Forum Index > Trail Talk > How did everyone's weekend outing schedual shape up?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 7:24 pm 
I posted a trip report from my outing this weekend: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/web10.pl?FreshReports+tr+df+2002070602+time+trails+ Let's hear about YOUR trips outhere people. Tom B biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 8:10 pm 
Weekend
Da Beave and I went up Rock, Howard, and Mastiff mountains. Lots of snow still up there. Howard caps out at 7,063' and the others a little less. We had hoped to climbed Indian Head but found the road to Little Wenatchee gated 3 1/2 miles from the end. The road is soft dirt and the forest service likes to wait for that road to get good and dry before opening it up. Lots of horse trailers go up there and the horses don't like the bumps at all. So we will have to go back sometime this summer to tag Indian Head. Looking for the Indian's Head is a little like looking at those weird computer drawings that reveal another image hidden inside.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 8:25 pm 
Hey! Hey! Ice Girl and myself opted for Big Four. Choice was made do to possible nasty weather. Curious to see how well the trail had been refurbished. Everyone who was involved in the cleanup should be commended. Trail is completely cleared. Ice caves probably appearing next month. Donned crampons and climbed most of the way to top of glacier at mountain base. Cool pics. cool.gif Posting pics later. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Quark

Quark
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 10:00 pm 
Mike Collins, I did Indian Head a few yrs ago - I love the way the mountain shape seems to "drape" behind the indian face as if the mountain were a huge indian war bonnet as protrayed in old western movies - at least it seems so to me. Didja know the pumice 'barrens' on the south side (which spills onto the PCT) is an old cinder cone? It's not conical anymore, as you can see; it's more like a pumice barrens now. It's among the best summits! I may tag him again this summer on my way through the area in August.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
IBEX

IBEX
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 10:05 pm 
I managed to bag Hozomeen over the weekend. It was a “real trip” with expedition-like logistic that included Ross Lake Ferry Service and aggressively protecting your food stuff from campground bears. Also summited Little Jackass Mountain and scoped out the other Silver Creek. I planned to go back when Boeing goes on strike in September. I managed to burn up two 256meg CompactFlash cards. But, I am still learning what “White Balance” is, and I decided I didn’t like the factory default. Maybe I’ll crank a few images through PhotoShop and then post sumthin’ later. And allison, Great Trip Report! up.gif

"....what is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen...." -Rene Daumel
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Jul 08, 2002 10:32 pm 
Pasayten Wilderness
First trip to the Pasayten Wilderness for me. Took my youngest child backpacking. http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/web10.pl?TripReports+tr+df+2002070513+full+trails

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 7:01 am 
Hey, Allison, we got out to our car from the Waptus trail just as it started to rain. How did you like the mosquitos along the trail? My trip report: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/web10.pl?FreshReports+tr+df+2002070517+time+trails+[/url]

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 7:09 am 
I did pretty good. I will put up my trip report. Did Dorado Needle and some others, traversed over to Backbone Ridge and came out via Monogram Lake. Awesome weather.

Art is an adventure.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 8:49 am 
The Mozzies were heinous. I am still scratching!!! eek.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 9:26 am 
The only trip report I'd be able to post from this weekend is the drive from my house to the coffee shop. tongue.gif

Otter

Otter
PostTue Jul 09, 2002 9:38 am 
Friday the 28th of June Marmot (my husband) and I decided last minute we needed to get away...life having been a bit stressful as of recent ...so that afternoon we packed up and due to possible thunder storms we headed for a lowland trail and the east side of 410. Mesatche creek trail to American River Trail was the goal.. we set off in the rain. A mile and a half in we came to the American river..and no bridge. we bushwacked a good 1/4 mile both directions along the river but there was nothing that wasn't submerged..and the river was flowing fast , hard and deep. And withthe storms there would be the possibility of it rising even further. A little disapointed we headed back to Morse Cr... abeautiful roaring water..we found a site off trail a ways near that creek. We set up and got dinner going.. with full tummies we kicked back under our tarp, watched the rain, listened to the pleasant noise of a roaring creek, and sipped some cider spruced up with goldschlager. The next day we hiked cross country a bit and did get a nice view of a falls way in the distance...on the map it looked to me Mesatche Falls. I later talked to an older couple that had been coming out that direction for 50 years. The man assured us we ould have to come back when the river was lower and go take a look at the falls from close up. Sounds like a good plan to me. I guess there never has been a REAL bridge across the american river there at that crossing... the woman said she'd been after the powers that be to get a bridge put in ther for a long time. i told her I would add to her pestering. The trail is for horses too and during normal flow would make a great horse crossing. Any way later that afternoon we were feeling restless..wanting to explore..and so we packed up and headed that whole mile oout to the truck. We took a scenic drive along 410 and this time we went up the naches river road and i got to see horsetail falls.. a pretty little thing... would make a delightful shower when waters were warmer. Marmot and I were in awe of the rock in the area and promised ourselves a trip back to the area to see what kind of climbing might be pulled off out there. We made our way toward yakima and I for the first time got to see all the orchards inthe area and ranch land. It was all very beautiful. We made our way to Ellensburg via the Yakima Canyon road and I was in awe of the area.. so pretty.. those open bluffs really scream for some exploration and that river would be a delightful float thru that canyon. We found a place to stay in Ellensburg and the next day my husband took me on a tour of his college town. We headed back towards home stopping here and there to check things out. It was a good thing we had that little escape that weekend because I had an attack of my lymes disease soon there after and was down thru the forth and the whole weekend after that.. having to cancel our planned backpack up Ingalls Creek. Bummer... but I am slowly becoming myself againand ofcourse am mentally roaring to go. Well time to put my nose back in those hiking books! Happy Hiking!

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 5:04 pm 
Well, been out of town here and there and staying up at the cabin at Oso in between working...got in some hiking in the Finney Creek area, then caught two chrome-bright (magnificant) summer-run steehead fly fishing the North Fork Stilly 7-9 lbs. Weather hot, then rain, then hot again. A glorius bright star-filled sky last night up there (Wed.)

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com