Forum Index > Trail Talk > Solitude
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
smokeydon

smokeydon
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 3:10 pm 
With all the talk about the Colchuck Lake TH this past weekend I started to ponder the meaning of the word solitude. Solitude: being alone; seclusion; lonely place or life. Definitly not a desciption of Colchuck this past weekend. Tom hit it right on the nose about steering clear of it this weekend. I agree with backpacker joe about the amount of people not taking away from the beauty of the scenery, though I think it does take away from the experience. Personaly, I feel I live in a large city packed full of people and through my work deal with people all day long( mostly in negative situations). The last thing I want to do is exchange the crowds of the city for the crowds of the wilderness. I also am a SOLO outdoor enthusiast and over the years have gotten more and more into off-trail travel to escape the crowds. There is a big difference between SOLO and SOLITUDE. One can be a solo traveler and not experience solitude. I don`t think it is an elitest attitude to shun a trailhead because of crowds. Everybody has a different idea of what thier ideal wilderness experience should be and there is enough places out there for everbody to have thier own. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 3:47 pm 
Good point. My intention was to explain that I would rather have the solitude, but I wont let the lack thereof ruin my trip! TB biggrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Jul 14, 2002 7:24 pm 
in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 9:51 am 
I tend to be a solo hiker as well. As I've posted before, I am really slow on the trail due to lengthy photography stops and general out-of-shapeness, plus I tend to make last minute destination decisions based on the weather and photo conditions. These aren't condusive to having hiking partners. I also pick more remote trails mostly because they seem to be more photogenic from my experience, but I explicitly avoid the I-90 and US-2 corridors during nice weather weekends to aviod the crowds. I don't mind fellow hikers on the trail, but I'd rather stay away from the people just out for a walk with their dog. I also seem to hike more in the off-season months than during the peak season, which lends more to solitude. It's odd that I seek such isolation in the wilderness considering how much time I spend by myself in my non-hiking life. tongue.gif

Otter

Otter
PostMon Jul 15, 2002 4:15 pm 
There is a great book on this topic. it is based on women's experiences...but I think most that have had a Solo expereince in the wilderness or wonder about one might enjoy the book. The book is titled: Solo: On Her Own Adventure it is edited by Suzan Fox Rogers It is a collection of stories from various women about Solo experiences. I have read full books by some of the authors in the book also and enjoyed them for the most part. I found that after having spent so much time with themselves in a wilderness expereince they were far more bolder in their manner of writing...extremely honest about themselves...and there were some parts that would have taken a lot of guts to admit in writing..and publish. The Solo book gives a good sampling of a lot of these authors work.

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 8:31 am 
Solitude = off trail Solitude = Pesayten

Art is an adventure.
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 12:20 pm 
Solitude for me....sharing it with a hiking partner. A person to experience the adventure with me. That way you can stay within yourselves and enjoy regardless of crowds. Kind of a contradictory viewpoint because most people define solitude as being by yourself. But hey, you go with what works! BW wink.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Jul 16, 2002 7:34 pm 
I like your definition bushwacker. I've always noticed that when I've hiked solo on a lonely trail, it was always nice to run into some one after a few hours and it always gave me an extra shot of energy.