Forum Index > Photography Talk > 8 x 10s at Costco
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 11:37 am 
Anyone know how much 8 x 10s from digital runs at Costco?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 12:36 pm 
$1.98 according to someone here at work.

TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 2:24 pm 
I concur, that's what I paid for one yesterday. My first time getting pics there, hopefully they'll turn out better than Kits Camera digiprints. down.gif Can anyone recommend anywhere else to get digiprints? Just curious.

Always take the scenic route.
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 2:41 pm 
Rainbow photo is the best local place for film and digital prints (that I know of), but you pay for it.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
mike

mike
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 3:41 pm 
Find somewhere that uses a Fuji Frontier. Check out the Dry Creek Photo website. People who use the Dry Creek profiles and print on the Frontier swear by it. I believe Costco has 'em.

TravelHiker

TravelHiker
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 9:52 pm 
Got my pics back from Costco this evening -- I was quite impressed with the prints, thrilled they were so inexpensive. I did a mix of regular 4x6s, 5x7s, and one 8x10, mixed up glossy and lustre, and even did a couple of black and whites. I saw they had some Fuji machine, but I didn't capture the model name. Thanks for the advice on Rainbow photo and Dry Creek photo. Will definitely give them a shot (no pun intended).

Always take the scenic route.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Sep 20, 2004 11:29 pm 
Toldja. Heh. If you're still wondering, get one copy of the same print at each -- Bartell's and Costco -- and compare the quality of the prints. I'd be interested to know the difference, personally. For now, my vote is with Costco -- I've been stunned by the quality of output I got at 12x18 and totally pleased with the cost.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Sep 22, 2004 10:59 am 
Mike, how much are the 12x18?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 22, 2004 1:47 pm 
$2.99 for the 12x18s. Very reasonable. I usually end up ganging up my photos into a 12x18, even if they're intended to be smaller, having them print out the full sheet, and then trimming them down at the local Kinko's to fit my needs.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostWed Sep 22, 2004 4:54 pm 
How many megapixels were in the 12x18? I have a 5MP camera that takes nice 8x10 printouts. Not sure about 12x18.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 22, 2004 4:58 pm 
I got great results with a 4MP camera, even at 12x18. 5MP would be just fine. Note that you'll want to crop the image down to the correct aspect ratio before taking it in. If you don't, they will, and I'd much rather be in control of what gets cropped out of the frame than leaving it up to chance.

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource

whistlingmarmot
Sustainable Resource
PostWed Sep 22, 2004 5:56 pm 
What method do you use to resize/crop? My camera takes photos at 2592x1944 pixels, which is a ratio of 1.3. 12x18 is a ratio of 1.5. I can probably figure this out, but why re-invent the wheel.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 22, 2004 6:04 pm 
Photoshop. And when I resave them, I always save them as lossless JPEGs so as to avoid further degradation of image quality. Don't worry about the large file sizes, either. I've had no issues with their RIPs on JPEGs up to 26megs in size...

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 12:18 am 
Interesting. I'll have to try that since it sounds like a good price. I've gotten decent results on my mediocre Epson C84 at home at 300 dpi for 8x10s but going off of 3008x2000 at 12x18 would be at only 167 dpi. Are the 12x18s 100% coverage or do they have any border around the edges? I suppose the former or else you would have to calculate that into the ratio beforehand which would be a pain in the ass.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 12:26 am 
Yep. Borderless. I like the lustre finish, personally. Gives it character. And that 6MP you have will do ya fine.