Explaining to the Fed how a chunk of land or Wilderness Areas needs funding for maintenance is like talking to a brick wall. ( I haven't really talked to a brick wall, it's just a saying) We need to resurrect Thoreau's "Civil Disobedience" (only to a certain point - he was a bit over-the-top in some regards - like living like a bum and saying how great it is and how easy it is and commerce is bad - yet he had no trouble asking for an getting on handouts from people who subscribe to commerce and are employed - and parting out an old cabin to finish his cabin - but other than that, he was completely self-sufficient shakehead.gif )

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 11:42 am 
Resist much, obey little. Walt Whitman As the feds make their cutbacks to balance the budget, agencies start to come up short. When they come up short, folks are let go, services are cut and on and on. So in order to keep some things going, the fees are charged to help maintain things. Trails, toilets, roads etc. It's not nice but I'm not sure that if things were free that much would be done. I have a feeling that groups like WTA have more to do with maintaining trails than the FS. I have no problem paying for what I use as long as the $ goes back into what I spent my $ on. Course we all already know this. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 12:05 pm 
Here are the things I would cut from trailheads: Toilet paper. You bring your own. No replacement of picnic tables. Cut down on all the signage at the trailheads. Just a sign that says this is the trail, and no fires above 5000 feet or within 1/2 mile of water sources. No new toilet facilities. No new parking facilities.

Art is an adventure.
Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 12:38 pm 
Everytime I read this thread, a song starts in my head that will not leave. Was it Joanie Mitchell that wrote "Paved paradise, put up a parking lot"?

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly

polecatjoe
Silent but deadly
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 12:44 pm 
Yup, Joni Mitchell- also wrote a very topical song: I awoke today and found the frost perched on the town It hovered in a frozen sky, then it gobbled summer down When the sun turns traitor cold and shivering trees are standing in a naked row I get the urge for going but I never seem to go I get the urge for going When the meadow grass is turning brown Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in I had me a man in summertime He had summer-colored skin And not another girl in town My darling's heart could win But when the leaves fell trembling down Bully winds did rub their faces in the snow He got the urge for going And I had to let him go He got the urge for going When the meadow grass was turning brown Summertime was falling down and winter was closing in The warriors of winter they gave a cold triumphant shout And all that stays is dying and all that lives is getting out See the geese in chevron flight flapping and racing on before the snow They've got the urge for going, they've got the wings to go They get the urge for going When the meadow grass is turning brown Summertime is falling down and winter is closing in I'll ply the fire with kindling and pull the blankets to my chin and I'll lock the vagrant winter out and bolt my wandering in I'd like to call back summertime and have her stay jut another month or so She's got the urge for going and I guess she'll have to go And she get the urge for going when meadow grass is turning brown All her empires are falling down winter's closing in

"If we didn't live venturously, plucking the wild goat by the beard, and trembling over precipices, we should never be depressed, I've no doubt; but already should be faded, fatalistic and aged." - Virginia Woolf
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 12:45 pm 
Yup. You don't know what you've got till it's gone..... Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 1:08 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Here are the things I would cut from trailheads: Toilet paper. You bring your own. No replacement of picnic tables. Cut down on all the signage at the trailheads. Just a sign that says this is the trail, and no fires above 5000 feet or within 1/2 mile of water sources. No new toilet facilities. No new parking facilities.
And a trailhead would have to "qualify" for Forest Pass applicability. If a TH has no toilet, or the toilet has no paper, or the road hasn't been graded in five years, then that TH should by "trail pass exempt."

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Nov 24, 2004 1:31 pm 
Slugman wrote:
But Congress does want to finance trail related expenses through fees rather than taxes. And we don't pay twice. Our taxes would go up if the fee demo was cancelled and no budget cuts were made.
Do they? Considering how clandestinely this bill was inserted into the Omnibus bill, I have to wonder if some members of Congress even KNOW about it. The fact that there has NEVER been a period for public discussion says a lot right there.
Chief Paulina wrote:
Everytime I read this thread, a song starts in my head that will not leave. Was it Joanie Mitchell that wrote "Paved paradise, put up a parking lot"?
Great. Now I've got John Mayer's travisty of a rendition of that song stuck in my head. hurl.gif hurl.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Dec 02, 2004 12:36 pm 
It turns out the bill for which the proposed Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act is riding on has not been voted on yet due to a discovery in the clause in another area of the bill that would have allowed members of Congress to peruse individual tax returns. A new version of the bill is scheduled to be voted on Dec. 6. Here is an aritcle on the proposed new tax from yesterday's Methow Valley Daily News.
Quote:
New 10-year public lands access fee program includes high fines and possible jail time for violators By Patrick Hannigan Feel like taking the kids out for a hike? Starting in 2005, you’d better have your new "America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass," or a day strolling the public lands surrounding the Methow Valley could cost you $5,000 and six months in jail. Buried in the 3,000-page appropriations bill currently being considered by Congress is a new version of the National Recreation Fee Demonstration Program, which established the fee commonly called "the Forest Pass" in 1996. While the new fee program has not yet become law, passage of the measure appears likely. The bill is attached to the $388 billion appropriations measure that provides funding for much of the U.S. government. The new bill, which would replace Fee Demonstration Program, is called the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act. It would dramatically increase the penalties for non-compliance, extend the fee program for 10 years, and expand the program to include federal lands managed by the Bureau of Reclamation as well as the Forest Service, National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Passage of the appropriations bill–which includes the new fee program–was delayed after the discovery of a controversial clause that would have allowed members of Congress to peruse individual tax returns. The Senate has already approved a new version of the spending bill, which drops the unpopular tax clause, but retains the language establishing the new federal lands fee program. The House is scheduled to vote on it Dec. 6. The new Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act could have significant implications for local recreationalists. Currently there are at least 25 trailheads in the Methow Valley Ranger District where a pass is required, according to district ranger John Newcom. "In the past, we’ve written quite a few warnings, but not too many citations," said Newcom. "In the future, the balance between warnings and tickets will probably start shifting towards tickets." If the new fee program passes next week, those found parking at trailheads without an "America the Beautiful" pass could face criminal penalties including six months in jail and a $5,000 fine. Presently, the standard fine for not displaying a forest pass is $50. "We are well aware the current fee program is not very popular with everyone," said Newcom. "We hope that people understand that the money to support our recreation facilities has to come from some place." Rep. Ralph Regula, a Republican congressman from Ohio, instituted the first Fee Demonstration Program back in 1996. Since his proposal for the new permanent fee program was introduced in 2003, it has languished, drawing only seven co-sponsors–all from east of Colorado. Regula’s district has no public lands that would be affected by the new fee program. Recently he added the new fee program to the huge government appropriations package. Legislators frequently attach unpopular "riders" to big appropriations bills. The Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act has never been debated by the Senate or had a public hearing. "Fee Demo is even more intensely unpopular now than it was when it was originally implemented," noted a press release by the Western Slope No-Fee Coalition, based in Colorado. "This bill would be unlikely to pass on its own merits. To tack it on as an appropriations rider is an abuse of legislative power." Strongest support for the bill has come from the American Recreation Coalition (ARC), a group that includes executives from corporations such as Disney, Kampgrounds of America and various RV and boat manufacturers. "Fees will remain only one part of caring for our legacy of public lands," said ARC president Derrick Crandall. "The fees authorized under this measure will not block access to public lands by anyone, regardless of their financial situation." According to Crandall, the new fee program "is a good framework for improved recreation experiences on America’s public lands." Isabelle Spohn of Twisp disagrees. She, along with partner Richard Tinglestad, founded "Free The Forests," a local group opposed to charging general access fees for undeveloped public lands. "This hits rural areas really hard, especially those surrounded by public lands like the Methow Valley," said Spohn. "For many families, a day in the woods is the only kind of affordable entertainment around here." According to Spohn, estimates for the cost of the new pass range from $85 to $100 a year. "Currently there’s a lot of non-compliance with the forest fees," said Spohn. In reference to the stricter penalties contained in the new bill, she added "I think they feel they need a heavy hammer to keep people in line." Spohn said that given enough public outcry, the House of Representatives could still remove the fee program from the appropriations bill before it goes to a vote Dec. 6 and becomes law. Those unable or unwilling to buy an "America the Beautiful National Parks and Federal Recreation Lands Pass," could still freely utilize posted public lands one day per year. Language in the bill allows land managers designate an official "Fee Free Day." For more information: •www.wildwilderness.org, •www.fs.fed.us/recreation/programs/feedemo/, or •www.theorator.com/bills108/hr3283.html

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostThu Dec 02, 2004 6:42 pm 
thanks for posting that article, Polarbear. I just had a couple beers with Patrick (the author of that article) the other night in Winthrop. We talked about this very subject and, after talking about the future of salmon habitat protection all morning with coworkers, I'm planning on going to home, curling up and dying. In the west we have what, 80% of public lands and 99% of the country's salmon catch....not to mention a variety of goodies that the rest of our country lacks. Yet it's Dub'ya's administration that's deciding how to manage our salmon runs and habitat and some congressman in Ohio, where there are no public lands, who's making our decisions about how to fund our recreation by inserting riders into bills for us!!! What's wrong with this picture?

hikermike

hikermike
PostSun Dec 05, 2004 6:40 pm 
What I'd like to know is, who the ACTUAL author is that inserts these little clauses into these bills. For instance, who decidied the fine should be $5,000? Is the crime rreally that onerous or the outcome of disobediance so catastrophic so as to require that for compliance? Did a specific Congressman debate the charges or which Congressional aid came up with it. Did the Congreesmen who actually submitted the bill really study it? Was it a Westerner ? I heard about the spending bill having that clause put in the bill about allowing a specific Senator, ( aRepublican by the way) to review private income tax returns? Whose office did this and why? (Obviously, it's to help the Republicans {actually, the Neo-Cons} obtain permanent control of the government, Karl Rowe's personal quest.) No, I don't favor the trail pass, I find it double taxation and very elitist. When I was growing up, the outdoors provided our poor family with just about our only main source of diversion and and inspiration through some bleak times to keep us out of trouble. I think of all the families with border line lifestyles who's kids will find their only recreation to be sitting around playing video games and smart talking to each other about who thy're going to do in to make their mark on the establishment. But then, lets keep the "riff raff" out of our playground.

Chief Paulina

Chief Paulina
PostSun Dec 05, 2004 10:18 pm 
Perhaps this will answer some of your questions. Editorial - CantonRep (an OHIO Newspaper) Friday, November 26, 2004 Hate the deficit, love that pork! We hate the growing federal budget deficit, but not so much as to hate the pork that Ralph Regula can barrel and ship to Stark County. Contradictions are a part of life, and congressional production of good works back in the district is a part of how the U.S. government serves constituents. Congressman Regula has provided an early Christmas present. A federal spending bill approved by Congress includes $1.9 million for development of the Mills Industrial Park in southern Canton. It contains a million for a traffic problem in Hartville, a half-million for the water treatment plant in Canton, and nearly a million each for the county’s two biggest hospitals, Aultman and Mercy; neither one will feel favored over the other. Regula also has secured $1 million each for two YMCAs to be developed in western Stark County. Regula, who has been representing Stark County and the rest of the 16th Ohio Congressional District since 1973, is one of the most powerful congressmen in Washington. His seniority and leadership position within the majority Republican Party give him the ability to provide all sorts of pleasant surprises for the folks back home. That’s how the system works in Washington. Seniority and majority make Stark County more worthy than a hundred other communities in the nation that could use the same measures of federal largess. Someday Stark County will not be in this position; another community will be. Those who complain about this system can stand outside at night and bay at the moon, for all the good it will do them.”

mgd

mgd
PostSun Dec 05, 2004 11:17 pm 
hurl.gif hurl.gif hurl.gif hurl.gif That almost makes me sick to my stomach. Let's see, Regula can't find enough money for trails (and the district he is in isn't even affected by his trail park pass bill), but can find plenty of money for his own state. hurl.gif hurl.gif hurl.gif hurl.gif