Forum Index > Photography Talk > Ingalls' colorless. . .
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Andrew

Andrew
PostThu Sep 16, 2004 11:52 pm 
I like the two shots of Stuart, it exemplifies how large that piece of granite is. Good tones overall, detail held within both the shadows and highlights. The first shot is a pleasing one in color, but for B&W I'd somehow try to crop the mass of darkness in the lower left portion. The last shot is a fine one as well, but the cloud blew out enough to steal attention from the rest of the scene.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 12:02 am 
That first one is money. Very nice. up.gif

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 7:52 am 
My decidedly unprofessional opinion is that my favorite is the fourth shot. I like the way the sun and shadows play on the surface of the rocks. Nice!

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 8:15 am 
All are quite good. I like the first two the best. Definite winners, especially the former. As said above, the cloud and the dark patch are a little bit distracting in the other two though they are still quite nice. I like the fourth one as well although I do think it could be even better w/o the black spot on the right. Just my opinion of course but I think that it might be interesting to see that one cropped as a vertical trimming about a fifth off of each edge. I bet those first two, especially the first, would like very nice in sepia as well. Nice work as always Trevor.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 8:19 am 
Btw, if you enjoy B&W mountain photography Trevor, here is a gallery you might take a peek at: http://www.pbase.com/annapagnacco/a_world_in_black_and_white

Trevor

Trevor
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 9:15 am 
Thanks for the comments guys, it's good to read about everyone's preferences regarding black and white. That link features some intriguing images. I favor the ominous appeal in most of them. What a great area to photograph as well, The Italian Alps. . .lucky person.

mike

mike
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:31 am 
I like #1 and #4. However on my monitor the shadows are just black patches. It would be nice to see some detail in there without losing the skies. Did you use a red filter? edit: I checked out the shadows in PS. Lots of detail in there

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 1:18 pm 
Eric wrote:
Btw, if you enjoy B&W mountain photography
I have always loved b&w and usually prefer it over colour... That website was fantastic. I've got to see if I can get some prints of some of them... I can only pray that I get a chance to take shots like those.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 1:27 pm 
#1 has my vote. Lighten up the LL corner a bit. I like the clouds in #4, too bad the rock formations don't have just a touch more light on them. JMO. Regardless, my B/W blood started to flow again. Did you do color digital to B/W or straight B/W? Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 1:59 pm 
I like the rock in the foreground and the use of shadow on #3. A little dark on my monitor as well... Wow-oh-wow-oh-wow, Anna Pagnacco has some nice shots. I've always loved the Dolomites...some of her shots take me back 10 years to my last trip through there... Check out a few of her color shots of the area...stunning as well. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 2:39 pm 
Actually, when I slide them over to the calibrated monitor (something I always forget to do) they look better. I still like 1 & 4 the best tho. On #3, I like the shadow on the rock but there's something about the foreground/background shapes that I have a hard time with. JMO Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Spotly

Spotly
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 10:59 pm 
They're all nice. I think #4 is great.

peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 11:37 pm 
Wow, these are better than even your color photos - the composition doesn't get lost in all that color. Keep them coming if you can up.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Sep 17, 2004 11:39 pm 
Excellent photos, Trevor! Makes me want to get back into B&W.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Sep 18, 2004 8:07 am 
Shuksan is looking pretty darn good from here. Nice reflection. Got more? biggrin.gif Newt