Forum Index > Photography Talk > Canon Lenses
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostMon Oct 04, 2004 8:44 pm 
Anyone know a good resource that would help me understand the various canon lens specs. For example, I know that "IS" in the lens name indicates image stablization but there's a lot more that I haven't a clue on. Thanks

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bob K

Bob K
PostMon Oct 04, 2004 9:13 pm 
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostMon Oct 04, 2004 9:15 pm 
Ask away! What else were you wondering about ? Here is a Canon website to help you out. Some links to the right explaining a few things. http://short.uigui.com/1364

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Oct 04, 2004 9:23 pm 
Canon's Website should answer everything, but it takes a lot of researching since they've "revamped" the site. A few that I know: DO- Diffractive Optics...makes the physical size and weight of the lens smaller. USM- Ultrasonic Motor...fast/quiet autofocus mechanism. L-series lenses- Professional grade lenses...most include low dispersion glass, some include fluorite elements aiding in better optics. Also, very well-built lenses (metal barreled) made to endure inclement weather. II or III- Basically a new version of an existing lens; version II, version III. TS- Tilt-shift lens. Allows you to play around with perspective to control depth of field. FT-M- Enables you to manually focus when the switch is on AF mode without breaking the gears. Helps in fine-tuning focus. I/R- Inner focusing group. Allows faster focus as compared to front element focusing. Also, barrel does not extend when focusing. S-UD- Ultra Low dispersion glass. If I recall, this decreases flare and the various aberrations... CaF2- Fluorite element...similar to S-UD... I want to say that AL is short for Aspherical elements, very finely ground glass that improves optics, not entirely sure. Hope this helps... Andrew smile.gif

Andrew

Andrew
PostMon Oct 04, 2004 9:27 pm 
This is one of those instances where I wish I could type 100+ words a minute. Thanks a lot Bob K! shakehead.gif tongue.gif

detekt

detekt
PostMon Oct 04, 2004 10:30 pm 
If you really want the all the details on Canon glass, I'd pick up a copy of "EF Lens Work III". It contains explanations of all the technology Canon uses, and is just a beautiful book.

Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Oct 06, 2004 8:28 am 
Thanks all. I checked out the website and that helped. The book is a bit harder to find and our county library doesn't carry it. Don't really want to purchase it - at least not yet smile.gif Thanks a bunch.

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSun Oct 10, 2004 12:58 am 
Spotly, simultaneous to checking out Canon's website and studying their definitions, check out some of the big photography website's out there such as fredmiranda and dpreview (I'm sure there are others) and take a look at the photos that have been posted. Most of them list the exact equipment utilized as well as what sorts of exposures were used for each shot. It's a good way to get an idea of what pros and aspiring pros (and freaks with huge toy budgets) use, what they use it for, how they set up the shots, and how different lenses capture different scenes etc. Also, check out the photo critique threads and especially read reviews of specific products (cnet, epinions) you might be interested in. This tactic has helped me learn a huge amount in the last 10 years of shooting - but it's also helped me spend a few grand! Michael