Forum Index > Trail Talk > The Sinkhole
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Feb 04, 2003 12:19 am 
I'm thinking if they didn't waste all the money trying to patch the damn thing, they would have been able to build a bridge across the sliding land by now. Of course, then there'd be no novelty. tongue.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 3:34 pm 
The SinkHole as of 2-16-03 It doesn't appear that they are using blocks. Just layered fabric. NN smile.gif
work
work
traffic control
traffic control

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 6:31 pm 
Sore Feet remarked in an earlier post why they just don't build a bridge over that trouble spot rather than spending the time and money patching it all the time. Good question. I'm sure the county has thought of that solution- maybe the underlying clay deposit is too vast to reasonably bridge? What would we have for a ready topic of conversation if they did? wink.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 8:32 pm 
A bridge could be built to span the problem area. But if you consider the amount of traffic, where it goes and for how many months out of the year it would no doubt be hard to get the engineering and construction $. Now if the MLH was paved and open year round it could be a different story depending on traffic. If they can dig the clay out, layer with the fabric up to esixting and install a trench drain on the uphill side it should last for a number of years providing the river doesn't take it out. Doing what they are doing probably comes under maintenance $ and is easier to fit into the budget. Such repairs could also be considered 'Emergency Repairs.' If they put in the bridge then the topic would probably turn to 'Why didn't they do that sooner?' or 'Why didn't they spend the money where it was more needed?' NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
sinkhole

sinkhole
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 8:42 pm 
Being a sinkhole isn't easy. Usually I coexist peacefull with everyone, but El Nino has been feeding me alot of rain and as someone said earlier, you can only drink so much drink.gif drink.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif . Stuff happens. Frankly this steam shovel is alot like going to the dentist. Enough already. I think we are all hoping for an early summer.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
mulligan

mulligan
PostMon Feb 17, 2003 8:45 pm 
We are doing our best.
sinkhole
sinkhole

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster