Forum Index > Trail Talk > A snowshoe survey
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Otter

Otter
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 11:30 am 
For all you folks that do winter (snow, that stuff we all dream of!)backpacking... What snowshoes do you use, or have used? What was there sizing of the shoe and the total weight put on them? How did they perform in: deep powder? icier conditions? gong up? going down? and traversing? Also did you notice any foot slipping with in the bindings on the steeper sections and traverses? If they are not the perfect pair...what would be? What features would you change,etc? Otter (who is search for the "perfect" pair of backcountry snowshoes)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 1:14 pm 
I use the MSR Denalis. The Denalis worked liked all other snowshoes in my opinion on standard Cascade Crud. Pros (better than other snowshoes): 1) work well on sidehilling 2)good price 3)can change the float tail depending on how type of conditions and how much weight you carry—I actually do change the float tail 4) the most durable in snowshoe because I am not nice to my equipment Cons (worse than other snowshoes): 1) the binding is not durable 2)very loud on hard snow 3)crampon is not as big as I would like it for more aggressive uphilling

Art is an adventure.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 1:14 pm 
I recall this topic having some helpful info.

mvs

mvs
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 6:06 pm 
I second the MSRs
Stefan is right on. Light, small, perfect for the Cascades. In Colorado or Utah the answer would be different. I bought my first pair in 1997, when they were $99.00. Got another pair two years later, now they are all beat up. But I'm hard on me gear.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 6:41 pm 
I've got some Atlas 10's. Heavier than I would like. Have done well in the Cascades, Winthrop area and Utah.. Mine are a bit older and don't have the side rail cletes which are a plus on crust or side slope. I've had no problems with the straps (the none ratchet kind) unless I don't get them set right and tight enough right from the get go. Not all that noisy. No problem balling up. I would probably by another pair or a pair of Tubbs. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Erik the Nav

Erik the Nav
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 7:25 pm 
I like my Atlases but would probably go with Denali Ascents if I had it to do again will get a pair sometime for a second pair, though I do need the float of the Atlases if the snow isn't firm (not being the dainty sort), and I had a -bad- experience with some rental Tubbs' - total failure that was a real pain.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 7:26 pm 
My partner and I went with Tubbs Pinnacle series snowshoes. They are very aggressive as to the snow and ice that you approach. They have held up well in all conditions. Last year with all the snow was our first year of snowshoeing and we look forward to getting into a wider range of places(if it ever snows lol.gif ). Traversing, side-hilling, up, down, they got the job done. Lightweight, aggressive teeth, and a great form fit binding. A little on the spendy side, but IMO, well worth it. BW biggrin.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 9:17 pm 
I got the MSR Denalis last year. I've only used them twice so far. They are noisy but it doesn't bug me. I went snowshoeing a couple years ago with two others. One had homemade snowshoes. Me and the other had the MSR's. The homemades had the best flotation. My MSR's worked ok. The guy on the other MSR's was a bit heavier and was complaining about sinking in. I think he said something like "This is no fun at all." Maybe it depends on the person an how much you are carrying. I weigh about 155.

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 10:40 pm 
"Me too" on the MSR plastic snowshoes. Good price, great traction up, down, traversing. Ditto Stefan's complaints on noise when it's crusty snow. I like the bindings, never had a problem and I've abused them a lot. Had trouble with the front rivets, but they keep replacing the snowshoes so I'm satisfied. I notice others with MSR snowshoes do as well on steep terrain, but those with aluminum tube types don't grip as well. Nobody I go with regularly bothers with the extra tails. The front person does all the work and everybody else just stomps in their steps.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Dec 10, 2002 11:04 pm 
Now you know what I use! biggrin.gif

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Marmot

Marmot
PostWed Dec 11, 2002 9:36 am 
I think these are yours, aren't they, Hiker Boy?
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Dec 11, 2002 9:43 am 
LOL, I love them!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Dec 14, 2002 9:48 pm 
MSR's. deep powder? - pretty poor, the extenders are a meagre compromise icier conditions? - darn good (wet snow?) - excellent gong up? - darn good going down? - darn good and traversing? - darn good Also did you notice any foot slipping with in the bindings on the steeper sections and traverses? - no

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostSun Dec 15, 2002 2:06 am 
I bought Atlas 10-series last year -- LOVE 'em! >What was there sizing of the shoe and the total weight put on them? They're the 1036s ... 36-inchers. Not sure (weight-wise, but they hold ME up on deep powder, with an Arc'Teryx Bora 95 pack, fully loaded ... and I'm not a small guy). >How did they perform in: >deep powder? EXCELLENT. They might not be the lightest snowshoes around, but they're real FLOATERS. Last year after several nice powder dumps (forget the dates), I tried out my new pair, went cruising around the backside of Hyak Mt., up Mill Creek/Frog Lake area. I sought out the fluffiest, deepest stuff I could find and these shoes were fun, fun, FUN! >icier conditions? Found some moderate crust later in the season, and they still did well. >going up? Solid. No problems. >going down? Even better. >and traversing? Better still ... NO slop, no weird wiggle, just really solid bindings. And the new side rail cleats are great. >Also did you notice any foot slipping with in the bindings on the steeper sections and traverses? I purposely tried them on steeper stuff (later on) to see how they felt, especially the traverses. Gosh, they just seem so solid to me after I adjusted them to my new Columbia Excellerators. These boots work really well with these snowshoes. No slip, no funky-fit weirdness. Also, I highly recommend the deep-snow baskets I found for the first time (last year) -- accessories for my Super Makalu poles. These Leki baskets are easier to find on the internet (REI folks looked at me as though I was asking for green cheese from the moon when I asked for 'em there), but they are very sweet in deep powder and for pushin' my big butt uphill.

Copperhead Kid

Copperhead Kid
PostSun Dec 15, 2002 3:08 pm 
Copperhead Kid wrote:
They're the 1036s ... 36-inchers.
Sorry ... I keep calling these "1036" models, but the correct model name is 1044.