Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lakeview Trail-Cathedral Park, BC 7/5/02
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat Jul 13, 2002 3:30 pm 
Well this wasn't the most scenic hike if taken but will be one I will remember. My friend Bonnie and I decided to go to Cathedral Provincal Park in B.C. for the 4th of July weekend. We had been up there once before an liked it very much. Hardly any people even on their long weekend in July. When we arrived at the park we did some driving around on different roads. One entrance took us to the Lakeview campsite along the Ashnola River. It started to drizzle when we arrived and I was ready to bag it and get a room. It stopped so we checked things out and decided we would stay here and then do the hike in the morning. We got up in the morninig, broke camp and geared up. Just as we were hitting the trail a couple that hand been hiking stopped and talked to us. The man told us how far they had gotten and said it was a climb. His wife commented about taking the private Jeep ride up to the core area instead. Being we were there for the hike and the ride was $55 each we decided to hoof it. The hike to the core area was to be around a 6-8 hr, 10 mile hike one way. This hike is listed as moderate to difficult. The weather started out with a nice cool feeling but soon turned much warmer. After crossing the foot bridge at the river the climb began. Fairly decent trail that on occasion was on the private road. After about and hour we began to understand the couples comments. The man was right. It was a climb. The lady was right. The ride was only $55. After about 2 1/2 hours we stopped for lunch which was a hoagie roll with cheese, tomato and avacado. I downed a couple of harvest bars for desert. Caught our breath and took a look at the Canadian quad map for the park. The trail wasn't even on it. Oh well. It's easy enought to follow so.....continue on. This friggin trail did nothing but go up and up and up. I'm not in primo shape so carrying overnight gear on a day that was now turning into 85-90 degrees was wearing be out quick. At some point along the way we met a single hiker coming down. He said he had spent the night at the Lakeview camp site. This turned out to be our objective. Make it before we collapse. Every corner and hill top gave a glimpse of reaching the top. No way. Just another corner or hill top. After about 4 hours the nerves between my toes were really painful. It was getting harder and harder to walk. It's a condition I have on occassion. I began stopping alot. My legs were turning to rubber so I kept stopping more. At the top of every hill and at every corner I was beginning to say *ah sh##, when are we gonna get some place*. After about 5 hrs we did. We could see something other than the trail in front of us. What we saw was much less than a trail. I'm sure the goats wouldn't even use it. Straight up, no switchbacks to speak of and very loose gravel. I saw this and figured I was done. I don't think I'm gonna make this one. I'm looking for a flat spot to pitch the tent and call it good. Bonnie like challenges, is not a quitter and loves the word *vertical*. She was well ahead at this time so I knew I had to continue on. One tough mother of a climb for me. Half way up this less than trail trail we were in the open. Sagebrush, Mullien and other wildflowers. We had a view but it wasn't of much. When we reached the ridge we looked for the Lakeview campsite that should have been in the area. Found an old fire ring and where a tent had been set up. This must be it. Pack off, tent up, roll out the pad and sleeping bag, I'm asleep by 6:00. I slept till 7 the next morning until the heat was unbearable in the tent. Got up and looked around. Was very pleasant being alone and up that high, for me anyway. We got the map and compass out and determined where we were and identified some mountains after breakfast. We would continue no further. We still had to hike back down the trail that had just about done us in on the way up. We packed it up and headed out in full hot sun. The trip down brought about the worst case of rubber legs I've had in many moons. Passed a couple that was going up with full gear and appeared to be doing what we just went thru. Joked that they would turn around in a bit. They did and were in the parking lot gettiing ready to leave just before we left. Back at the car we soaked our hot feet and heads in the cold river, rested and headed on out. If I was to do this again I would probably take a week or spend the $ on the ride in. Lots of good hiking with excellent views once you get there. 5 1/2 hr hike 3 +/- miles 3000' +/- I'm getting old and out of shape. Photos NN suuure.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message