Forum Index > Gear Talk > Mountainsmith Ghost
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 1:31 pm 
I'm sure I remember some of you using the Ghost. After my last hike it's time to lighten up. sooo. I'm wondering if you use them for gear on 1-3 overnights? Do they pack well with the tent, poles etc along with the bag, stove, fuel and all. This would be used for solo and some sharing the load trips. Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 2:26 pm 
So far I've only used my ghost on day trips (haven't done an overnight yet but plan to do one or two in the coming weeks). I love it for day trips because you can pack all the stuff inside that you would normally have to strap on the outside (i.e. snowshoes, trekking poles, etc.). I'm 6'0" and find it quite comfortable but rumor has it the one size fits all doesn't fit short folks as comfortably. Check out thru-hiker for a review.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 2:58 pm 
Thanks Tom, Seems like my pack, camera equip. and water are the big weight items. Does the Ghost have straps on the bottom for attaching a pad or tent? Looks like you could strap poles etc on the sides. Here's a comparison chart that I thought was hinda handy and comprehensive. Pack Comparison Chart NN smile.gif PS Thanks for all the work you put in here along with your input.

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 10:34 pm 
I just rediscovered another "pack" at www.thru-hik
Check out Sgt. Rock's comments on the Moonbow (www.moonbowgear.com) "gearskin". It's basically a pack roll with a suspension attached to one side. You lay your pad, sleeping bag and other gear on it, fold it up and use the compression straps to "unitize" the load. They also sell versions with integral bivis and/or tents. Pretty cool and Sgt. Rock's weighs 28 oz cool.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jul 17, 2002 10:03 pm 
I've got an MS Chimera currently in my posession, which is the women's version of the Auspex, part of the same Mountainsmith product line as the Ghost. Some of the features are good, and some are dumb, like a lot of Mountainsmith features. It's got an innovative suspension system, but I swear, once you've used a real pack (like an Arc'Teryx for example) it's really, really hard to get excited about anything else. Someday I'll find the perfect balance between pack weight and comfort, but so far, the answer is no. I've not heard much good about the Ghost, you might be better off looking at the Auspex. Definitely small for its stated size rating, for three days I had to put the tent on the outside, and I tend to pack really light. Good luck. If you find the perfect pack, don't forget to tell all of us what it is! PS. Water shouldn't be a big weight item most of the time around here. One 32-oz Gatorade bottle fill is 2#1 or one hyration pouch same size 2#4. My problem with weight is still FOOD, I want to eat well! smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 17, 2002 10:20 pm 
Quote:
I've not heard much good about the Ghost
rolleyes.gif "This is an amazing pack and one I highly recommend for lightweight hikers." - Thru-Hiker "These are the most comfortable lightweight load-carriers we've tested." - Backpacker 2001 Editor's Choice

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 2:44 am 
Well, for what it's worth, everyone I've talked to, who has actually USED it, for backpacking, not as a day pack, has hated it. Ditto for the Go Lite version. Big time thumbs down. shakehead.gif BTW Tom, the season's pretty short around here, you really ought to get out and do some backpacking before the Eternal Winter sets in again! agree.gif

Dante

Dante
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 7:19 am 
I guess I'm not very discerning . . .
I use my Golite Day Pack up to around 25 pounds (3 days). Ive carried more than 30 pounds in my old Gregory Day-And-A-Half Pack without complaint (a four day trip in the Enchantments when my Dad had my internal frame pack). Come to think of it, I never even complained about carrying WAY too much in a Medium ALICE Pack when I was in the Army. The Ghost looks a lot like my Day-And-A-Half Pack, which I guess is still my favorite, but the Ghost has a suspension. That said, I don't think I'll try the Ghost. The Gearskin looks a lot like an idea I had a few years ago and looks like it would give you a lot of versatility (weight and volume) in a custom-fitted 16 to 28 oz. package. www.moonbowgear.com sells a lot of other cool stuff, too.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 12:06 pm 
allison wrote:
Well, for what it's worth, everyone I've talked to, who has actually USED it, for backpacking, not as a day pack, has hated it.
Are these your canoe lugging friends? How much weight are they carrying or are they lightweight posers? lol.gif I've loaded up the pack to 20 lbs and carried it around the house and have absolutely no concerns about comfort. The only negative things I've heard about the ghost are from people who are very short, carry too much weight (>> 25 lbs), or had an early model with rod termination point problems. More reviews

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 1:17 pm 
Wasn't it the Ghost you hauled up Big Snow? I remember you had snowshoes in it, that had to be a 20-30 lb pack. How was the comfort on that trip? Probably a better example than carrying it around your house biggrin.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 2:23 pm 
Yep, that was the ghost. I don't think it was anywhere near to 20-30 lbs though. Maybe 15-20 lbs on that trip - no complaints at all.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 3:55 pm 
Are these your canoe lugging friends? I don't have any canoe lugging friends. confused.gif How much weight are they carrying or are they lightweight posers? Hmmm....not a lot of poseurs running around with me these days. 'Cep myself of course. dizzy.gif A lot of people don't have their overnight pack weight down under #20, it either takes a lot of money or a lot of commitment. Mine certainly isn't there yet. But FWIW I've probably gotten out 25 days since the beginning of spring. I've loaded up the pack to 20 lbs and carried it around the house and have absolutely no concerns about comfort. Hmm....not really familiar with this system for gear testing. Most of that is done by the old system, which involved using the gear in the woods....Maybe if there was a topo or a guide or something on all of the hikes in your house it would seem like a more reasonable locale for gear testing. Don't forget us little people who use gear and say what they think, perhaps even in many cases not beholden to and advertising revenue..... oh and flame suit on! tongue.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 7:13 pm 
As far as wearing the pack around the house, I was simply saying that loaded at 20 lbs (which is what I plan to carry) the pack seems hold that amount of weight just fine. That combined with hiking with it exensively this winter carrying 10-20 lb loads gave me enough confidence to say I have no reservations about the comfort of this pack if you plan to adhere to basic lightweight principles. If you plan to carry more than 30 lbs you probably want to go with another pack, but I don't see how you can comment objectively on this or any other lightweight pack without specifying the weight load wink.gif.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 8:56 pm 
I think it safe to say I'm packing at least 35-40 heavy lbs. I haven't weighed in yet. I'm trying to cut it back. Really. Is somewhat expensive and you know it can be hard to give up some of those neat items. I'm still weeding out the stuff I don't really need. Camera crap adds up quick. I carry 2 32 oz H2O (I like my coffee and water). I want a tent and not a tarp or hammock. I do have a down bag tho. The ghost is a good looking pack and thought it may do the trick. Had a look at Sgt Rock's and passed on that idea. I'll do some checkin on the other links as soon as I have some time. Thanks folks, NN smile.gif

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostThu Jul 18, 2002 10:08 pm 
I tried the Golite with the teeny belt that a buddy used on two 5-day trips (both involved glacier travel) and it's ok if packed right. He swears by it. We managed the Ptarmigan Ptraverse with packs like that last summer (Aug '02 BP). Ya gotta pack those things right -- use your sleeping pad as the support cylinder "frame". A 20 oz pack has lotsa merit. Especially when going up hill. p.s. not paid to say this, and trying wheely hard not to be a poseur poster.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster