Forum Index > Photography Talk > Mamiya Medium Format DSLR
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 7:39 am 
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092902mamiya_zd.asp Quite a machine. 36x48 CCD w/ 22 megapixels. agree.gif No word on how many megadollars it will cost.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 11:14 am 
Those were somewhat more reasonable than the Hasselblads but still out of my range of affordability.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Damian

Damian
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 11:15 am 
Eric wrote:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092902mamiya_zd.asp Quite a machine. 36x48 CCD w/ 22 megapixels. agree.gif No word on how many megadollars it will cost.
Thats a dang nice rig alright. I'll be sticking with my old RB67 for a while though, as the cost is likely in the gigadollars. And that old analog film stuff I still use with it has tons of pixels.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 12:33 pm 
*drooools* Though I think I'd rather go for a Film body ('blad H1) and a digital back. Probably cheaper. Maybe we should start a lottery pool. hmmm.gif

Andrew

Andrew
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 6:06 pm 
Damian wrote:
Eric wrote:
Thats a dang nice rig alright. I'll be sticking with my old RB67 for a while though, as the cost is likely in the gigadollars. And that old analog film stuff I still use with it has tons of pixels.
I'll take a raincheck as well. It'll take more then 22 m-pixels for me to switch from the RB.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 9:18 pm 
I suspect most people shooting medium format wouldn't be interested. Film is still clearly better in an absolute sense. Although I suspect that in the right hands you could do some awfully good results. And at a price rumored to be around 10,000 dollars I doubt that many with digital SLR owners would want to move up. But I think it is an important part of the digital evolution in several regards. Just in terms of sheer hardware, the sensor is very impressive. The larger physical sizes that you see here and with others like the 16 MP Canon and 12 MP Nikon show off larger sized CCDs in sheer physical size as well as in MP. That's a nice development to see since there did seem to be a bit of stagnation around the 4-6 megapixel area with CCDs that had a 1.5 or 1.6 FOV crop since they were not full 35 mm size. Now you are seeing that future 35 mm DSLRs have full sized CCDs and that we are even starting to see even larger ones for medium format. Im sure in time there will be mainstream large format offerings in digital. Digital is growing into all ranges of the photography world. You also have a reputable brand which isn't really in the 35 mm or compact space really getting into digital. It shows where they think the future is or perhaps where the money is going to be. For now it may be really expensive. But so were the original digital cameras and DSLRs. The only way to get to cheaper is to have a start at a expensive price point and move on down. By the time the prices move on down I for one will be very interested. The better printing possibilities of a medium format camera with the development costs and ability to edit that comes with digital is a pretty sweet combo. The great thing about digital is that you can learn as you go since you can take a zillion photos and the only costs incurred are electricity for your battery and your time. I've taken well over 10,000 photos in the last two years because I can take as many as I want without any penalty. I can take all sorts of variations on a scene by changing composition, horizontal/vertical, lenses, DOF, focus, shutter speed, b/w+sepia, filters etc. Then I can pick the best and throw away the rest for free. For me to try as much with film would have cost a couple thousand dollars. More pictures and I learn more through more experience. While medium format may not be as suited for that, it will still allow it when it is digital. So what this also does, or will do when the prices get lower, is open up medium format to more of the casual hobbyist like myself who would be happy to have the larger output of medium format but doesn't want to deal with developing or the cost of developing and may not get a high % of great shots since we don't have the expertise to be as proficient with a medium format film camera as the pros do in which case a film medium format is not a cost efficient choice. Digital may well change that. Also every camera, digital or film, requires lenses. if digital does significantly grow the medium format market in say five years, you will see some of the increased benefits of that in at least slightly lower pricing for some lenses and accessories just out of the savings gained from economies of scale. Which is good for everyone, even the film guys.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Sep 29, 2004 11:16 pm 
Eric -- you spoke my mind and even some thoughts I haven't had yet. Great post!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 8:03 pm 
Well, so you can get that baby for 10 grand. I can get a very nice Mamyia 645 film set up for 4-5 grand. Now maybe I cant do it justice, but Im willing to bet Larry, or Kerry could, with that 645 film jobber kick ass on that digital jobber! Ten years from now MAYBE. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
polarbear

polarbear
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 8:48 pm 
So as one who hasn't bought a digital camera yet, here is the question nagging in the back of my mind and probably alot of others. Is there any future in film at all? I have not doubt digital will catch up resolution-wise. At some point you probably get down to the resolution of the paper and printer, whatever the scientific term for that is. So will film go away, or will it be relegated to the articstic community with just a minor selection in film variety????

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 11:34 pm 
35mm Print film is way beyond obsolete. 35mm slide film is obsolete when compared to cameras like the Canon 1Ds. 645, 6x6, 4x5, and up will all take quite a while before they are rendered obsolete by digital, but it will happen. Eventually.