Forum Index > Trail Talk > Stuart/Colchuck Bridge Replacement
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 11:36 am 
I was surprised when I was up there Tuesday to hike Lake Caroline areas that there was no equiptment there, nor even a single sign to tell you of a closure! I really thought I'd be greated with a "BE OUT BY SUNDAY OR ELSE" warning sign. Nothing there....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 11:49 am 
I'm not seeing a TR, how was it?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 3:49 pm 
Colchuck area is the last place you'll find me this weekend. Sounds like it will be mobbed by everyone and their extended family that was planning to get in there before the "closure".

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 4:44 pm 
I'm heading to the Teanaway to bag 6 peaks in 90-100º heat tomorrow! lol.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 4:44 pm 
If you see a bruised girl thashing around in the brush near the Darrington Granite this weekend, that will be me. paranoid.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Jul 11, 2002 7:06 pm 
Maybe I'll head lamp it into Colchuck friday night and beat you ALL up there! Make a RUN over asgaard saturday. Colchuck sat night and out sunday. Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 8:06 pm 
CascadeHiker wrote:
BTW, the bugs are out in force (biting flies as well as skeeters) and it was hot up there.
Is that why you're not still up there? lol.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 8:59 pm 
I had to be back before sunday but I didn't feel bad leaving. I'll bet I passed 100 people who were on their way up to the lake.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 9:05 pm 
You had to get a permit from the ranger station for Colchuck? I didn't have to do that last year! Is this something new?

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 9:38 pm 
Permit??
Any overnighting in the Enchantment core requires a permit at 3 bucks a day (or six bucks in my case) since I was there on fri/sat. This is required at Lake Caroline, 8 mile Lake, Stuart Lake, Enchantments themselves, Snow and Nada Lakes, or in other words, anywhere in the Enchantment core if you camp overnight. There is no fee involved if you day hike any of these areas as you simply pic up a permit at the trail head. The permit I got was via the lottery held each morning at 7:45 a.m.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 10:30 pm 
Wow, I have never seen the P-lot look like that! There are NOT enough camp sites (established or not) at Colchuck for that kind of traffic! What happened with all the people at the lake CH? Tom B

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 12:03 am 
Hey look BW, the amount of people at the trailhead or the parking lot DOESNT effect the beauty of the environment! We cant be eliteists here and keep our integrity! Colchuck is as beautiful with people or without! Infact, interacting with others that enjoy the environment enough to beat their dogs (read feet) enought to get there HAS TO ADD to the experience. Why doest YOUR desire to be someplace offset anothers? I know all about solitude. I've hiked alone for the last 15 years. I've taken July and August off every year to get out there, I understand alone! That parking lot wouldnt deture me from going there. It shouldnt you either. Tom B

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 6:48 am 
I would think that Lk Stuart would have been the place to go since it seemed the majority of the people were headed to Colchuck. After reading Alan's report on Caroline, that may have been an even better choice. BPJ, I have no idea where they would've camped. I think the ranger was kept pretty busy checking permits. I've never seen so many people on that trail, NEVER. It slowed me down just stopping and answering the question "How far is the lake?" I've never seen anything like it. A group of about 15 WITH packs came in as I was breaking camp and I passed another group of 15 day hikers about ten minutes later. I was glad to be leaving. (I wish my camera had a wide angle to totally show the parking lot, I've never seen it look like that . They were parked everywhere and an extra middle row was off to the right, they were even parked down the road and more cars were coming up the road as I left, unbelievable)

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 10:16 am 
On Thrursday Tom wrote:
Colchuck area is the last place you'll find me this weekend. Sounds like it will be mobbed by everyone and their extended family that was planning to get in there before the "closure".
Who would have thunk it? biggrin.gif I spent the weekend tying up loose ends so I can enjoy the rest of my 3 week vacation.